[Event] Swartberg100 Gran Fondo

@BigJohnSwan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry I have to miss out on this because of family vacation.... really bad planning on my wifes part- maybe next year - or later this year as a social ride with Eddy

As a matter of interest, does anybody know what the is gradient on Suikerbossie or the first climb on Suikerbosrand ?

This one?

Suikerbos Big climb

Ride Segment Meyerton, South Africa, Gauteng, South Africa

Distance

4.7km

Avg Grade

5%

Lowest Elev

1,639m

Highest Elev

1,882m

Elev Difference

243m

https://www.strava.com/segments/3008079

Okay, well, an 18.3km descent to Prince Albert then.

And are you not familiar with the Caves road and Ullrich then? It's not exactly a flat run-in to the (Strava segment) beginning of the Swartbergpas climb. ;)

True that!

http://www.mtbafrica.com/uploads/5/8/4/6/58469259/5343398_orig.png

And are you not familiar with the Caves road and Ullrich then? It's not exactly a flat run-in to the (Strava segment) beginning of the climb. ;)

I did the exact route from De Rust to PA via Oude Muragie in December.

From where you hit the tar road to the top of the pass is almost exactly 30km and all of it is uphill.

Is there anybody that wants to do a training ride around SBR or at Breedts in the next week or two ?

Hi I have uploaded the Route Map, it can also be found on the website http://www.mtbafrica.com/the-route.html

Hi BigJohn, I will be passing through Prince Albert on our way to CT from KZN Midlands the week before your incredible looking race - so sadly going to miss it. Would it be possible to do this route on my own, or does it go through private property?

Hi BigJohn, I will be passing through Prince Albert on our way to CT from KZN Midlands the week before your incredible looking race - so sadly going to miss it. Would it be possible to do this route on my own, or does it go through private property?

Rich

All of it is on public roads and are open to ride at all times.  

I did the first part last year and the second half in December as part of a longer tour.

Hi RichB,

The Gran Fondo is all on public roads, be sure not to miss the turnoff onto the middelwater road, it is just before the T-Junction onto the N12 coming from PA. The Oudemuragie turnoff onto gravel is just after De Rust.

Without support your watering holes are De Rust (Purple Elephant Cafe), Wilgewandel and Cobus se Gat.

The Medio Fondo is unfortunately on private farm land.

Hi RichB,

The Gran Fondo is all on public roads, be sure not to miss the turnoff onto the middelwater road, it is just before the T-Junction onto the N12 coming from PA. The Oudemuragie turnoff onto gravel is just after De Rust.

Without support your watering holes are De Rust (Purple Elephant Cafe), Wilgewandel and Cobus se Gat.

The Medio Fondo is unfortunately on private farm land.

Ah damn, wanted to ride the Medio Fondo on the Thursday before the main event on Saturday :(

Ah damn, wanted to ride the Medio Fondo on the Thursday before the main event on Saturday :(

I am planning to do the Piccolo Fondo on the Thursday. *

* Groenfontein road in opposite direction to this weekend's 360 and only 10% of the distance 

I am planning to do the Piccolo Fondo on the Thursday. *

* Groenfontein road in opposite direction to this weekend's 360 and only 10% of the distance