[Event] FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic

Rick Sanchez

Yup I agree. Have done 2 x 45km, 2 years ago it was a serious single track rocky climb and a mean descent that tested your skills to the max.

Last year it was a wide open track that was no challenge, except for your fitness.

Is the route this year again the same, wonder if they will change it again?

The route should be like the haka climbs, afterall it's called the Monster, not the Sissy.

That nasty first climb and descent that went through mountain sanctuary park (MSP) was removed last year. I camp at MSP sometimes, they told me they don't want the monster to go through there anymore. So I doubt it will go through there this year.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That nasty first climb and descent that went through mountain sanctuary park (MSP) was removed last year. I camp at MSP sometimes, they told me they don't want the monster to go through there anymore. So I doubt it will go through there this year.

That's a bit of a pity though, some tasty technical descents there. FIrst climb was always a road block.

How is the camping/situation at MSP nowadays? been years since I was last there.

That's a bit of a pity though, some tasty technical descents there. FIrst climb was always a road block.

How is the camping/situation at MSP nowadays? been years since I was last there.

I love that place, have been there 3 times this summer. Never been disappointed.

Skipped the Monster last year, but think the challenge is back on this year. After 3 days of Sani2C (used as a training block for the Magalies Monster) the weekend before I always feel that the Monster is a proper mountain bike race. Possibly due to tired legs, but it is a nice challenge and a well organised race.....well that was the case for the previous 2 years in any case. 

Well training has not been going at all to plan.

Haven't been on the bike once this week, hope to be back on on Tuesday.

Still a lot of time left, but I need to up the ante.

How are the rest of you doing so far? Time/week on the bike and km's ridden?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone actually know what the real distances will be?

Website state 75,40 and 20 but the entries are for 75, 35 and a 15.

Anyone willing to share some training routes around Pretoria/Centurion?

Nearest "hill" would be Klapperkop, but it's not really that steep or long

try the hills near klapper kop in the waterkloof area they are not very long 450m max, but they are super steep and spinting 6-8 of them 2 or 3 times a week wil be much beter than just sitting and spinning very long hills  :thumbup:

good luck , see you on the start line

Klapperkop is great training but I have not been there in 15 months due to safety concerns. I find 2 laps at Avianto or the yellow + red loop at Heia to be good training.

Thaba Trials will also offer good technical climbs/training.

Edited by Lighthousing

Does anyone actually know what the real distances will be?

Website state 75,40 and 20 but the entries are for 75, 35 and a 15.

Entered the 75 year and ended up doing 82 odd. :eek:

I felt it!

• 2 weeks later...

Event Name: FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic
When: 21 May 2016
Where: ATKV, Buffelspoort, North West
Category: MTB

The FNB Magalies Monster provides all the hallmarks of a truly South African mountain bike race, namely; stunning scenery, technical riding, a challenge tough enough to make you sweat, but not cry and the sense of accomplishing something unique – you are, after all, riding through an area that was formed 2 billion years ago when vast quantities of molten magma welled up from the earth’s inner core depressing the centre of an ancient seabed and thrusting the rock edges upwards. The event is affectionately named after the “Monster”, a gruelling 9km climb up the northern slope of the Magaliesberg which riders of the 80km route encounter. The Magalies Monster gives riders the chance to experience the real beauty of the Magaliesberg Mountains and the amazing rock formations of the area. Riders race through pristine vegetation and are awarded magnificent views of the Buffelspoort Valley in the heat of the race. A hugely popular event on the MTB calendar, conquering the Monster is seen as a real accomplishment in the world of Mountain Biking.

Distances: 15km, 35km and 75km

Start Times:

75km: 08h00

35km: 09h00

15km: 09h30

Entry Fees (MTB ONLY):

75km: R320

35km: R220

15km: R130

Pre-Entries Close: 13 May 2016

Go to Event Page

• 4 weeks later...