Knox and De Groot dominate SA MTB Marathon Champs

News bot

Max Knox and Robyn de Groot emerged the victors at the third round of the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series this year, which played host to the 2016 South African Mountain Bike Marathon Championships in Clarens, today. De Groot made it her fourth consecutive National Title while it was Knox’s second National Title and third win at this venue.

Click here to view the article

Haters will always be haters. Max tells me to stay off the hub because it kills me that people are always being so negative and have something to say. Yes max has been off the scene because he is a commited father to his one month old daughter and been at home supporting his wife. Priorities in the right place. He worked hard to earn the sa champ title. Im a proud wife anyway :)

Haters will always be haters. Max tells me to stay off the hub because it kills me that people are always being so negative and have something to say. Yes max has been off the scene because he is a commited father to his one month old daughter and been at home supporting his wife. Priorities in the right place. He worked hard to earn the sa champ title. Im a proud wife anyway :)

Good father. Enjoy the little one, and best of wishes for a healthy future!

I'am happy for Max!  awesome.  Alot of people hates him, but I'am not sure why...  I know he has been riding with 3 partners in the past that got busted, but I still believe he race clean and he needs more respect from us.

He also had a great ride in Sabie early in the year where he got a podium spot. Looked to be in good form even if he was keeping a low profile.

That's a strong men's field. We have to find a way to develop these guys to be internationally competitive. There's so much talent there.

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved.

If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved. If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Not sure I understand your question, Marathon is the Elite Ladies categorie distance, and it was on par

Edited by Wil6

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved. If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Ladies distance have always been a 70-75km Marathon, the Gents 105-115km Ultra Marathon

The international standard for elite women's marathon races is in the 70-80km region, and elite men 100-20km. 75km with the amount of climbing on the Clarens route most certainly does feel like a marathon thanks.

No one said it wasn't on par.... a pretty plain question; why would there be a different distance for ladies vs men? (and yes, I know its the rules) but that doesnt tell me why there is a different distance.

No worries for these self same riders to klap the exact same routes and distances as the guys on Epic etc. seems a sexist, outdated; women are weaker than men relic too me; thats all.