Wheel building

Where did you get mk hoops from?

Just built up an awesome wheel set.

New Stans Arch Mk3 on hope hubs with Pillar 14/15 spokes and brass nipples.

Came together like a dream :)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to build a wheelset with 20/24 holes Fr/Rr, should I go with straight pull hubs(straight pull spokes) or normal hubs with the flange(J bend Spokes).

Its a set for the road bike and I weigh about 70kgs. I would like to get the hubs but I need to choose between the 2 lacing patterns. I want a strong, racing wheelset

Price on the hubs are about the same whether normal flanged hub or straight pull specific

Thank you

Steer clear of straight pull.  Decent ones are just so difficult to come by.  Agents who stock locally only keep lengths for their own wheel designs and patterns. Also straight pull hubs force you into the designed pattern on the hub flange. 

I went for 24/28 on mine as that allowed me to get three crosses on the rear.  In most cases you can only get the number of crosses = to the number of holes divided by 9.  Also the more spokes that you have in the load affected zone of the rim the stronger the wheel, hence the 24 on the front even though I can only get two crosses  and I only weigh 69kg.  For ease I also went for round Revolution spokes as with bladed ones unless you regularly straighten the spokes you don't get any advantage.  The result is good strong wheels that I can let customers test and still fly on when I race.

Edited by David Marshall

Hi David

Which hub would you recommend for a road wheelset? Ive ordered a set of 45mm U shaped rims from light-bicycle. I will be using this as a racing wheel

Thanks

Mopkop

I want to build a wheelset with 20/24 holes Fr/Rr, should I go with straight pull hubs(straight pull spokes) or normal hubs with the flange(J bend Spokes).

Its a set for the road bike and I weigh about 70kgs. I would like to get the hubs but I need to choose between the 2 lacing patterns. I want a strong, racing wheelset

Price on the hubs are about the same whether normal flanged hub or straight pull specific

Thank you

J-bend. There's no advantage to having straight-pull spokes. The spokes are also cheaper and more readily available. In my opinion.

Steer clear of straight pull.  Decent ones are just so difficult to come by.  - Um yes and no, Pillar has been taken over by Cutting Edge marketing and now when I order straight pull spokes they 99% of the time have stock of the lengths I need and they are prepared to custom cut if need be...They have certainly upped their game and stock levels of everything.

Agents who stock locally only keep lengths for their own wheel designs and patterns. - And I feel they have every right to do so, why look after a Reynolds wheel when you import Zipp? (names purely as example) having said that I have ordered Zipp (Sapim) spokes for certain builds where I know that the Zipp shares the same spoke length...

Also straight pull hubs force you into the designed pattern on the hub flange. - Done to achieve the best out of the particular hub AND rim combination, most factory built wheels will be designed around a certain hub and rim combo so the hub and rim can take less spokes in a certain pattern and look good for the consumer...perhaps not the most ideal I know but that is what sells...

Not critisizing you at all, just pointing out some facts for people who may not know all the ins and outs :thumbup:

Hi David

Which hub would you recommend for a road wheelset? Ive ordered a set of 45mm U shaped rims from light-bicycle. I will be using this as a racing wheel

Thanks

Mopkop

I used Novatec 482SB rear and 291 front.  Local prices are not bad and they keep 20/24 stock.

Not critisizing you at all, just pointing out some facts for people who may not know all the ins and outs :thumbup:

I didn't mean to knock any agents - they obviously can't stock everything.  I use Cutting edge and their service is excellent.  Their DB straight pull range is from 290 to 306 mm. That rules out most deep section rims.

Edited by David Marshall

I used Novatec 482SB rear and 291 front.  Local prices are not bad and they keep 20/24 stock.

I didn't mean to knock any agents - they obviously can't stock everything.  I use Cutting edge and their service is excellent.  Their DB straight pull range is from 290 to 306 mm. That rules out most deep section rims.

Would you go with a Hope MONO RS hubs as a budget hub? My more expensive option is the DT240s hubs. The DT is aout double the price though but I'll only be buying once

Want to buy once and not again

That is what you are looking at.  Light Bicycle 45mm U shaped on Novatec.  Ridden by hubber TheRob in VA bunch.

attachicon.gifARI-1.jpg

Which hubs are these?

Would you go with a Hope MONO RS hubs as a budget hub? My more expensive option is the DT240s hubs. The DT is aout double the price though but I'll only be buying once

Want to buy once and not again

You say Hope and budget in the same sentence?

The Hopes are excellent value for money and not super expensive. My recommendation all the way.

so i was forced to rebuild my back wheel. I have managed to get it straight but it has a bump going up and down. I compared my rim to a newer straight rim(unfortunately not same amount of spokes) before the build and its not round anymore. could someome please give me some advice what to do.

The only tool i have is a spoke spanner and no local bike shops within a day or two drive from me.

would it be possible to push it straight from the inside useing a car jack?

Either you've built it out of round or the rim's bent. If it's out of round, you can fix it by tensioning it properly. If it's bent, time for a new rim.

I'm going to suggest you stay far away from it with car jacks. That just sounds like it'll end in tears. (Although it may be technically possible if correctly supported.)

I know there was no malice intended, Like I say some people don't know or understand the goings on within an industry and can draw conclusions off of almost nothing... :thumbup:

Either you've built it out of round or the rim's bent. If it's out of round, you can fix it by tensioning it properly. If it's bent, time for a new rim.

I'm going to suggest you stay far away from it with car jacks. That just sounds like it'll end in tears. (Although it may be technically possible if correctly supported.)

Rim is bent. I checked it before i spoked it. Thought could pull it round if i spoke it properly but just doesnt work. Ik thanks will consider getting a new rim when im down south. Thanks