This again... Ht vs Full sus and subsequent choice

I've owned both and in my opinion the 29er  is way better than the 650b. 

I'm a bit concerned about the major surge in 650b. I'm not overly tall but I do fit into the 29er box. Also the more trail orientated bikes are all 650b and they seem a lot more fun? What exactly do you find better about the 29er in your case? I haven't had either!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently raced Babbas 2 weeks apart .Very similar conditions on both days .I specifically did this experiment for myself and my findings were that i was 6 minutes faster on my DS than my 2kg lighter HT and the course was 500m longer on DS day .Gearing on both were 2 x 10 and fitness level similar .Climbs felt easier with the HT but overall consistency and momentum better with the DS 

Do you find yourself more capable because of the skills learnt on a hardtail? I suppose all the skills will come with time but maybe at an easier and slower rate on a DS.

I'm a bit concerned about the major surge in 650b. I'm not overly tall but I do fit into the 29er box. Also the more trail orientated bikes are all 650b and they seem a lot more fun? What exactly do you find better about the 29er in your case? I haven't had either!

Firstly you and I are about the same height and all my bikes have xl frames. I took a 12yr break from cycling due to a back injury. When I started again I bought a 650b Trance because of the cushioning effect of the longer suspension- best move I could have made at the time. As fitness and confidence improved I realized that a more compact XC bike was needed for the type of riding I do - I bought myself a new 650b frame and built up a bike from scratch - The bike was a dog - 100mm travel, 120mm travel, umpteen stems and handlebars - I could not get comfortable on the bike , it never steered properly,and front end traction was terrible. My youngster who's a strong and talented rider had the exact same feedback as what I  was getting. I eventually sold the bike here on the Bikehub for R15000 - it was worth more than R35000. Bought myself a 29er and never looked back - I've had the new bike for about a month now and and every aspect of it is absolutely brilliant - it handles ,steers,climbs grips, absorbs bumps,treks through loose sand,shakes off ruts and rocks in a way that the 650b could not.Other than trimming the handlebar length by about 20mm - I've had to do nothing else to it in terms of its setup. Please remember that the riding I do is mainly Gauteng type XC ie.Cradle, Red Barn, Modderfontein , Northern Farm etc and that I am quite sure that there are many out there who might feel that the 650b is the better route to go based on their own experiences.  Please be aware that if  you do go for 29er Anthem that due to the longer rear stays the font of the bike is a little shorter and at your height  you should possibly consider a XL.

At 183cm a large Anthem is perfect. XL will be too big. I'm so happy with my choice to get the 2016 Anthem X, love the bike. I'm so much faster on the new Anthem than my old HT. Especially on technical climbs.

I own a both the Giant XTC and the anthem advanced x , and i hardly ever rude the xtc , only when the anthem is for shock maintenance or something like that, 

Id go for the anthem 29er,  every time , 

my 2c

In SA 29er will always be relevant. The marathon riding culture is so strong that you will always get parts.

Do you find yourself more capable because of the skills learnt on a hardtail? I suppose all the skills will come with time but maybe at an easier and slower rate on a DS.

A couple of sessions with a good skills coach will accelerate your learning so fast, that you don't need to do years on a hardtail to get there.

I suggest you go for the Anthem in wheels I've of your choice. I'd go for the 27.5 Anthem, but that is because it suits my riding style better. If you like the 29er, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

In SA 29er will always be relevant. The marathon riding culture is so strong that you will always get parts.

A couple of sessions with a good skills coach will accelerate your learning so fast, that you don't need to do years on a hardtail to get there.

I suggest you go for the Anthem in wheels I've of your choice. I'd go for the 27.5 Anthem, but that is because it suits my riding style better. If you like the 29er, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Either way it will an upgrade and a good one at that. I think I will try both wheel sizes and see from there :D

Either way it will an upgrade and a good one at that. I think I will try both wheel sizes and see from there :D

Good idea. Enjoy the shopping. New bike day is always a lekker day.

I went from an XTC to an Anthem in january, even thought my anthem is a bit heavier i have other places to drop some weight to compromise. and i love my anthem.

My first 2 DS bikes were anthems and i was happy with them ..Lots of happy anthem owners out there .I don,t think riding a hardtail improves your skills more than a DS bike .You tend to stand and climb more often which i like ,but i can now lock out my DS front and back and have the same stiff frame for climbing 

So after many hours of soul searching and Googling, I have decided the Anthem SX is the bike for me. Basically a 650b XC bike with added fun :clap:  The dropper post and extra 20mm up front will cover all my needs. The colour has also turned this from merely a head decision to a dream bike. In the future I can upgrade the wheel and it should give me years of fun! I already have a saddle so that won't be an issue as the standard one is apparently very squishy.

Thank you for all the valuable input! Opinions and experience trump marketing but I think I will be very happy on this gorgeous machine. 

So after many hours of soul searching and Googling, I have decided the Anthem SX is the bike for me. Basically a 650b XC bike with added fun :clap: The dropper post and extra 20mm up front will cover all my needs. The colour has also turned this from merely a head decision to a dream bike. In the future I can upgrade the wheel and it should give me years of fun! I already have a saddle so that won't be an issue as the standard one is apparently very squishy.

Thank you for all the valuable input! Opinions and experience trump marketing but I think I will be very happy on this gorgeous machine.

This is an awesome bike! Enjoy it.

Come post pictures here when you receive it.

Archived