So... my son & I are entered for the sprint event at Midlands Ultra this weekend.

Running & swimming are going well (despite a mild cold last week), but I haven’t done any riding. (Actually still need shoes too). So it’s definitely going to be a test-event.

Anyone else going to be at Midmar?

I did it last year, and blew up in spectacular fashion. Too hard and too dehydrated on the bike, and then the run almost ended me..

Its a cool event though, I like Ultra organised events. We also had such crazy fog on the morning they delayed the swim start for about an hour. 

Good luck to the both of you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... my son & I are entered for the sprint event at Midlands Ultra this weekend.

Running & swimming are going well (despite a mild cold last week), but I haven’t done any riding. (Actually still need shoes too). So it’s definitely going to be a test-event.

Anyone else going to be at Midmar?

I have also entered the sprint. It will be my first ever triathlon, open water swim and road run. So very scared indeed, especially of the swim.

But I have trained hard and hope to at least finish without embarrassing myself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have also entered the sprint. It will be my first ever triathlon, open water swim and road run. So very scared indeed, especially of the swim.

But I have trained hard and hope to at least finish without embarrassing myself.

Good luck. Sprints are a lot of fun, and the swim is short. Remember you will have a wetsuit on, so it's very difficult to not stay afloat. Keep breathing steady and try your best to stay calm. You will have a lot of fun, and will most likely surprise yourself. 

Where can one do pool training?

I’m not really keen on paying a full R500+ VA membership just to use the pool 3 times a week.

Are there any other cheaper places in the Centurion area?

Or should I just suck it up and pay the gym fee?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Where can one do pool training?

I’m not really keen on paying a full R500+ VA membership just to use the pool 3 times a week.

Are there any other cheaper places in the Centurion area?

Or should I just suck it up and pay the gym fee?

You on Discovery Vitality?.... if so you can activate gym booster and have gym fee paid back to you.  Costs me nothing to use the gym, just some admin of money being deducted and then repaid to me later in the month

https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-news-mar16-introducing-gym-booster

You on Discovery Vitality?.... if so you can activate gym booster and have gym fee paid back to you. Costs me nothing to use the gym, just some admin of money being deducted and then repaid to me later in the month

https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-news-mar16-introducing-gym-booster

I am not, but will look into it thanks!

Is vitality a standalone product, or do you need medical aid etc. with discovery as well?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

A full Virgin Active membership on a two year contract is only R400 p/m with a R50 activation / Admin fee. 

I am a member of VA and use their pool for swim training. However, if I were only going to use the pool and nothing else I would rather go somewhere else. At my VA there are only 5 lanes and one of them is always used by the swim coach. Of the remaining 4 at least one will be used by a mom with her kids - to play in. That leaves a mere 3 lanes which are not enough.

Very short notice I know, but if anyone needs accommodation at Midmar in the resort for this weekend - we booked but can no longer go.  Drop me a pm

I am a member of VA and use their pool for swim training. However, if I were only going to use the pool and nothing else I would rather go somewhere else. At my VA there are only 5 lanes and one of them is always used by the swim coach. Of the remaining 4 at least one will be used by a mom with her kids - to play in. That leaves a mere 3 lanes which are not enough.

These are good points.

The virgin I go to has 4 lanes and the pool is only 20m  :thumbdown:

Ideally I'd say find a school or public pool type deal. Or even better somewhere with a 50m pool. I've thought of signing up with St Stithians, they apparently have a world class setup.

I swim at Saints a few times a week with Troisports - but we only start at 6pm, so the sessions can get a little late. Our coach watches us, and gives feedback on technique, etc. I found it very helpful. The 50m pool is pretty cold from what I have heard. If the weather is bad, you will also miss your swim session. The pools are busy as they have a lot of swim and water polo teams training there, so it seems there are set times in which we get to swim. 

I have a gym membership at Planet Fitness for R300 p/m. Once I get my smart trainer, my gym membership is going to get a little expensive as I'll maybe use it once a week. I also find the pool is super chlorinated, to the point where it dries out my skin very quickly, and I am not sensitive to chlorine at all. 

To be honest I really I don't mind splitting the lane when it gets crowded. If you want your own lane swim early morning or late afternoon  :P

post-11586-0-06801900-1511522282_thumb.jpg

Pic is from Tri Europe website.

Edited by DA\/ID

To be honest I really I don't mind splitting the lane when it gets crowded. If you want your own lane swim early morning or late afternoon  :P

attachicon.gif10373_10153196326902063_7176999644141871736_n.jpg

Pic is from Tri Europe website.

Splitting the lane is fine if the other guys can:

Swim straight

Not mess around

Not be passive aggressive(swim so fast to hit your feet, then when you suggest he go in front - “nah bro, I’m good at your pace”)

Hi everyone,

So I have spent basically the last 3 days reading through this entire forum as I am quite interested in doing a Triathlon and am looking for a bit of advice.

I have been a strong swimmer growing up (water polo in school etc.) and have recently started running which I love! Will be getting a MTB (although I am looking at changing that to a road bike) in December so my mind naturally though 'why not combine the three'? 

Swimming as I said is my strong point of the three. My 2km swim PB is sitting at about 47m.

Cycling I have absolutely no idea as to how well/bad i would be

and with running I am still relatively new (able to maintain a 6.30/km)

My question is that I would like to know what events I should look for to try the sport out? I have seen some events do sprint distance, however these are only for 16-19yo if I am reading it correctly.

A 5150 event seems achievable if it was not for the 1h10m cut off for the run (after the prior two disciplines I am fearful of not making the cut-off 

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

So I have spent basically the last 3 days reading through this entire forum as I am quite interested in doing a Triathlon and am looking for a bit of advice.

I have been a strong swimmer growing up (water polo in school etc.) and have recently started running which I love! Will be getting a MTB (although I am looking at changing that to a road bike) in December so my mind naturally though 'why not combine the three'? 

Swimming as I said is my strong point of the three. My 2km swim PB is sitting at about 47m.

Cycling I have absolutely no idea as to how well/bad i would be

and with running I am still relatively new (able to maintain a 6.30/km)

My question is that I would like to know what events I should look for to try the sport out? I have seen some events do sprint distance, however these are only for 16-19yo if I am reading it correctly.

A 5150 event seems achievable if it was not for the 1h10m cut off for the run (after the prior two disciplines I am fearful of not making the cut-off 

Any help would be appreciated.

Remember the cut-offs is not per activity ( except the swim); it is enforced from when the race start. E.g. the cut-offs for Ironman 70.3 is

1:10 swim

4:05 bike

3:15 run.

If you swim 1 hour, then you have 4:15 to make the cut-off for the bike, and if you made a 1 hour swim, a 3:30 bike then you have 4 hours to finish the run.