Raleigh Chopper

Not at all...it was Choppers or Bombers and the Western Flyers which were very popular.

Actually the Bomber was a 80's bike

I can't remember what Raleigh I had as my first bike here. I thought it was a Boxer, but apparently not. Was a standard double triangle type frame. Skinny 20" wheels. No gears. Any ideas? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember what Raleigh I had as my first bike here. I thought it was a Boxer, but apparently not. Was a standard double triangle type frame. Skinny 20" wheels. No gears. Any ideas? 

The Burner? More BMX-looking.

The Burner? More BMX-looking.

No, imagine like a skinny-wheeled dikwiel... :blush: Don't know how else to describe it...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This Chopper came rolling into the shop last week.

Had to buy it.

100% mint and Original.

Looks like it has been hanging in a garage for 40 years

A mate of mine (aged 50) has an immaculate Chopper that is identical to this hanging on his garage wall. It even has the "exhaust pipes" on the chain guard. I remember wondering if he had added the decal. About 8 years ago I picked up a Mk3 version (with the gear shifter on handle bars and up-rated brakes) for R800. I bought it for my older son, Joseph, who was 8 years old at the time. Needless to say, the inevitable wipe out occurred and, in his best interests (and that of the bike) it was packed away in a box and put in storage. My youngest son, Zac, is 7 now and when he is a bit bigger we'll haul it out again and reassemble it. My brother had a purple Mk1 in +/- 1978 and a couple of my other friends also had Choppers - great memories!

Edited by Ibex

No, imagine like a skinny-wheeled dikwiel... :blush: Don't know how else to describe it...

I think I had something similar - my Ma painted it with blue enamel, and it had white mudguards. But I pulled those off. We had a huge back garden in Pine Park that my boet had tried to landscape and then got bored with, so we used to race around there with the bike and go-kart, between the fruit trees (3 peaches, 1 apricot, 1 plum, 1 apple - ate fruit the entire summer for breakfast, lunch and supper). Those old Raleighs took some hectic punishment. Oh ja! Back-pedal brakes. Fantastic for dramatic skids of red Highveld dust.

• 3 years later...

I too have shiny patches on knees and elbows from skidding, wheelying and jumping one of those as a kid.

Mine was classic red/orange with yellow graphics.

I traded it on a new Dragster.. which put me right at the top of the cool pile.

Even more dangerous and evil handling than the Chopper.

Check that gear lever out. Proper damage.

post-53895-0-15166300-1588166820_thumb.jpg

Was this thing designed by Satan himself?

I too have shiny patches on knees and elbows from skidding, wheelying and jumping one of those as a kid.

Mine was classic red/orange with yellow graphics.

I traded it on a new Dragster.. which put me right at the top of the cool pile.

Even more dangerous and evil handling than the Chopper.

Check that gear lever out. Proper damage.