Opinion On Bike Racks

Hi ,

I'm currently looking at bike racks that can accomodate 4 bikes. I need to fit my Camp master trailer with a rack as well as getting a rack which can be fitted on my tow bar when I don't use my trailer, (as people pointed out that you can't use a hanging rack and tow a trailer without some effort ex. removing the wheels from the bikes)

Linden cycles seems to have some nice racks that can be fitted to the trailer and I was looking at the Holdfast SA2000 model that can be fitted to the tow bar base plate.

Any views on the Holdfast racks, or are there some other recommendations ?

Thanks

I've owned Buzzrack (3-bike, hatchback mounted) and Thule (3-bike, towbar mounted) and Thule is a much better product.

Buy Thule and you only buy once. In my experience other brands 4 bike racks will only really hold 3 without a huge effort to try get them to fit .

I had 3 different racks over a period of 18 months. After that I bought a Thule - will never need to buy another rack again.

Hi

I had 3 different racks over a period of 18 months. After that I bought a Thule - will never need to buy another rack again.

Which bike racks did you have before the Thule?

Buy Thule and you only buy once. In my experience other brands 4 bike racks will only really hold 3 without a huge effort to try get them to fit .

I have read in a couple of places that people has issues fitting more than 3 bikes on bike racks in general.

The Thule that you bought was that the Thule HangOn 9708 ?

Thanks

I saw a Küat bike rack the other day and that looked very nice, well built and it is apparently expandable. Not sure where they are available in SA or how much, but I suspect Rush Sports import them. At least the guy driving the car said he imported it and he had a Rush sports shirt on, might be jumping to conclusions though

I had this bracket made to fit on a roof rack mounted on an Alustar trailer.

I had to make spacer blocks to stop the rack bouncing as the trailer springs are also quite soft. Initially used a tie down.

The rack does sit quite high behind the bakkie but still not nearly as high as having a roof mounted bike rack

Had this Thule rack for 5 years and no issues.

post-64001-0-82394700-1461151371_thumb.jpg

I have had a Thule hang on (3 bikes, not sure of the model) for 6 years. Still going strong but is a bit wobbly now, may just need a few screws tightened. You can buy spare parts such as straps for them.

Even with my Thule, it can fit 3 bikes but that is a push. Its generally whatever they say the bike rack can do minus 1. Also the hang on ones can be stressful on long trips. 

Thanks for

I have had a Thule hang on (3 bikes, not sure of the model) for 6 years. Still going strong but is a bit wobbly now, may just need a few screws tightened. You can buy spare parts such as straps for them.

Even with my Thule, it can fit 3 bikes but that is a push. Its generally whatever they say the bike rack can do minus 1. Also the hang on ones can be stressful on long trips. 

That might explain why most places do not always stock a 4 bike carrier, At this point we will have two adult bikes and two kids bikes 20 and 24 inch, so hopefully this might not be as a tight squeeze ?

Would you then say maybe something like the Thule VeloCompact 927 be better than a hanging rack ?

Mostly for the long trips I'll be using a trailer so will then get something fitted onto the trailer like Larissa has

Thanks for

That might explain why most places do not always stock a 4 bike carrier, At this point we will have two adult bikes and two kids bikes 20 and 24 inch, so hopefully this might not be as a tight squeeze ?

Would you then say maybe something like the Thule VeloCompact 927 be better than a hanging rack ?

Mostly for the long trips I'll be using a trailer so will then get something fitted onto the trailer like Larissa has

Yes those platform carriers are a lot more stable but they take up a lot of space in garage which is their only real con.

The hang on ones can flex like mad when there is a decent weight on them but I haven't had any issues at all but it can be nerve-wrecking at times like on long journeys which you say wont be a problem. I'd imagine the hang on one will be fine with two adult and two kids bikes. Perhaps you will just need to take the seats and seat-posts out.

Put a couple of hooks on the rafter in the garage so you can store the rack on them.

Platform racks are the most stable solution

Hi

Which bike racks did you have before the Thule?

A Holdfast 4 bike carrier. Not sure of the model but attached to a plate next to the towbar. The hanging type. Rubbish because the bikes hang and as a result rubs againts each other. Pool Noodles just don't prevent damage to the bikes. And if load a ladies bike, you have to use a frame converter or something like that.

The other was a "strap-on"! And not the good kind... Also scratches the bikes as well as the paintwork.

I also had one that fits to the tow-ball, but you still "hang" the bikes onto the carrier, so there's movement of the bikes. I can't remember the brand, but it wasn't expensive.

I now have a Thule Velo Compact. Expensive but no damage to the bikes or car. I use it at least twice every weekend, so I figured it was worth spending the extra cash and not be frustrated with rubbish racks and pool noodles anymore. 

I bought a Thule - will never need to buy another rack again.

What Pieter said.

Buy Thule, buy once.

Irrespective as to how you eventually puzzle it together with your trailer etc, it'll still be the better option.

I'm on my second one in 10 years, 100% hassle free. (second just replaced a smaller first, no other reason)

Someone was advertising in the classifieds Thule bike racks sold by Volvo Bryanston. Best deal around that I could find by a long way

Archived