Changing XX1 to 2X10

Baracuda

Dear All,

Getting frustrated and getting sore knees from a XX1 1X10 system on my bike. I have changed my 11-36 cluster to 11-40 (kalbo) and it works well, but I still have limited range. I can change the front chainring but then the top end is going to compromised and I really enjoy gunning downhills.

I am therefore considering changing to a 2X10 system.

I am not sure if anyone else has done his before, but can one merely change the spider on the XX1 cranks to a XO 2X10 spider?

e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/sram-x0-10-speed-chain-rings-am-guard/rp-prod84907

The bike is an amazing Pyga OneTen29er.

Thanks.

Edited by Baracuda

Dear All,

Getting frustrated and getting sore knees from a XX1 1X10 system on my bike. I have changed my 11-36 cluster to 11-40 (kalbo) and it works well, but I still have limited range. I can change the front chainring but then the top end is going to compromised and I really enjoy gunning downhills.

I am not sure if anyone else has done his before, but can one merely change the spider on the XX1 cranks to a XO 2X10 spider?

e.g. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/sram-x0-10-speed-chain-rings-am-guard/rp-prod84907

Thanks.

As long as it has the same interface (and I think it does) then yes, you can. 

Am I confused/unedumacated but isn't XX1 11spd?

Edit: You should be able to buy a 10-42 cassette for your XX1 - that'll add range on both sides...

Edited by Eldron

Am I confused/unedumacated but isn't XX1 11spd?

Edit: You should be able to buy a 10-42 cassette for your XX1 - that'll add range on both sides...

Edit edit: The new GX stuff is 2x11 - maybe you can integrate that into your XX1?

Xx1 is 11sp so must have xx...xx crank is one piece moulded Carbon....Eish. You can however remove the spider from an xx1 crank and fit a 2x spider as long as you use the spider for the same bb i.e. Gxp or bb30 or else you will have alignment issues

Dear All,

Thanks.

You are saying you get sore knees I also had that problem on my xo1 system I changed back to 2x10 but after a while went back to 1x11 I just replaced my front blade with a oval one sore knees gone.

I suggest first try oval blade before changing everything to 2x10.

Jacques

That should be a direct mount crank being XX1 so you will need:

1) left hand 2 X shifter

2) front derailer 2 X

3) direct mount spider with I assume 26/39 blades

4) I'd revert your cluster back to 11/36 as that will improve the 19-15 zone

Pm me if you want to buy the parts

You are saying you get sore knees I also had that problem on my xo1 system I changed back to 2x10 but after a while went back to 1x11 I just replaced my front blade with a oval one sore knees gone.

I suggest first try oval blade before changing everything to 2x10.

Jacques

Thanks for the advice.

Why not change to 2 x 11 - new front dr, new front ring setup, front shifter and rear sram gx 2x11 deraileur - just gives you newer tech than 2x10 - and possibly better range choices with 22/36 24/38 or 26/39 in the front - and no need to swap rear freehub or cluster.

Edit - I see you don't have existing 11 speed xx1 rear - maybe use a shimano 42/11 11 speed rear cluster?,or wait a bit for 46/11... just announced.

Edited by V12man

XX1 is 1 x 11, and you say you've got 1 x 10. We'll need a complete breakdown of what you've got on there to give a final answer, but my guess is that you're running XX not XX1.

If I'm right, all you'll need is a front mech, a shifter, and either a 2x spider and rings or a new crankset.

I have XX1 with 10 speed on the back.

But thanks, apparently I just need the GXP 2x spider, some rings, shifter and FD.

Should not be too much with everyone trying to go 1x and selling off shifters and FDs.

Thanks for all your advice.

I have another suggestion, fit dropper seat post and do aero tuck on downhills when you drop your seat. Works for me. It improves bike handling, you go much faster and you don't need to pedal.

I have XX1 with 10 speed on the back.

But thanks, apparently I just need the GXP 2x spider, some rings, shifter and FD.

Should not be too much with everyone trying to go 1x and selling off shifters and FDs.

Thanks for all your advice.

I changed a new bike to 1x10 last week - have unused FD (Sram x9) and 2speed Shifter (XT) . Also have cable and 2 chain rings for that matter if they happen to fit your spider and preferred ratios. PM me if you are interested