Broken SRAM XX1 cassette

Rudi Pollard

Yesterday morning I got out of bed eager to go for a lekker ride at 5am. I had my coffee and off i went.

About 5km from my house I thought my freehub has given in on me. The cassette was just spinning and nothing was engaging and thus I had no drive.

I stopped to investigate, and I realised that my 42t cog has come loose from the rest of the cassette which I found very strange as the XX1 cassette is a one piece assembly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

post-27075-0-86994200-1461822520_thumb.jpg

post-27075-0-16441300-1461822529_thumb.jpg

The 42 is separate from the cassette.

Once it is fully assembled it is a one piece unit and not supposed to come off. I confirmed this with SRAM USA already.

The 10 speed piece is milled from a single piece of  material, after which the aluminium 42t cog is pressed on. As you can see from the attached picture only the 42t actually engages with the XD driver body. Thus if it comes loose the other 10 gears just spins around the XD driver.

post-27075-0-40687800-1461824860_thumb.jpg

post-27075-0-41407100-1461824868_thumb.jpg

It has done around 4000km. Im only on my second chain on it.

Even with a lot of mileage I don't think this is supposed to happen...

All to save weight , stupid design to me and you need a new free hub

Where as shimano all the gears engage , and you can use your old freehub :whistling:

Good luck man , I know how blady expensive those things are :(

Yes they have created the XX1 cassette as light as possible but luckily this does not happen to every single cassette. I might just have been unlucky with this one.

I will take it back to the shop. Maybe they will be able to get a warranty replacement from SRAM...

It's done 4000km, buy a new one. 

How many chains have you used on it? 

And if you have how many km between chains? 

Crap design if it only engages on the free body through the 42 ring. What were they thinking?  :whistling:  :ph34r:

It's done 4000km, buy a new one.

How many chains have you used on it?

And if you have how many km between chains?

he said he's on his second chain, focus dude [emoji6]

he said he's on his second chain, focus dude [emoji6]

Sorry... 

2 chains in 4000km I suppose isn't so bad... 

It looks like the wear on the 42 is quite a bit more than the rest of the cassette. Perhaps a 2x system is in order  :ph34r:

*Before someone points out the 42 is a softer material than the rest of the cassette I know and I am just kidding... 

Yip second chain. The first one did 3400km's and I replaced it on 75% wear.

I have not had any issues with the new chain with regards to slipping or engaging gears, thus why I want to check if it can be warranteed. The cassette comes with a 2 year warranty.

If it was completely worn then yes chuck it in the bin and move on. But at the price of parts these days it is not that easy.

Luckily I had a spare in my garage. Popped on the GX cassette and went for a 90km ride, so it is already replaced.

The point here is not if the cassette is worn or should be replaced. I was checking if this has happened to other riders on XX1 as well and if it is normal for the 42t cog to come loose from the rest of the assembly.

Sorry... 

2 chains in 4000km I suppose isn't so bad... 

It looks like the wear on the 42 is quite a bit more than the rest of the cassette. Perhaps a 2x system is in order  :ph34r:

*Before someone points out the 42 is a softer material than the rest of the cassette I know and I am just kidding... 

I actually don't use the 42t a lot. The only place in Gauteng where I have had to engage the 42t is around klapperkop on the off road trails. Everything else in and around Pretoria it isn't necessary...

Yip second chain. The first one did 3400km's and I replaced it on 75% wear.

I have not had any issues with the new chain with regards to slipping or engaging gears, thus why I want to check if it can be warranteed. The cassette comes with a 2 year warranty.

If it was completely worn then yes chuck it in the bin and move on. But at the price of parts these days it is not that easy.

Luckily I had a spare in my garage. Popped on the GX cassette and went for a 90km ride, so it is already replaced.

The point here is not if the cassette is worn or should be replaced. I was checking if this has happened to other riders on XX1 as well and if it is normal for the 42t cog to come loose from the rest of the assembly.

Exactly what I'm doing now, getting better mileage from GX than XX1 with no hassles whatsoever...at the GX price, I don't give a toss about the extra minimal weight.

But no, never had the problem you've got with XX1...I just found they don't last long enough. Too much wear too quickly!!

Archived