Tubeless - loss of pressure

gerhardsnorbaard

Make a ghetto Schrader valve from a BMX tube, I see on google some people have done it. I know I tried to make my own Presta tubeless valve from an old tube, didn't work. Rubber was too thin.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you even want to do that??

Only availability, really - the presta tubeless valve sets are readily available, haven't seen many of the schrader types.

Can not speak for the Freestate, but did not have any issues to get them here. The hole will be to big, it may never seals proper.

You need to buy them only ones anyway.

Have the Schrader an 2 tubeless wheels sets, and like them much more, then the small little Presta.

Can not speak for the Freestate, but did not have any issues to get them here. The hole will be to big, it may never seals proper.

You need to buy them only ones anyway.

Have the Schrader an 2 tubeless wheels sets, and like them much more, then the small little Presta.

Just been a bit short on time, so I have not really checked at all the local shops.

But I just saw that Buycycle has the Schrader types (thanks for nothing, Google! Though I could just suck at searching...), so problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

So this weekend I removed the tubeless conversion kit (Joe's, I believe) from my wheels (Rapide R29s), cleaned the rims and tyres, and put on Gorilla tape.

I managed to seat the tyre on the rear wheel yesterday, and this morning it was still inflated. Early days yet, but previously it wouldn't last a week so if it works any better than that then I would call it a success.

Just one thing though - before I put in the Stan's sealant, the soapy water I sprayed on the tyre/rim revealed that A LOT of air was leaking out the sidewalls - is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

That Joe's Tubeless Conversion Kit is a piece of shyte.  Bought it few years ago.  Tried it. Chucked it. Lesson learned.

Seriously, taping it is the best way.  And it's not hard.  I did my son's new Crest wheelset this morning.  Took me an hour, and only because I am anal at getting the tape need in the corner so that the sidewall is clean for the tyre's bead so seat into snugly.  I used the Ryder tape.

So this weekend I removed the tubeless conversion kit (Joe's, I beŕlieve) from my wheels (Rapide R29s), cleaned the rims and tyres, and put on Gorilla tape.

I managed to seat the tyre on the rear wheel yesterday, and this morning it was still inflated. Early days yet, but previously it wouldn't last a week so if it works any better than that then I would call it a success.

Just one thing though - before I put in the Stan's sealant, the soapy water I sprayed on the tyre/rim revealed that A LOT of air was leaking out the sidewalls - is this normal?

before you put the Stans in, pop the bead on, deflate, put Stans into tyre. Reinflate. Spin. Leave. Spin. Ride. Done

Just check that the bead and side of the rim is clean of debris.  Then pop the wheel on the rim with a compressor until you hear no more banging noises as the bead seats onto the rim (just don't inflate it past it's safe pressure point).  Then deflate, inject the Stans, and inflate again. Spin and ride.  Job done.  You could double check by dumping the wheel in a swimming pool.

before you put the Stans in? Pop the bead on, deflate, put Stansted into tyre. Reinflate. Spin. Leave. Spin. Ride. Done

Yes, before putting in the Stans. I just found it odd that so much air was leaking through the sidewall, and I was wondering whether it is perhaps different with a different brand of tyre. Currently I've got continental ones on, Pioneer edition or something.

The back wheel has been keeping it's pressure very well since putting in the sealant and shaking and spinning it until I thought my arms would fall off.

Front wheel gave me more trouble, first to get the bloody thing seated (no compressor, so lots of soapy water and a standing pump and swearing), and then it was losing pressure so shook and spun until I could not anymore.

They've been keeping their pressure since riding to work on Tuesday, so it looks good now.

Yes, before putting in the Stans. I just found it odd that so much air was leaking through the sidewall, and I was wondering whether it is perhaps different with a different brand of tyre. Currently I've got continental ones on, Pioneer edition or something.

The back wheel has been keeping it's pressure very well since putting in the sealant and shaking and spinning it until I thought my arms would fall off.

Front wheel gave me more trouble, first to get the bloody thing seated (no compressor, so lots of soapy water and a standing pump and swearing), and then it was losing pressure so shook and spun until I could not anymore.

They've been keeping their pressure since riding to work on Tuesday, so it looks good now.

Get a compressor.  Even if it is just a small one.  They are one of the most useful tools to have in the shed.  Putting grips on? 2 minutes with a compressor.

And so many other odd jobs around the house.  I find quite useful also to blow leaves and dust and other crap out of the car's door areas and the parts of the engine bay.

My triceps are loving the fact that I invested in a compressor.

And as moridin states, very handy tool to have kicking around.

So just piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Today i decided to top up my sealant and its not going too well. I tool tyre off, put some sealant is but cannot get the tyre inflated enough. Sealent leaked put so decided to use a bomb to see if tyre would hold amd so far holding nicely...but there is no sealent.

Want to go to the garage, put sealent and then inflate. Never done this before so question is, so the garage air pumps accomodate presta valves?

So just piggybacking on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Today i decided to top up my sealant and its not going too well. I tool tyre off, put some sealant is but cannot get the tyre inflated enough. Sealent leaked put so decided to use a bomb to see if tyre would hold amd so far holding nicely...but there is no sealent.

Want to go to the garage, put sealent and then inflate. Never done this before so question is, so the garage air pumps accomodate presta valves?

I have seated all my tyres at the local BP but the compressors there do not support presta valves. All you need is the little valve converter though that you should be able to pick up at any lbs or even sportsmans warehouse. If you having trouble getting the tyre to seat take a sealable container with some water mixed with sunlight and a cloth and wipe this solution on the inside of the bead and the rim before inflating. This helps the tyre to seat easier and will also make bubbles anywhere there is air leaking so you can gently bump that area of the tyre on the ground to get the sealant to penetrate that area better

I have seated all my tyres at the local BP but the compressors there do not support presta valves. All you need is the little valve converter though that you should be able to pick up at any lbs or even sportsmans warehouse. If you having trouble getting the tyre to seat take a sealable container with some water mixed with sunlight and a cloth and wipe this solution on the inside of the bead and the rim before inflating. This helps the tyre to seat easier and will also make bubbles anywhere there is air leaking so you can gently bump that area of the tyre on the ground to get the sealant to penetrate that area better

Ok cool, thought they may not support presta valves. Will get an adapter. Another question, if i remove the valve core, will i be able to seat with a floor pump as it gets in more air?

You should be able to seat with a floor pump even with the valve in. You just gotta pump hard and fast. The soapy water method should help a lot when using the floor pump.

I have never been able to seat with a hand pump though, no matter how hard I try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived