Prize money for races

Job

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainy days....!

If I was a cyclist looking to join the hub and I saw this thread, I would pass. Hubbers are suppose to be nice help each other or at least be friendly and appear to be helpful, not criticize each other's grammar and spelling. For a first time hubber it might just look like we are a bunch of a-holes. Its not like the OP made a bunch of errors that made his post impossible to understand.

15 posts into the thread and no-one has commented on the OP's original post.

Ok, now you guys can go ahead and give me the wrong end of the stick too. But please leave my grammar and spelling alone.

Edit- sorry, replied to the wrong post, but you get my drift...

Listen boys

I was having a few beers,saw the post and decided to pull jobs wire. All tongue in cheek.now jump on your indoor trainers and burn off some of that anger

If I was a cyclist looking to join the hub and I saw this thread, I would pass. Hubbers are suppose to be nice help each other or at least be friendly and appear to be helpful, not criticize each other's grammar and spelling. For a first time hubber it might just look like we are a bunch of a-holes. Its not like the OP made a bunch of errors that made his post impossible to understand.

15 posts into the thread and no-one has commented on the OP's original post.

Ok, now you guys can go ahead and give me the wrong end of the stick too. But please leave my grammar and spelling alone.

Edit- sorry, replied to the wrong post, but you get my drift...

Safety in everyday life lies in the assumption that everyone is a$#holes. Until proven otherwise.

And why would the OP be bothered about prize money? The races he/she/it is looking at is fairly small. Prize money shouldn't determine which race to enter...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Safety in everyday life lies in the assumption that everyone is a$#holes. Until proven otherwise.

And why would the OP be bothered about prize money? The races he/she/it is looking at is fairly small. Prize money shouldn't determine which race to enter...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Certainly agree 100% with your first paragraph! 

Lol... this is becoming very interesting ☺. Let's forget about grammar and focus on answering the question. I am asking this question because I genuinely want to know. Last year at the start of momentum 94.7 I asked two journalists about what a winner will take home but none of them knew.Last month I also attended an Emperors Palace awards ceremony after the race but also nothing about winnings. Are local cyclists just cycling for fun? My 15 year old son is passionate about cycling and rugby, I need to channel him in the right direction if he has a potential to make it in both sports.

Well, I most certainly hope that there is some prize money at the Sondela race, as I it will be my comeback road race after 10 years.

But sadly it will probably end up in someone elses pocket...

My 15 year old son is passionate about cycling and rugby, I need to channel him in the right direction if he has a potential to make it in both sports.

Surely it is highly improbable that the body shape and size that would allow one to be successful at the top level of professional rugby i.e. > 85kg and a muscular BMI > 25 would also allow you to be a top class cyclist where almost no one is above 75 kg and guys at 1.84m weigh in at 64kg ?

If he likes both, should he not drop the one he is physically least suited to ?

The boy is still young, the body shape can still be worked on coz he is middle'ish. I am also aware of the technicalities around both sports except for the prize money that I am enquiring about ????

Surely it is highly improbable that the body shape and size that would allow one to be successful at the top level of professional rugby i.e. > 85kg and a muscular BMI > 25 would also allow you to be a top class cyclist where almost no one is above 75 kg and guys at 1.84m weigh in at 64kg ?

If he likes both, should he not drop the one he is physically least suited to ?

His body is more like that of Andre Greipel for now, he can still build it up or tone it down.

Which sport does the boy prefer? Being passionate about something is a far better motivator then money.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Which sport does the boy prefer? Being passionate about something is a far better motivator then money.

He is not sure, he is still trying to find himself. He is tough,paddle hard in hills and not afraid of pain, in rugby he tackles hard like Schalk Burger, not afraid of tackling bigger boys.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have worked with many a professional sportsperson.

Bottom line ......... Your son needs to wake up every day and be fired up to do what he does. I have never met a successful professional sports person who hates what they do. Passion wins above talent.

Your boy cannot expect to be competitive at his chosen sport for a prolonged period of time if he TRULY AND I MEAN TRULY is not passionate and dedicated to it.

If he likes both there are a few things you should be looking into right now:

How has he done on a provincial and national level so far in both of them?

Have him adequately tested by a Sport Scientist to show his body potentials and norms and standards compared to cycling (please ask for a cycling generic test and not a disciple specific test as track norms vary vastly when compared to XCO MTB for example) and rugby general norms and standards.

Then you will have an academically proven direction but this should still not over write PASSION AND LOVE FOR THE SPORT.

Just my 2c worth!

Archived