Meerendal = 1

Bloemendal = 2/3

Bloemendaler = 3

Hoogekraal = 4 if you include cobra, otherwise 2

Contermanskloof blue = 2

Contermanskloof black = 6 to 7

Contermanskloof main line (from mast) = 8

But main line is mostly beyond me and I do the b lines all the way down

Well that puts this dirtroadie's ability at about 3.5 (I just can't do that second tight switchback on the Bloemendaler) - never thought I was that bad.

Completely embarrassed myself at the top of the Conties black route 2 weeks ago - at least I could walk parts of it....  :ph34r:

Here's a thought: How about people with experience with the various trails around Tygerberg rate them? I.e. Give them a mark out of 10, like 1 = flat, wide & smooth and 10 = insane - pick up and walk.

That would make for some interesting reading.

OK, my (un)official rating system:

1) Roadies - Meerendal lower around the dam (and back to carpark, sorry but no space for group hugs on single-tracks)

2) MTB newbies - Meerendal short excl Dorsberg and Burry Stander section; Bloemendal

3) MTB (ons raak nou mak) - Meerendal Full; Hoogekraal short; Contermans; Hillcrest; Bloemendal; Bloemendaler; Majic Forest

4) MTB (ons raak nou mal) - Contermans Black from mast, including ALL jumps

(I'm not pass level one yet)

Edited by Brandon78

Well that puts this dirtroadie's ability at about 3.5 (I just can't do that second tight switchback on the Bloemendaler) - never thought I was that bad.

Completely embarrassed myself at the top of the Conties black route 2 weeks ago - at least I could walk parts of it....  :ph34r:

That second Bloemendaaler switchback was my personal nemesis for a long time, I only recently nailed it! I would also do the WidowMaker chicken run always but nailed that one as well. It's a great feeling when you get past these obstacles that have eluded you for so long..

Edited by WKNDWRRR

Meerendal = 1

Bloemendal = 2/3

Bloemendaler = 3

Hoogekraal = 4 if you include cobra, otherwise 2

Contermanskloof blue = 2

Contermanskloof black = 6 to 7

Contermanskloof main line (from mast) = 8

But main line is mostly beyond me and I do the b lines all the way down

When the Bloemendal er is fresh and smooth 3, when it's eroded, loose and treacherous, 8. (but my 8 appears to be Myles' 3 :)

That second Bloemendaaler switchback was my personal nemesis for a long time, I only recently nailed it! I would also do the WidowMaker chicken run always but nailed that one as well. It's a great felling when you get past these obstacles that have eluded you for so long..

I haven't yet made it, but I have it on good authority from a downhill maniac that it hasn't been built nicely. (Although he might have been being nice, cos I was paying him for a lesson so that I'm not last on every downhill)

Where does the night ride factor into this, difficulty wise? I am not overly familiar with these trails.

Night Ride happens on the south side of Bloemendal and D'Aria, starting near the Bon Amis Restaurant. That trail is much easier than the Bloemendaaler/Bloemslang side. The M13 divides the 2 sides

• 4 years later...

OK, my (un)official rating system:

1) Roadies - Meerendal lower around the dam (and back to carpark, sorry but no space for group hugs on single-tracks)

2) MTB newbies - Meerendal short excl Dorsberg and Burry Stander section; Bloemendal

3) MTB (ons raak nou mak) - Meerendal Full; Hoogekraal short; Contermans; Hillcrest; Bloemendal; Bloemendaler; Majic Forest

4) MTB (ons raak nou mal) - Contermans Black from mast, including ALL jumps

(I'm not pass level one yet)

Reviving a 4yr old thread, cos I recently moved to CPT from JHB and I came across this thread while I was looking for places to ride and can absolutely relate to what was discussed in this thread many moons ago ;) . 

I've ridden Bloemendal, Meerendal Blue and yesterday I did Hillcrest. Here's my observation - in case any noobs like me are interested:

1. Blomendal - Found it very nice and similar to Northern Farms in JHB so it was was the easiest of all three (except the XCO Course - that was hair-raising). 

2. Meerendal Blue - this was also flowy until I got the tricky switchbacks up Stairways to Heaven which I managed without getting off the bike but I can do with a bit more practice there. 

3. Hillcrest - Now that's another level, the switchbacks were tighter and looser than Meerendal and my fear of heights didn't help much as it's quite high up and descending (at a slow pace) still kept my heart rate up. I've never had to get off my bike to push it up a hill in a while, but I had to at Hillcrest as the going got a bit tough due to loose rocks and a steeper than normal gradient going up towards the mast. 

The other things I noticed is that trails rated green in CPT is like a Blue in JHB, sheesh - I'm back to beginner level, baby steps.  :lol: