RIFLE

mon-goose

this topic has probably been discussed before but can't find it

I am looking to get my rifle license this year and hopefully join a shooting range / club.

any recommendations on a nice rifle that could be used for range shooting under R10 000

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howa would be a good buy. I sold my Savage .243 and bougt myself a Howa bull barrel .243 for R10 000.

What calibre are you looking for?

22-250, 25-06 and .243 you can get some serious speed and accuracy. Bigger calibre I will look at .308.

308 is very accurate and a good rifle for hunting.

Have a look at CZ and Howa. Both decent firearms that will give you years of joy! Calibre's to consider:

• 30-06

The above are all very good, accurate rifles. Personally I would get the 30-06, it is an accurate rifle, versatile and I have seen accurate (read head) shots at 400m+ on springbuck in Namibia.

308 is also a brilliant rifle with recorded shots up to 1km... This is also the choice of calibre for most bisley competitors. 

I personally will use a 303 for a sea anchor or fence dropper. I have a 39-06 and 308. 308 is very accurate, but thats in a RSA action.

My .243 i shoot 1.5" group on 300m and I can swing a gong on 500m all day long weather permits.

Shot a springbok at 465m last year with .243 body shot. My friend did the same with his 308 , but a neck shot

If you wont be hunting, look at something like a .223. Remeber, bigger caliber==more expensive rounds.

If you hand load its all relative

Look on Guntree, as for caliber... 243,30/06 or 308

With his budget I would seriously look at a brand new Howa. Wildmans got some sweet deals. I got a .22lr with for free when I purchased my last rifle

With his budget I would seriously look at a brand new Howa. Wildmans got some sweet deals. I got a .22lr with for free when I purchased my last rifle

.308 Howa would be best I think yes.

I personally will use a 303 for a sea anchor or fence dropper. I have a 39-06 and 308. 308 is very accurate, but thats in a RSA action.

My .243 i shoot 1.5" group on 300m and I can swing a gong on 500m all day long weather permits.

Shot a springbok at 465m last year with .243 body shot. My friend did the same with his 308 , but a neck shot

stadig nou....

the Majuba kettie conquered africa 

ps. I am a little biased 

two small holes for scope mount otherwise all original, dated somewhere around 1920.

Group R5 coin at 120m, 155gr PMP factory ammo. Further than 120m the bullet drop is crazy and the shot is not worth it, esp. in EC bush. Rifle is heavy (11 kg) but I refuse to remove the full stock

1098318_10151603299168212_1909196655_n.j

Any comments on 270 as a caliber ?

my cousin uses a 270 for varmint hunting in the FS and NC. Shots are usually long and at night and I've yet to see him miss.

for short range shots he uses 223

270 is great for plains hunting, but for the bush something small or slow

A 270 is a nice rifle to shoot and really like mine.Nice flat curve and you can take down most buck.

6.5mm Creedmoor is great for longer range shots.

308 is the most popular cal and very versatile.