Fixing a tear in new tyre

Kingcantsing

I've tried patching but if the hole is big enough you can see the patch is under stress an eventually it fails. I've had better success with dental floss.

post-3245-0-76955500-1461067949_thumb.jpg

Apparently you can get mushroom plugs that you place from the inside out, which look good, especially for a decent sized cut. I personally have not tried them but they make sense.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/1345112d1425130238-diy-guide-how-temporarily-repair-tubeless-tyre-puncture-plug5.jpg http://www.select.bridgestone.co.in/images/tyreknowledge/tubeless/plugmethod-img.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kingcantsing, I have the exact tyre and same problem and was in the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, tyre wasn't even a month old and went over some glass. Plugged it and carried on with the ride, when I got hom I cut off the excess plug and haven't had a problem since.

The cut was big enough that the sealant wouldn't help. Hope this helps, good luck!

Kingcantsing, I have the exact tyre and same problem and was in the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, tyre wasn't even a month old and went over some glass. Plugged it and carried on with the ride, when I got hom I cut off the excess plug and haven't had a problem since.

The cut was big enough that the sealant wouldn't help. Hope this helps, good luck!

Very odd... I also managed to gash a new set of these exact same tyres a couple months back.  Bad batch perhaps?

I emailed them directly saying that I was disappointed that I already had a tear.

Anyway, I patched it and re-slimed the tyre and it seems to be working so far

Glad you got it fixed,I also run Vittoria tyres,Barzo/Saguaro combo.On my second set now and have also had to patch all my tyres atleast once.

In my personal opinion it seems like the compound of the rubber is quite strong.

In my neck of the woods we have alot of slate rock and you get cuts in youre tyres quite easily.But the Vittorias handle this very well,however it seems as though the rubber is slighly thinner than other brands and therefore it punctures more easily and is unable to seal itself.

I often hear my tyres make a popping sound when the knobs slip off the edges of the slate rock,but have had no problems because of this.However a piece of wire or nail in the trail can cause a puncture in the tyre that the sealant does not seal.

In this instance I do as some of the other guys have mentioned,clean tyre on inside around hole,sound down to a slighly rough finish,add normal salution and a 40-50mm patch,and voila!The tyre can give you many more happy miles.

Just want to stress that this is my own opinion and I dont have any science to back it up.d590a8e384b92b478d5dee910e5a0229.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just a question, if I have plugged a tyre and it holds air and seems fine, is this then a permanent fix or should I also look at maybe stitching or patching?

Just a question, if I have plugged a tyre and it holds air and seems fine, is this then a permanent fix or should I also look at maybe stitching or patching?

Permanent fix.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Posted this in a previous thread, but will repeat here.

Take tire of the rim, clean inside properly, removing all traces of sealant / oily residue.

Take ordinary floss and a curved needle, use "kombers steek" to repair the cut/gash. Be carefull not to pull it too tight.

Take vulcanised patch bigger than the area to repair, and patch from inside.

Let it dry properly, remount tire to rim, fill with sealant, inflate, and go riding.

Repaired a Rocket Ron and Conti X King like that, no problems afterwards.

This works well. I use liberal amounts of super glue on the stitching and then to glue patch down. Super glue does not seem to get effected by sealants

Permanent fix.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I consider plugs a permanent fix in my tyres

Go buy a gator from midas. Get them in diff sizes. Clean tyre on the inside. Sand the area to roughen it up. Stick gator on. Leave it inder a table leg for the night. Or anything that can keep pressure on it. Re fit tyre. Should be good for a good couple of 1000 kms

Bear in mind a plug sitting inside of your tyre will cause the formation of the ice crystal in the sealant.

Every time the tyre revolves the sealant will strike the plug ends and thus will cause the sealant fibers to begin to congeal, and become ineffective much sooner.

I think it's for this reason the recommendation is always when replacing sealant to check the carcass of the tyre for thorns that are sticking through and to remove them prior to pouring in new sealant.

I prefer to patch. Stitch first if necessary.

I have stitched a tear with some dental floss and then glued a patch over it on the inside BUT on two tyres I have had the same issue, over time the damaged area swelled and bulged out and I had to scrap the tyres. 

Riding from Clanwilliam to Ceres on my KTM990 a few years back, I got a 70mm+ cut in the tread surface of my rear. What works very well is to clean the cut out as much as you can, get the tyre sitting in it's normal position, and then fill the cut with Q-Bond "super glue" and the Q-Bond black filler powder. It sets in a few minutes, and off you go. If it can hold a motorbike tyre, I'm sure bicycle tyres won't be a problem

When patching a tyre and referring to glue are we all talking about the right stuff for the job?

Normal glue will harden and crack over time and fail. One must use vulcanizing cement, the right cement will bond the patch and tyre together and will remain flexible. The right tools help.

On another note not all Tyres are repairable. The ultralight schwalbe TYRES have a compound that cement will not bond to. It is written deep in the literature on their site but I can't be bothered to look for it now. Just know that some can't be repaired.post-43795-0-49876000-1461216993_thumb.jpeg

Archived