Fixing a tear in new tyre

Kingcantsing

I've tried patching but if the hole is big enough you can see the patch is under stress an eventually it fails. I've had better success with dental floss.

attachicon.giftyre-slash.jpg

Apparently you can get mushroom plugs that you place from the inside out, which look good, especially for a decent sized cut. I personally have not tried them but they make sense.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/1345112d1425130238-diy-guide-how-temporarily-repair-tubeless-tyre-puncture-plug5.jpg http://www.select.bridgestone.co.in/images/tyreknowledge/tubeless/plugmethod-img.gif

I use the mushroom plug with the Rema Tip Top Special cement BL as per photo in RyanD post on 2 tyres with side wall cuts and used up the tyres with out any problems. Stans sealant do noting to the Tip Top vulcanizing cement.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When patching a tyre and referring to glue are we all talking about the right stuff for the job?

Normal glue will harden and crack over time and fail. One must use vulcanizing cement, the right cement will bond the patch and tyre together and will remain flexible. The right tools help.

On another note not all Tyres are repairable. The ultralight schwalbe TYRES have a compound that cement will not bond to. It is written deep in the literature on their site but I can't be bothered to look for it now. Just know that some can't be repaired. image.jpeg

Are you in Australia?

Would you start a multi day stage race with a tyre that has a plug in it or just bite the bullet and fit a new tyre?

Would you start a multi day stage race with a tyre that has a plug in it or just bite the bullet and fit a new tyre?

I have a plug in a commuter tire, that's a stage race with 10 stages a week.

As always, whether you should or shouldn't depends.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've tried patching but if the hole is big enough you can see the patch is under stress an eventually it fails. I've had better success with dental floss.

attachicon.giftyre-slash.jpg

Apparently you can get mushroom plugs that you place from the inside out, which look good, especially for a decent sized cut. I personally have not tried them but they make sense.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/1345112d1425130238-diy-guide-how-temporarily-repair-tubeless-tyre-puncture-plug5.jpg http://www.select.bridgestone.co.in/images/tyreknowledge/tubeless/plugmethod-img.gif

Its working great. have a 1 cm sidecut on a ride - repair it during the ride and still doing 100%  after 500 km.

Clean properly, inside and out. Alcohol cloth if needs be on the inside. Let it dry. Stick a boot on from the inside, then superglue the rubber on the outsite and make sure the cut stays closed to allow the glue to try. Hence, maybe turn the tyre inside out after glueing it.

Are you in Australia?

No Chum. Northern KZN. Home of the dirt roadie and headwinds.

Edited by RyanD

Remove tyre and clean off all sealant residue. Superglue and gorilla tape. The gorilla tape is flexible enough and stronger than a rubber patch

Yes, plugs are nothing. I don't take chances with side walls, however, it appears from this discussion that most side walls can be repaired.

Yes, plugs are nothing. I don't take chances with side walls, however, it appears from this discussion that most side walls can be repaired.

I also have no issue with plugs, in fact I have more than 1 wheel with a few plugs at any given time.

Have also had very limited success plugging or otherwise sidewall cuts ... almost always terminal I'm afraid. many a tear shedded over a 'new' tyre destroyed  :cursing:

I also have no issue with plugs, in fact I have more than 1 wheel with a few plugs at any given time.

Have also had very limited success plugging or otherwise sidewall cuts ... almost always terminal I'm afraid. many a tear shedded over a 'new' tyre destroyed  :cursing:

Yip, don't even bother trying to fix sidewall problems....shed a tear and get the wallet out!!

• 1 month later...

I have a few of those devil thorns in my tyre from yesterday's ride. Most have broken off with the thorn stuck in the tyre amd one is still a full one stuck in the tyre, if that makes sense.

Tyres are holding air fine and cant seem to find any leaking, sealent is doing its job.

So, doni just leave em in or take em out and plug the holes? Should i break the whole off leaving the thorn in?

post-57045-0-37386800-1464508472_thumb.jpg

I have a few of those devil thorns in my tyre from yesterday's ride. Most have broken off with the thorn stuck in the tyre amd one is still a full one stuck in the tyre, if that makes sense.

Tyres are holding air fine and cant seem to find any leaking, sealent is doing its job.

So, doni just leave em in or take em out and plug the holes? Should i break the whole off leaving the thorn in?

Pull the thorns out at home, boogers will grow on them.

If you have a friend who races the road or better still track (taboo word) on tubulars .

Scrounge an old tyre from him or her.

Rip the tread of the casing and cut a piece 50 *50,or larger out of the carcass.

As this carcass has a far higher tread count,some are made of silks, can go 120.and take 10 bar pressure,plus flex.

Clean well ;use acetone

Glue in with ply bond or similar.

Should be good as new ,

Be careful if the cut is parallel to rim as this can encourage lack of

seating thus more likely to burp.

good luck with repair

Piece of old car tube (the red one) with super glue (make sure its a good quality such as locktite/bostik)