Best GPS for Sani2C

BigDL

Can't find whether this topic has been covered already, although I am sure it has.

I am doing Sani this year for the first time and I see that I need a GPS unit. Looking at whats available, I presume that the choice is pretty much between the Garmin 810 and the 520. Any thoughts on the best unit for this? 

Many thanks in advance 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to follow the rider in front. Just that the rules say it is mandatory to have a GPS. Couldn't really see myself buying one otherwise.

Sorry for the hijack. The new gamin edge 25 also seems to have GPS capabilities. I wonder if it would work alright for the sani/dusi ?

You do not need a GPS for the Sani2C,routes are very clearly marked and people around you the whole race,

They have never checked my bike for a GPS

The Garmin500 breadcrumb thingy and follow the other riders method resulted in our whole group taking the wrong turn right after the start on day 3 last year. Lost about 15 minutes in the confusion!

Would love to follow the rider in front. Just that the rules say it is mandatory to have a GPS. Couldn't really see myself buying one otherwise.

both team members rode without gps last year.

One sani newb and one with a sense of direction worse than a half-blind wombat in downtown sydney during a power outage.

Guess what?

We made it all the way to the sea without getting lost once...

Garmin 1000, it's got the biggest screen and its colour so it must be best...but my 810 did the job admirably last year. As others have said you really don't need one, there are still signs in important areas and bicycle tyres leave tracks!!

Can't find whether this topic has been covered already, although I am sure it has.

I am doing Sani this year for the first time and I see that I need a GPS unit. Looking at whats available, I presume that the choice is pretty much between the Garmin 810 and the 520. Any thoughts on the best unit for this? 

Many thanks in advance 

Check out this unit:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/wahoos-computerelemnt-first.html

Or you can get a Garmin GPSMAP64s, and use if for biking, hiking, geocaching etc. etc. Works great, is tough as nails and, well, it's a Garmin. :thumbup:

Archived