Winter is Coming

RexFuzzle

So with winter approaching and with an eye on commuting no matter what I have a few questions on gear for the cold.

I've tried a big jacket and works great for the first few km but then its a sweat box, so any advice- what do you use?

Gloves?

Leggings? Or just man up?

Booties? or man up some more?

Lights are a no brainer and have recently kitted out the rig with some yellow replective tape stips on the bike which make it feel more visible- any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that for our winters, a wind jammer, arm warmers, knee warmers, toe covers, and good gloves keep out most of the cold without making you sweat.

A buff for your face ad ears and nose is optional, but really nice too.

So just a wind jammer and normal shirt underneath? Never used one- anything I should look for / avoid ?

Thankfully it is still summer here. The best is too wear several layers that are cycling specific to allow some body heat to escape, but also to protect from windchill. Important for me to keep hands warm

Less than 5 deg C = stay indoors

5-10 deg C = ear muffs, buff around the neck, long sleeve second skin vest, thermal gloves, wind jammer, leg warmers, sealskin socks, bib and cycling shirt

10-15 deg = lose the leg warmers, change second skin vest for arm warmers, lose the ear muffs and use buff if needed.

Anyone who lives in KZN has no right to post here.

I gave a training course to a bunch of people from around the country a few weeks ago. The room was set to 23 Celcius. All of the KZN people wore jerseys and complained about the cold.

Outside the whinging was epic in its proportion.

It was 26 and a bit windy.

You'd think snow was blasting across the frozen wastes of central Cape Town.

So just a wind jammer and normal shirt underneath? Never used one- anything I should look for / avoid ?

Yup! It's like a sleeveless shell. It will stop the cold air from hitting your chest. The back is normally mesh or vented so you don't end up overheating. Normal cycle shirt underneath is normally enough for me.

Buff around neck and pulled up to cover the ears. Long-sleeve shirt (or short-sleeve and arm warmers), a windproof jacket, long finger gloves (I have windproof gloves but haven't needed it for commuting).  Tights over normal cycling shorts. If very cold, then I wear a pair of fleece-tights over cycling shorts. Winter bonus is that you get to wear all the cycling shorts where the shammy is still ok but the lycra maybe not. Only caveat here is you have to wear the long tights over the shorts for the afternoon commute home ...

Just make sure your chest is warm but not sweating under your kit, being too warm can also be a downfall, descending can make you sick.

Craft make an awesome climate control undershirt, after that a +1 for all of the posts above.

Just watch out for black ice on the colder days, its can be a very sudden surprise when your mid corner  :whistling:  :nuke:

I gave a training course to a bunch of people from around the country a few weeks ago. The room was set to 23 Celcius. All of the KZN people wore jerseys and complained about the cold.

KZN has the biggest climate variations of any province over such a small area. You can be lying on the beach in Durban or trapped in a cave in a blizzard in the Drakensberg.

KZN has the biggest climate variations of any province over such a small area. You can be lying on the beach in Durban or trapped in a cave in a blizzard in the Drakensberg.

Eastern Cape 25c at the beach snowing 140km away in the Hogsback. Gotta love Nature.

So with winter approaching and with an eye on commuting no matter what I have a few questions on gear for the cold.

I've tried a big jacket and works great for the first few km but then its a sweat box, so any advice- what do you use?

Gloves?

Leggings? Or just man up?

Booties? or man up some more?

Lights are a no brainer and have recently kitted out the rig with some yellow replective tape stips on the bike which make it feel more visible- any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a can of Volvo life paint. Brilliant stuff. Have a squizz.

In Cape Town we commute at any weather.: 

No rain but cold mornings (0-5C, beautiful sunrise!): Cycle jersey plus long sleeve windproof soft shell. Afternoon often warm enough for just the jersey.

Rain, normally warmer (10-15c): very light moisture wicking long-sleeve and breathable waterproof shell. Waterproof cycling cap beneath helmet. Booties if you don't like wet feet,

Always wear cycling shorts, with baggies if there is no rain. Always wear something warm around your neck. Long legs don't work for me but for others.

Enjoy :)

In 2015 the Mercury dropped to 9 degrees. Twice in one month. We nearly perished.

Archived