EtienneXplore

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

huh?

How do i do this?

I am a South African citizen, living and working in Zambia. I am buying it privately, not through a business or anything. How do I get the VAT back?

It's part of the Export Incentive Scheme. A South African permanently resident in an export county is entitled to get the VAT back on goods purchased in SA and taken back to their country of residence.

You don't have to be a business. I'm typing on my phone and the finer details are too lengthy to type but check out the website www.taxrefunds.Co.za. Every thing is detailed there.

Thanks, 

That makes sense, I will just make sure the box looks a bit "used", because if these clowns at the airport sees a muzungu with a nice new shiny box, you will get pulled aside and then you have to try and explain to them that this is your own used bike as they will want to charge you VAT and Duties.

Ride the bike before you pack it and leave the mud / dirt on it.  Also throw in some stinky cycling clothing & socks in for authentic used aroma...

edit - removed [incase I look like a plank in light of Eugene's post]

Edited by KarlvN

It's part of the Export Incentive Scheme. A South African permanently resident in an export county is entitled to get the VAT back on goods purchased in SA and taken back to their country of residence.

You don't have to be a business. I'm typing on my phone and the finer details are too lengthy to type but check out the website www.taxrefunds.Co.za. Every thing is detailed there.

Well well well, slaan my dood met 'n Huisgenoot!

Awesome dude, thanks for the link. My budget just increased to about R22,000 !!

Hi Etienne, I have brought over 3 bikes from SA to Malawi, no issues. I would however get the box plastic wrapped at the airport. Will help protect bike and less likely customs in Zambia will want to check box and ask questions.

Are you interested in doing the 1ZambiaMTB stage race? ( http://www.1zambiamtb.com ) Im looking for a partner

you mean there are no bikeshops in Lusaka?!

There are, but they are not very good at all, and the prices are just out of this world expensive. Zambia in general is an extremely expensive country compared to South Africa.

Mountain biking is in its infancy in Zambia, and if you look at how this industry just exploded in SA, I am sure Zambia is heading the same way. There are a lot of expats here with lots of money to spend. So if someone has the money (ie: balls) to take the risk and invest in this sport here, they will become extremely rich! But it will be a very risky undertaking!

Many people are flying to SA just to purchase bikes as they are so expensive here.

Right, I have sent Hot Spot Cycles an email detailing what I want and my budget and when I will be there. Hopefully they respond and I can have a dedicated person helping me to get everything I need. I would prefer getting everything from one shop.

Right, I have sent Hot Spot Cycles an email detailing what I want and my budget and when I will be there. Hopefully they respond and I can have a dedicated person helping me to get everything I need. I would prefer getting everything from one shop.

One last piece of advice, fit is more important that almost anything else.

Except for the frame, almost everything on a bike is a wear item and will need to be replaced at some stage and can thus be upgraded.

But a bike that does not fit is a misery for ever......

Good luck and happy shopping.

One last piece of advice, fit is more important that almost anything else.

Except for the frame, almost everything on a bike is a wear item and will need to be replaced at some stage and can thus be upgraded.

But a bike that does not fit is a misery for ever......

Good luck and happy shopping.

Cool, thanks!

I also indicated to them in my email that I would be needing assistance in the whole fitting and setting up of a bike for me to ensure I get the correct fitting and set-up.

Thanks, 

That makes sense, I will just make sure the box looks a bit "used", because if these clowns at the airport sees a muzungu with a nice new shiny box, you will get pulled aside and then you have to try and explain to them that this is your own used bike as they will want to charge you VAT and Duties.

As far as I am aware bicycles come under sporting goods which are import duty free for Zambia so customs shouldn't give you any trouble. I fly back to zambia every holiday with my bicycle and I just use a new box from Bruce Reyneke Cycles and have never had an issue. I took my Dad's brand new Giant Anthem back to Zambia last year as well and they didn't even look twice.

As far as I am aware bicycles come under sporting goods which are import duty free for Zambia so customs shouldn't give you any trouble. I fly back to zambia every holiday with my bicycle and I just use a new box from Bruce Reyneke Cycles and have never had an issue. I took my Dad's brand new Giant Anthem back to Zambia last year as well and they didn't even look twice.

Sweet, thanks!

I don't think it will be an issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so no one from Hot Spot Cycles bothered to get back to me, I guess they really do not need another R20,000 in sales....

I e-mailed Road Cycles in Silverton with the exact same request, they responded the next day confirming my visit with them on Saturday morning, also they asked for my measurements before hand so that when I get there we can start looking at frames immediately and get the deal done. They also confirmed that I can get everything I need from them, and that they will do the tubeless conversion and a full bike set up for me.

Guess where I will be referring everyone to!

Will report back next week when all is said and done.....

Ok, So I got myself a Silverback Sola 3. I only got back to Lusaka late last night, so the bike is still in a big box. Will start putting it together tonight, will post pics once done!

whoop whoop. enjoy!