RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few shots with the .22 @ 100m this morning.

Was warm and a little windy [emoji948]

Nice shooting!!! Was watching a couple of videos over the weekend of .22 long range shooting, guys are knocking targets out to 300m!!!! I've many times considered getting myself a .22 LR but my air rifle does very much the same thing IMO when it comes to plinking. And then for fun I landed a headshot on a dassie at 101m... 

Big rifles are getting out of hand when it comes to running cost, I'm still waiting for my 300WSM but an estimated cost per round is sitting well in the R15-R22 range at the moment :eek:

Nice shooting!!! Was watching a couple of videos over the weekend of .22 long range shooting, guys are knocking targets out to 300m!!!! I've many times considered getting myself a .22 LR but my air rifle does very much the same thing IMO when it comes to plinking. And then for fun I landed a headshot on a dassie at 101m... 

Big rifles are getting out of hand when it comes to running cost, I'm still waiting for my 300WSM but an estimated cost per round is sitting well in the R15-R22 range at the moment :eek:

12 euros for 100 rounds and 15 euro for the range.Cheaper than entering a bike race :w00t:

Yeah I've seen guys hitting plates at 300m but their equipment is crazy and i wouldn't spend that on a .22 for fun.

I've hit 8" plates 200m but more luck than anything else :devil:

..........but more luck than anything else :devil:

Many years ago when I was a kid, my father did something on the range that impressed me incredibly. After our shooting was done, he put a 270 Win casing upright against the shooting wall, walked back to 100m, and from prone he knocked it over - when we went to have a look we found the casing with a perfect hole right through the middle, about a third from the base. Neat like you drilled it! He still has it in his study as proof that the impossible is possible after all! Of course I challenged him to do it again.......he simply said that he's smart enough to know to quit while he's ahead. I've tried that many a time and although I've hit it a number of times, I've never managed to punch a neat hole through it, only managed to cut and mangle it!

Edited by DJR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Medal_for_Champion_Shots_in_the_Military_Forces#Rhodesia

I learnt marksmanship from a magician by the name of Peter Waterfall, who, in his day, won this medal 3 times. He also won several medals at the Commonwealth games way back when and said his favourite distance at Bisley (that place in England) was the 1000 yards........yes, with an open sight .303 !.

Besides for the obvious technical part, most of his coaching concentrated heavily on mental focus and control of breathing, heart rate and emotions. He also did not believe in keeping the range quiet and relaxed, he shouted and disturbed us all the time, to get you to learn how to ignore distractions and focus on the task at hand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Medal_for_Champion_Shots_in_the_Military_Forces#Rhodesia

I learnt marksmanship from a magician by the name of Peter Waterfall, who, in his day, won this medal 3 times. He also won several medals at the Commonwealth games way back when and said his favourite distance at Bisley (that place in England) was the 1000 yards........yes, with an open sight .303 !.

Besides for the obvious technical part, most of his coaching concentrated heavily on mental focus and control of breathing, heart rate and emotions. He also did not believe in keeping the range quiet and relaxed, he shouted and disturbed us all the time, to get you to learn how to ignore distractions and focus on the task at hand.

Bisley shooting is something else.One of the guys i worked with took part in 1000m competitions and was SA champ at one stage.Held the provincial records as well.You could hardly see the target at that distance and they were shooting groupings.

I had Provincial colours at school for shooting.Only shot because it was cool to shoot after school at the school range.Can't remember the make of the lever action .22 we practiced on but for competitions we shot with Anshcutz rifles.Wonder what the Army did with all those rifles?

Self defence?!

Years ago, in Zim, I was told a story of an old colonial codger who farmed somewhere remote and much on his own, right through their bush war of the 1970s. He had trouble with an elephant bull raiding his vegetable garden, so, one morning decided that enough was enough, grabbed his old .500NE double rifle and pocketed a few rounds to go sort the trouble out. On his way to the Landy, he was attacked by Zanu? soldiers. Bit of a precarious situation, with two shots and maybe two more, so, he decided to give it his best and take a shot at he only baddie he could see - and who was shooting at him from behind an outbuilding. He cut the corner and shot through the wall - the next moment all hell broke loose with a massive explosion that flattened the building and a bunch of farm implements parked inside. The attack ended there and then. When the dust and smoke cleared, it was found that the round went through the wall, through the attacker, and hit a landmine he was carrying in a backpack!   

:clap:  :thumbup:  :clap:

post-62204-0-09849500-1561532334_thumb.jpeg

...........Can't remember the make of the lever action .22 we practiced on but for competitions we shot with Anshcutz rifles.Wonder what the Army did with all those rifles?

The falling block under-lever would have been a BSA most likely with Parker Hale peep sights. They looked and worked like a miniature Martini Henry action and were absolutely bulletproof as well as accurate and lasted for ever. When school shooting was stopped the SANDF collected them from all the schools and sold some of them. I think they probably still have a few thousand stored and rusting somewhere. The Anschutz was much more modern, but way more finicky and had only a small margin over the much more ancient BSA when it was time to count the holes. 

Edited by DJR

I always thought they were beautifully designed and made. Simple, elegant and bloody good!

Yeah that’s it[emoji106]

Brings back loads of memories [emoji3]

Yeah that’s it[emoji106]

Brings back loads of memories [emoji3]

I still have some targets from that time, hiding somewhere in my somewhat chaotic study, I'll just have to dig a little to find them. Probably somewhere under a pile of bike parts or in a book on fishing! :blush:

I know someone who lost the sight in his right (dominant) eye and found it impossible to shoot left handed. He then got himself a single shot Thompson Contender in 7mm-06 because he could hold the pistol right handed and aim with his left eye. With a dead rest he was extremely accurate up to 200 metres. It may look like a pistol, but sure shot like a rifle. I always thought it was the cool-as-all-hell "fixie" of the shooting world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_Remington

post-17716-0-75456700-1561710686_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Very nice, if I may ask, where did you get this? I'm also in the market for a chassis system.

Bought it at Kloppers in George. Its manufactured by MDT, but marketed under its own brand as a budget option. African Outdoors Sports (RSA agents) imported 50 units that flew off the shelves. Not sure when there will be stock again in RSA however.