RIFLE

mon-goose

so i had doubts about the Remington 270 and didn't go through with the purchase. I'm worried I'm going to regret the plastic type stock. Will give it a few more days thought as I won't be able to buy another rifle for a while

Also wanted to ask if there is anyone in the pe,/ despatch area who might be willing to go have a look at a secondhand rifle for me and give me their opinion. I stay in Cape town and saw a possible option there.

I don't own a plastic stock myself but have many friends that do and none of them have complaints that I know of. It's not as pretty but handles knocks and scratches a lot better!!!

One question you need to answer for yourself before you commit to any rifle, build or calibre, is: What is the rifle's purpose? Is it a "showpiece" or a "tool"? This will govern that rifle's life going forward. Showpiece: Go wood stock, lovely engraving, if funding allows a pretty scope like a Zeiss. You will also most likely end up getting a nice leather sling, leather gun bag and some bling parts like copper sling studs etc. If the rifle is a tool: Get a stock that suits your needs, wood, plastic, alu whatever. Get a solid scope & bipod and you'll most likely end up with a nylon bag and webbing style sling. 

When it comes to guns there is no right or wrong. Much like you would not prefer to do the 94.7 on a DH bike (it's possible but not preferred) you will prefer not to shoot a springbuck at 300m with a 416 Rigby. So get something that will fulfil the purpose you need it for.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, i want something functional that will allow me to have fun at the range and the occasional hunt once or twice a year. I want something that also looks nice as well. With the amount of shooting I'lll probably do I want to try find something in the middle.

So I've been looking at second hand a bit more. And I found a really nice looking ruger 270 with a lovely looking wooden stock for R1k less than the Remington 270 new, and i could offer a little bit less maybe. Hence why I'm considering the option.

But the scratch factor is something to consider. Too many choices. I just know that if I don't get something I think looks nice I will regret it later

agreed, i want something functional that will allow me to have fun at the range and the occasional hunt once or twice a year. I want something that also looks nice as well. With the amount of shooting I'lll probably do I want to try find something in the middle.

So I've been looking at second hand a bit more. And I found a really nice looking ruger 270 with a lovely looking wooden stock for R1k less than the Remington 270 new, and i could offer a little bit less maybe. Hence why I'm considering the option.

But the scratch factor is something to consider. Too many choices. I just know that if I don't get something I think looks nice I will regret it later

Ooooh do not go down that route. R1k always leads to for R1k more/less I can get this or that. That's how people end up on R100k rifles!!!

Depending on the budget, and for a good "it looks pretty and it works" rifle I would look at the Howa 1500 models. Black plastic body (which is prettier than the remington IMO) and a stainless bull barrel to give it the bling factor. 

My choice however would be the Tikka Super Varmint (and yes I am biased, have one on the way in 300wsm PS. how do you know someone owns a 300, they tell ya!!!). It's not as pretty as the Howa but the Tikka has a bit more adjustability in the stock, easier to add on adjustable butt plates at a later stage, and a decent size magazine. 

:) 

The ruger just looks soo pretty. I have a tightish budget and could use the difference to thread the barrel and then get a silencer as well

I have seen a HOWA 1500 270 for the same price as well with a heavy barrel. I would prefer howa over remington

The tikka is also nice.

these are the two I'm looking at............

I won't comment on the specific rifles, because I don't know them well enough, but I will say this:

Unlike with a lot of other mechanical things, second hand rifles, even pretty old ones, can be a very good buy. Provided that you check it out or have a good gunsmith (who knows his rifles, not all do) check it out. Depending on how thorough you want to be, that can include shooting a grouping with it and disassembling it to check hidden bits. Many great rifles were built that will last a hundred years or more provided they are treated and maintained well. Very few people shoot enough to wear a rifle barrel out, but some calibres are more prone to this than others. Be careful buying from professionals doing culling. Have it checked by a gunsmith. General abuse is often seen in dings, scratches and rust. If you see that, check the mechanicals even more carefully.

There are several old models that have become icons and will command high prices. Things like early Rigbys, Mausers and Pre 1964 Winchesters. If you find one of those in good condition for a fair price, you will have a gem that will increase in value. For workaday models, you can often buy a bargain that will be as good or better than the comparable modern version.

It sounds a bit like buying old steel bikes, doesn't it? Find a Sauer (Colnago) and you will keep it forever, but a locally made Musgrave (Alpina) will get you biltong (Tour of Ara) just the same!   

Edited by DJR

these are the two I'm looking at

These are two completely different creatures!!!! Caliber traits differ by miles and even more so the physical characteristics (normal barrel vs bull, wood vs synthetic).

• The Ruger indeed is a thing of beauty!  What makes it even a more compelling purchase is that it comes with dies and brass. 
  • The Howa is a more modern version and will weigh a fair bit more. I like the fact that it has picatinny rails rails and a bit of work was done to the trigger.

Out of the two I would go for the Ruger based on the caliber (flat and fast), I'm not a .308 fan even tho as a working gun I think the Howa may be a better option.

Buying secondhand is as DJR stated in very rare occasions a bad thing, just have it checked out properly. 

thanks. They are different and I'm more keen on hte 270 to be honest. Physical weight of the gun is a factor for me and I would prefer something lighter for hunting, so the ruger looks better.

My father in law is familiar with rifles and has a few of his own so he would be able to give it a good inspection.. Am going to ask him to go have a look if he can.  Will keep you updated on the progress

so it looks like I might need someone in the pe / despatch area to go have a look at the rifle for me. Anyone able to help out?

Edited by mon-goose

so it looks like I might need someone in the pe / despatch area to go have a look at the rifle for me. Anyone able to help out?

Man i stay about 50 km away and i would like to help i am also a hunter BUT , i will rather ask the buyer to take it to a gun shop and get some one to look at it. I would feel much happier if the rifle was checked with a bore scope.....270 fast caliber throat erosion??? I will strongly advice this route!!

I love my Howa 1500 Hunter .270 Win with Stainless Steel barrel and Walnut stock. Has a Bushnell Elite 6500 mounted.

Edited by Moridin

have now come across a how 1500 .270 for a really good price here in CT. Threaded and fluted barrel with a basic scope for under R5k. Thinking of it.

have now come across a how 1500 .270 for a really good price here in CT. Threaded and fluted barrel with a basic scope for under R5k. Thinking of it.

Have the barrel checked and then buy it!!! Remember the faster calibers have a nasty habit of damaging the tip of the barrel over time. 

it's currently at a reputable gun shop so hoping it's all good. They recon it's in good condition.

Some bad news on my side. Turns out the guys at Safari is battling to get Tikka 300 wsm's in stock. The back order has stayed unfulfilled for months now. 

Meaning back to the drawing board I go: Do I stick with the caliber I want, and change platforms, or do I go with a different caliber in the same platform?

Reason why I chose the Tikka: It had a nice feel to it, bolt was smooth, came with a bull barrel, picatinny rails make life awesome for scope attachment and the front end of the stock is flat enough to allow decent contact with the bi-pod. 

I see the Savage LR hunter is in the same price category, comes with a an adjustable trigger however no picatinny rails and normal barrel.