Open letter by Vents regarding disc brakes **Graphic photos**

gummibear

Lets just ban brakes completely because the levers are dangerous too!

Was wondering when the danger of Hope brakes would come up...

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have an opinion on the pro-peleton but this morning a car jumped a stop in front of me. I was on the hoods but the Hope disks on my CX saved me from a T-bone.

I suspect the Campag brakes on my road bike may have done the same (I hope I never have to test this)  but I was very impressed by the power and modulation of the hydraulics in an emergency stop.

Was wondering when the danger of Hope brakes would come up...

It all seems Hopeless.

It all seems Hopeless.

Thumbs up for all the hubbers trying to lever some humour from this unfortunate chap!

Thumbs up for all the hubbers trying to lever some humour from this unfortunate chap!

Yip. don't just palm it off, as you certainly have to hand it to them.

One thing that gets to me.

"I didnt actually fall down. It was only my leg touching the back of his bike."

Now could someone please explain to me. Pictures or illustrations welcome. How on this planet do you get your left leg to touch the left hand side of another bikes rear wheel so close to the wheel axle. And dont fall. Unless he was totally uncleated legs flying all over the show.

Am I the only one wondering if the response from Ventoso would have been different if Canyon had a Team Edition disc brake road bike?

I honestly don't think so. Many riders are openly critical of this development and I'm yet to see one endorsing it. 

I honestly don't think so. Many riders are openly critical of this development and I'm yet to see one endorsing it.

post-5386-1460714067,2635.jpg

post-5386-1460714076,0655.jpg

I don't have an opinion on the pro-peleton but this morning a car jumped a stop in front of me. I was on the hoods but the Hope disks on my CX saved me from a T-bone.

I suspect the Campag brakes on my road bike may have done the same (I hope I never have to test this)  but I was very impressed by the power and modulation of the hydraulics in an emergency stop.

Well - Dura Ace worked (just) well enough - and given I was in front of you..... but I DID wish for disks....

Next road bike is DEFINATELY going to have disks.

So Dan from Nam says the industry wants it, hardly an endorsement or am I missing something? 

Well - Dura Ace worked (just) well enough - and given I was in front of you..... but I DID wish for disks....

Next road bike is DEFINATELY going to have disks.

Personally I am moving in the opposite direction to a bicycle with no brakes! Reason? I am not particularly fast on a bike and brakes only make me go slower ;)

You got to hand it to this hapless chap, he certainly put new meaning to the phrase 'grabbing a handful of brakes'

Careful..... you and hands are entirely another story.... :)

to whit...

post-29797-0-72029400-1460715025_thumb.jpg

Personally I am moving in the opposite direction to a bicycle with no brakes! Reason? I am not particularly fast on a bike and brakes only make me go slower ;)

At my own cost - I have discovered that knobblies do not slow you down on the road.... that spare tire of yours seems to have had the correct effect....

So Dan from Nam says the industry wants it, hardly an endorsement or am I missing something?

He is also questioning whether something else perhaps caused the cut and he is saying that its an inevitable reality. He also calls for proper research into how to make them safer, if they are indeed as dangerous as some claim.

Archived