Cannot fit tyre on rim

mms206

Hi

Bought a 26" Bontrager XR2 team issue TLR tyre off the hub and trying to fit it onto my XT (WH-M778) rim but seems almost impossible to get the tyre onto the rim, granted I am trying myself. Do I just not have the correct tools to do this (just a tyre lever) or is it possible that the tyre does not actually fit the rim, which is hard to understand as they both 26" (559mm). Excuse if a dof question.

Thanks 

Heat the tyre up a bit by leaving it in the sun for an hour. This will make it more pliable.

Get yourself some crowbar tyre levers. You can apply significant force and these won't break, but just be careful not to ruin your rimtape/strips by getting too aggressive.

Make sure the bead is dropped into the centre channel all the way around when fitting that last piece.

Use some soapy water to make things more slippery.

If none of the above works, take it to your LBS and see if they can sort you out.

If they can't sort you out, you may have a tyre/rim combo that just doesn't work.

Edited by cairbre

Also make the last section of tyre you put on is the section at the valve. The valve takes up more space than you'd think and makes the tyre tighter to seat.

If he is in JHB... he may encounter a problem with this suggestion today.

And apparently tomorrow as well[emoji20]

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

If he is in JHB... he may encounter a problem with this suggestion today.

Hah yea, this rain is nuts. I guess you can substitute the sun with an oven at low heat.

Edited by cairbre