I am not sure about Xtrerra swims, but for Ironman events, wet suits are compulsory if water temps are below 16c. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. 

The padding in the trisuit is barely noticeable, even when wet. It won't be an issue. I would do the entire race in one set of clothing as it makes the race a lot easier, and faster. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend can swim in his tri short/suit  :)

Yes just swim in your tri-suit. The difference between a trisuit and cycling chamois (shammy) is that the trisuit does not absorb water.

Last year in Durban Ultra wetsuits were not allowed, and you just swim in the trisuit

Cool, thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback. 

Now for some more decisions... but saw some nice looking Castelli stuff being punted on the other (IM PE) thread by sheer coincidence in timing.

My watch app comes with something called vo2 max. Now I ain’t a scientist but without a full blooded lab test just how accurate are these apps?

Has anyone gone the full test route?

My watch app comes with something called vo2 max. Now I ain’t a scientist but without a full blooded lab test just how accurate are these apps?

This is a great question, I've been wondering the same

Signed up on Monday for Tinman Sprint (600/21/5) this Sunday at Suncoast, it'll be my first tri with a surf swim; apart from 'follow the rip', any other advice from the hardy annuals?

Quick google suggests that since the watch app is an algorithm-based estimator developed from a large number of sample individuals, the accuracy will depend on how close you are to 'average' whatever that means, as well as the accuracy of your inputted data. Stands to reason that the apps that also use powermeter data are more accurate than those that just use gps data & heartrate.

As an aside, VO2max is a measure of your body's capacity to consume oxygen, which is trainable to a (limited) degree and declines with age. How well your body converts that oxygen into forward motion is the real question, so your velocity at your VO2max would be a more useful measurement, and is definitely trainable. Not sure if the app can help with that.

Edited by amr63

Hey Shaper, I went to the SSW shop - what an awesome experience!

Very friendly and helpful lady, gave me lots of tips when she heard it's a new venture for me, helped with choices in kit, verified that the fit and sizing is actually correct. Same pricing as on the site, so great prices on what I suspect is simply last year's designs. Which is brilliant for me just starting off. 

Cool SeaBee

Did you get a race belt at the same time? will need one as much easier than pinning race number to your kit.

Signed up on Monday for Tinman Sprint (600/21/5) this Sunday at Suncoast, it'll be my first tri with a surf swim; apart from 'follow the rip', any other advice from the hardy annuals?

I am also doing the sprint on Sunday and it is also my first surf swim. The thought of running into the ocean and swim is pretty scary but kind of looking forward to it. Any advice would be welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am also doing the sprint on Sunday and it is also my first surf swim. The thought of running into the ocean and swim is pretty scary but kind of looking forward to it. Any advice would be welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't race into the water. You will spike your HR and potentially cause you to get out of breath at the start of the swim. I would recommend doing a practice swim beforehand. 

Cool SeaBee

Did you get a race belt at the same time? will need one as much easier than pinning race number to your kit.

Yip, got one. And very handy tips from how to lay out your things to dressing sequence in T1, things to take note of... 

I was really impressed with the lady that helped me - I don't know if it's a tri person type thing or whether she's just super helpful. But I do get the feeling everybody involved wants a new guy to succeed and is helping where they can. 

Sooo, I tried out my tri suit. With a shirt over, since running in a tri suit in town just on a Sat morning may be frowned upon!

First impressions were awesome! On the bike it was just there. Whilst running I felt no amount of padding, yet when I rode there it was - I only did a 20k ride, but still.

For the duo next week, not a problem... but got thinking yesterday for the XTerra - surely after the swim all traced of shammy cream will be gone. Soooo... is that one of those what happens in T1 stays in T1 situations? Or how do you get around that problem?  :huh:  

Sooo, I tried out my tri suit. With a shirt over, since running in a tri suit in town just on a Sat morning may be frowned upon!

First impressions were awesome! On the bike it was just there. Whilst running I felt no amount of padding, yet when I rode there it was - I only did a 20k ride, but still.

For the duo next week, not a problem... but got thinking yesterday for the XTerra - surely after the swim all traced of shammy cream will be gone. Soooo... is that one of those what happens in T1 stays in T1 situations? Or how do you get around that problem?  :huh:

You apply liberally in T1, to hell with modesty. And again in T2 if you want to or need to. At IM I take cream with me, sun lotion and chamois and apply at some point,

Which brings me to sun cream....way more NB than chamois cream and in the heat of battle never ever forget to apply sun cream. This will save you much pain later. Even if overcast apply apply apply