Bike rack - rear or roof?

Loyiso

its simple. If you dont drive into a garage when you park at home then get on the roof. At the back is risky because it only take a very light bump from the car behind and you have a snapped frame. Happened to me. bikes are also less likely to scratch other bikes on a proride. its also way cheap. pick up a second hand proride on here for R1500. then you just need roofracks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Towbar and Thules Express  is my personal choice for my one bike.

Friend has big thule ride on and great when there are a few of us but his express is used the most , 

Rear....buy a thule second-hand, you can get a bargain from the hub (you'll have to go as they sell like pannekoek at a kerk bazaar)

My girlfriend hooks this one on th towbar behind the Polo. Quick and easy. She also ride a Giant Anthem small.

Ive used it a couple of times and it impressed me

post-44007-0-09981100-1461867437_thumb.png

Tow bar and Thule platform rack. Top notch.

A test was done on fuel economy regards bike transport. Clearly loading inside the car came out tops. Rear-second and the roof mount just blew fuel economy out of the window. Done by velonews if i remember correctly

According to the rules...... Bikes on the roof have to cost more than the car, towbar is your only option. Buy Thule

I drive a bakkie and have the Thule euro way 3 bike carrier - towbar mount. It is great, and has had significant use. But go back and read Godzilla's comments. If you travel on gravel roads the bike gets dust and mud.

Rear, platform type. Thule is not the only option. Can't remember mine's brandname, but it works well and was +-R2500 new.

Enjoy the new bike!

I cannot think of a single reason you'd ever want a roof rack.  

I think roof racks are exclusively reserved for the specialized / 3 series drivers.

Also I'm always stumped why some SUV owners (especially ones like a Discovery 4 or so which come with a detachable towbar as standard) have roof racks.  WTF?

Easy there tiger. 

I agree towbar mount is the best, my 3 series has an electric retractable one so its practical and disappears to keep the car looking good.

And yes I have working indicators and I use them.

Im in a process of buying a 2015 Giant Anthem X 29er small frame, but I have not made a final decision on the best option for my car when it comes to bike racks. I have a 2005 Merc C230 Coupe and getting a bike rack is proving to be mission impossible.

Initially I was looking at getting ProRide 598 roof rack but I was advised to get a rear rack that will fit into a tow bar. Im told this is the best option. I began shopping around and being a rookie that I am, I was shocked at the prices for bike accessories, money I would have loved to put into a bike and get a brand new one.

Option 1 - Thule quoted me R4999 for 961 wingbar, 754 foot pack and 1233 fitting kit. Then R2999 for ProRide 598. Total of R7998 for a brand new set. I have been looking on Bikehub, Gumtree and OLX for used racks, most of the items I have found are not compatible with my car.

Option 2 - I was quoted R4000 for a towbar (R9000 for a detachable towbar), a second hand Thule Euro 941 carrier ranges between R4000 - R6500 on gumtree and OLX.

It boils down to safety for my bike, ease of use, fuel consumption and aesthetics. Im based in Durban, so I wont be travelling long distances, except on few occasions when I visit my parents in Joburg. Im short, but can reach my roof comfortably. Both options will increase the fuel consumption (simple physics) but Im told, roof racks are more suitable for road bikes and not for MTB bikes due to weight, even though Anthems are not that heavy. To be honest, I hate tow bars (no valid reason) and it will be my last option (tight budget).

I need to decide ASAP as I might have my bike next week but it looks like I will have to wait before I can use it. Please help.

Regards

Loyiso

I have a 2008 335i and I regret going the roofrack route. The Thule Pro Ride thing rubs the matt finish on my carbon MTB and squeezes the frame alarmingly. It is noisy, even with the bike off. Bike wobbles a bit.

Too high for garages and sooner or later I'm going to forget the bike is up there.

Next time I will go with a towbar even if it costs more. At least then I can also tow a trailer when needed.

A towbar carrier can also be fitted to a mate's car if the need arises. For carrying a single bike the simple Thule hang-on racks that clamp on the towbar are effective, portable and easily removed when not needed.

Just remember not to let your rim/tyre hang in the path of the hot exhaust gases.......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived