Bikes of the Epic: Fabian Rabensteiner's Trek Top Fuel

Nick

The Crossmark is the only tyres I used since I began with tubeless, on the 26" and for the last few years on both my 29" bikes as well. I just have so much faith in them. But I only use them on the rear tyre.

My sentiments too. But I made the mistake of fitting Crossmarks front and rear. Terrible front tyre - skidding all over the place. You just cannot take speed into corners. But a very strong and reliable rear tyre.

I will be replacing the front in due time with something with more traction.

Good to see the top guys choosing "common" components above the fancy pansy stuff!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like xx1 cassette and chain - x1 is black only ?

Maybe the derailleur is the only x1 thing there ?

I was thinking the same thing. Cassette looks like XX1 to me as well. Great to see the X1 though!

Nick, can you also note the frame sizes please when you do the spec .... any chance of doing a dirty and haggard rider pic next to the bike too .... you know, that really "used and spent" rider with his bike pic :)

Thanks for the articles, makes good reading

looks like xx1 cassette and chain - x1 is black only ?

Maybe the derailleur is the only x1 thing there ?

Good catch! The cassette does appear to be XX1. From a closer look at another photo the chain is actually a Shimano HG-X11 (XT 11 speed). 

As Nick mentioned, conversation and interaction with the Italian mechanic / manager was tricky... "All X1" he said as he wheeled the bike off and Nick scrambled to jot down remaining specs. He must have been suspicious of leaving us alone with the bike ;-)

The rear derailleur and shifter were most definitely X1 though.

The cassette does appear to have a expander sprocket. Looking at the photo of the rear brake.

"Shimano XD Compatible only" what I can make out.

The cassette does appear to have a expander sprocket. Looking at the photo of the rear brake.

"Shimano XD Compatible only" what I can make out.

Nope, that's the standard SRAM 11sp XX1 cassette. It says "SRAM 11-42 11sp XD Compatible only"

Good catch! The cassette does appear to be XX1. From a closer look at another photo the chain is actually a Shimano HG-X11 (XT 11 speed). 

As Nick mentioned, conversation and interaction with the Italian mechanic / manager was tricky... "All X1" he said as he wheeled the bike off and Nick scrambled to jot down remaining specs. He must have been suspicious of leaving us alone with the bike ;-)

The rear derailleur and shifter were most definitely X1 though.

Interesting! I thought you can't run a XT 11sp chain on the sram system because of shifting issues?

This is probably going to be the k@k question of the decade....but how do they get the bike to stand up like that unassisted? I don't see a rock or a stand holding it up? 

Maybe they give the bike a treat after the pic to reward it for that neat trick?

This is probably going to be the k@k question of the decade....but how do they get the bike to stand up like that unassisted? I don't see a rock or a stand holding it up? 

Maybe they give the bike a treat after the pic to reward it for that neat trick?

Normally a stick under the pedal, which is why the cranks are almost always in the 9-3 position. That, or a hand holding the front tyre and then edited out. 

EDIT: With this one, I'm going with a stick / post under the non drive side pedal, and then removed with the clone stamp tool in photoshop / lightroom. You can see a faint darker section under the non drive side pedal where it looks as if a section of the stick was left intact in the photo, as they didn't want to get too close to the spoke for fear of "removing" it. 

Grass is simple to clone stamp. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Normally a stick under the pedal, which is why the cranks are almost always in the 9-3 position. That, or a hand holding the front tyre and then edited out. 

That makes sense...I was thinking of asking if they use a guy dressed up like a 500L JoJo tank and a mountain to hold it up ..... but that just sounded stupid.