Ironman

fatcyclist

I agree 2007 will be toooo soon. Question: I tried running during those rainy days and boy how my ancles was paining. Is this the norm for cyclist...

If only my one knee could take the pounding of running' date=' I might be convinced to try it for 2008...not next yr...that would be suicide!!

Now maybe I should go see Paul at BikeMax to see what my knee can and can't do...Confused

[/quote']

If you're knee handles the bike then the shuffle / walk will not likely be a problem. I ran to each drinks staion every 1.5km then walked a bit etc etc.

Hardest part on the out and back course was seeing the leaders coming in to finish their run as I was starting mine Confused

Thug

Can you please send me more details about the race that you are talking about?

Have sent you a PM

getting an early start there cervelo, be careful not to burn out before the big day.

gasant112, we covered this one before but cyclists tend to run on their toes to start with and are fairly tense. This results in shin splints and ankle/knee pain. Try get someone who knows what they are doing to give you some advice and to watch your gait and stride pattern.

I will Sir Fed, won't say its specific to IM, but gonna do some distance between the Energade tris which is spread over 3 weeks (the onew I wanna do) , will take a break in Dec and then start the final 12 weeks to IMStar

I have been thinking about switching from long distance to sprint & standard after IM next year. There are so many more races and the training places less demand on your time. Of course I will be singing another tune come March next year and I really want to do Lanzarote (and Kona) at least once.

I've been thinking Ironman SA for the last 8 months..........

And doing the distance as well........(did 3:45 cycling this morning - ALONE -and a 12km run this afternoon)

I have to get past my wife though. She has seen how much time this "sports" can take up, and well, she's not keen to share me!

I was at the event this year, giving my boet splits and support (He's preparing for Kona at the moment), and it's true - there's nothing in this country to compare. (I have been to all the other events.)

In order of importance, I rate: Running, Cycling, Swimming.

You must be able to do the swim, but swimming takes a lot of training time to shave off a couple of minutes on the day. Rather spend your time training the other two and do enough swimming to help yourself.

Must go train!

Very true BaieSukkel, the swim amounts to around 10% of the race and it would take years of training for a non-swimmer to become proficient enough (swimming is an extremely technical sport) to put up a good time.

The cycling leg constitutes about 50% of your race time and you can certainly make good gains on this leg if you are a strong rider BUT beware the monster at the end.

Running is hard enough as it is, add 3,8km of swimming and 180km of biking and you are starting on very tired legs. Good runners will still manage on or just under 5min/km whereas the swimmers and bikers can barely hang onto 6min/km. That can be a difference of an hour or more over the course of the 42km's.

Like you say, running - cycling - swimming in that order. Dont completely neglect the swimming, 3,8km is still a long way but if your weekly mileage is around 10% of your total then you are probably on track (give or take one or two long swims just before the event to sharpen up).

As for the family/wife, thats harder than the training but maybe the promise of a week in PE can sweeten the deal. She is bound to have as much fun as you but make sure you get her onto the spectators program because 12 hours is a long time to stand by the side of the road.