[Event] Tour Durban

News bot

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Jimmy...Ive signed up to play with the big girls :eek: [emoji14]h34r:

In that case I hope I make it to the finish in time to see you on the podium.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

In that case I hope I make it to the finish in time to see you on the podium.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

you so funny 

Seem they are not getting the numbers this year...entry closing date was extended again yesterday.

The roads are looking good...the grass has even been cut in some sections along the M7...they are even painting lines on the road.

I see some of the holes have been filled with tar on the concrete section between the M4 and 
N2...still lots of holes and cracks...but even if they just fill them with tar it will be much better, 

M19 is being resurfaced...looks like it is gona be a nice smooth ride :)

Seem they are not getting the numbers this year...entry closing date was extended again yesterday.

The roads are looking good...the grass has even been cut in some sections along the M7...they are even painting lines on the road.

I see some of the holes have been filled with tar on the concrete section between the M4 and 

N2...still lots of holes and cracks...but even if they just fill them with tar it will be much better, 

M19 is being resurfaced...looks like it is gona be a nice smooth ride :)

Not a long weekend, and not lekker to drive home Sunday pm after race.

Around 8 km after the start we make that hairpin bend onto Edwin Swales (M7), and like a few people already mentioned, stick to the very right hand lane until you get to the climb at least. It is a concrete section that is in very bad shape due to trucks carting loaded containers inland. The resurfaced downhill section down the M19 after Pinetown looks very good, but be careful as there are cat-eyes all the way down to Springfield park along this 10km highspeed adrenalin rush. The rest of the route is the usual most spectacular surface to be found in any roadrace in  SA. (IMHO). Remember, it is the last road race for us mere mortals for a while, and the aim of the exercise is to enjoy yourself and be very safe. One last piece of inside info, don't burn too many matches up the M7, and you will have plenty in the tank for a memorable ride the rest of the way. Enjoy. I do not think the lower number of riders it is a case of people voting with their wallets, rather a case of much "thinner" wallets these days. It is not the first race to extend deadlines this year.

Not a long weekend, and not lekker to drive home Sunday pm after race.

Agreed...thats why for the ctct 2017...we have planned a 10 day holiday in cape town...accommodation already booked...and the rest i have left up to lisa ( wife)...she will make sure the fuel...food...spending and a little extra money is in an account months before the trip...if dont get an entry for next year...well then i have another awesome holiday planned [emoji3]

Ok so road updates has been posted...What about an outlook on the weather. SA weather services are a bit slow to give "long term" forecasts.

For the past 3 years also make a mini holiday which include the race...IMO it is just to far and costly just for a weekends race.

Will be doing my first one, also being my first ever road race. Just hoping I finish it, since I started cycling not so long ago. In fact the race falls exactly 111 days after I started cycling. Bit nervous to be honest.

You will be fine boet. Just slip as much as possible and take the climb easy. The climb is quite long but its the only major one in the race. all the other ones are short.

If you can settle into a group that rides just above  a comfortable pace for you, that should see you getting pulled through to the end and with a time that will surprise you.

Good luck.

Due to injuries, I am unable to participate in the Cyclocross event.

Would anybody like my entry - free to anybody who wants it?

(Not sure about substitution etc)

Wind guru at the moment is looking good for Sunday, mid 20's and looks like a bit of a tail wind coming home.

Does anyone have turn by turn directions for the route?

It will be my youngsters (15) first proper road race and I want to drive the course with him before so he can be on the lookout for any possible surface, etc issues as he is still a nervous descender (I have discs on my road bike and am seriously looking forward to the drop back to the coast ;-)