Merida vs Axis

JPVH97

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to purchase an entry level mtb. Budget is 4000-5000. I'm currently looking at the 2012 Merida TFS 100 (secondhand but hardly used) or the axis A70, 2014 model (brand new). Can anyone please advice me which to choose? They're both approx. R4500.

Kind regards and a big thanks

Jaco

my wife has an Axis A60 and its an awesome bike.  Well specced too for the price.  I like to ride it now and then as well, 26er is quite cool after spending some time on a 29er .

what do you want, toyota (Merida) or GWM (AXIS)

My first bike was a Axis A10 Rock shock Reba SRAM XO-X9 mix 2X10 nothing GWM about those specs.

Edited by Starvin' Marvin

my wife has an Axis A60 and its an awesome bike.  Well specced too for the price.  I like to ride it now and then as well, 26er is quite cool after spending some time on a 29er .

Welcome to the Hub.

My first bike was a Axis A10 Rock shock Reba SRAM XO-X9 mix 2X10 nothing GWM about those specs.

Slightly O/T but GWM has some good products, their Steed 5 is very robust and used by quiet a few farmers as "plaas bakkies". 

Slightly O/T but GWM has some good products, their Steed 5 is very robust and used by quiet a few farmers as "plaas bakkies". 

They're not bad cars, but for me it always comes down to the safety of a car. I'm not too sure about the Chinese standards.

I've had a few bikes in the past and currently riding a Merida Big nine 500. Must say I have no complaints with the bike or the specs (bought it new so will see) but I cant comment on the Axis. I have heard very good things from Axis riders so I suggest Axis as it is new and will carry a warranty.

I have a mate with one of those albeit the petrol one, he enjoys it but says it is heavy on petrol and engine maintenance is key!

I rode an A80 for a while. Ended up replacing everything but the frame and handlebars. Got a 2nd hand Silverback now, only issue was me crashing it thus far...

The first batches of Axis weren't bad, talked to the LBS the other day when I was browsing. These days the Axis are less cool, the company is putting less expensive parts on the bike where you don't see them, like hubs and wheels. He still did have Axis, but he said best value for money new bike he has is Mongoose.