Whats is the best grease i should used for screw threads?

herrowpreeze

Any grease you already have will be fine - not enough in it to worry about.

Copperslip if you really must have - Midas/Builders warehouse/local hardware store should have - be warned - it is hard to clean off surfaces - so work clean.

Shot, thanks for that, just wanted to make sure i dont mess up my baby

Buy a quality torque wrench..... too much or too little can turn into a mess....

remember not all treads need to be greased/lubed...some need a drop or two of locktight.

Lets just qualify that and say "Blue locktite" - otherwise you struggle to get them undone.

Properly torqued however and they should not be an issue.

The colour of locktite does not matter. It's the grade, for example 501 has a lower strength than 901. And if you using locktite make sure threads on both sides are clean and free from oil etc.

Shot, thanks for that, just wanted to make sure i dont mess up my baby

You got it Lovemore....

The colour of locktite does not matter. It's the grade, for example 501 has a lower strength than 901. And if you using locktite make sure threads on both sides are clean and free from oil etc.

Correct - but locktite do use the colours to define grades http://us.henkel-adhesives-blog.com/post/All-About-Threadlockers/The-Difference-Between-Red-Blue-Green-and-Purple-Threadlockers/

Although there are multiple products in each grade category - bit of a minefield for us non engineering types :) The links in the page above have more details on which products fall into which class which I found useful.

remember not all treads need to be greased/lubed...some need a drop or two of locktight.

The reason why grease or lubricant is used is to achieve the proper pre-tension. The friction on the threads may in some cases cause the torque required to go up to the specified amount before the required pre-tension is reached (a material very prone to this is stainless steel). As far as I know loctite should provide the lubrication needed to achieve proper pre-tension before hardening and preventing vibrations from loosening the bolt/screw.

Any grease you already have will be fine - not enough in it to worry about.

Copperslip if you really must have - Midas/Builders warehouse/local hardware store should have - be warned - it is hard to clean off surfaces - so work clean.

No way man. A grease is not just a grease. Things like soap based greases tend to absorb water which is not so good when you try and keep water out. Like that white finishline grease - it is *** for pedals, headsets and bb's. But nice to stop creaking threads.

Copperslip is also nice for threads but not so nice for bearings imho.

I use copperslip grease for threads like water bottle cage bolts and a nice bearing grease for, well, bearings and bearing cups.

Copperslip is an anti-seize compound and is not intended for use as a grease (lubricant).

So Copperslip is useful on threads, especially between dissimilar metals (e.g. alu and steel) where corrosion can easily build and seize them. But you should not be using it on bearings or as a water repellent.

Bearings need lubricating greases and there are many types. For bike my favourite for parts exposed to the elements is marine grease which is designed for outboard motors and the like. It has good lubrication and strong water repellency. I use it on cranks, BBs, wheel bearings, pedals, suspension pivots and headsets.

Special dedicated greases are used for some types of suspension, ceramic bearings, some brake parts and certain freehub mechanisms.

Would it not be possible to make a list something like the following:-

Use grease on these threads

Use copperslip on these threads

Use locktight on these threads

Use NOTHING on these threads

Use x grease on these parts

Use grease when assembling these areas

Just thinking out loud as I have been around bikes a long time but certainly don't know and go with gut feel most of the time.

Quite a few pretty knowledgeable chaps here and I'm sure their experience would go a long way in helping us all?

Helping? Some pretty *** ideas going on here.

As usual it's a bunch of guys offering their opinion which they swear by, but others will scoff at

Archived