Indeed, that's exactly how I got to this mess of missing my XTerra on Sunday. Not resting my one shoulder, "needing to" get my swim up to speed... the rest of the story is history.

CBlake, agree! I had one dam swim. Spent most of that on my back, staring at the treetops and trying to calm down. Just that idea of running out of steam and there's nowhere to stand to rest freaked me out completely! Interestingly though, I went much further before getting the tired feeling than I do in the pool - it must still be the mental "end of a length/lap" break I still give in to.

Will get there. For now, rest the shoulder and do some running and little riding over the weekend maybe.

Running out of steam is the least of my worries  :whistling:

http://is1.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/v4/4a/ca/09/4aca0970-f7fe-da2e-38b6-b649d489bbb8/source/1200x630bb.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-33815-0-82052100-1519123050_thumb.jpg

Running out of steam is the least of my worries  :whistling:

http://is1.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/v4/4a/ca/09/4aca0970-f7fe-da2e-38b6-b649d489bbb8/source/1200x630bb.jpg

same, same but different -  :thumbup: this is Hobie Beach at 06h00 this morning. The water was a little fresh but as flat as a lake. We were privileged to share the water with a school of dolphins about 500m out close to 6 pack, and for the unsuspecting swimmer it can still be both a frightening moment as much as a  :eek: wow moment.

bucket list  :clap:

Indeed, that's exactly how I got to this mess of missing my XTerra on Sunday. Not resting my one shoulder, "needing to" get my swim up to speed... the rest of the story is history.

CBlake, agree! I had one dam swim. Spent most of that on my back, staring at the treetops and trying to calm down. Just that idea of running out of steam and there's nowhere to stand to rest freaked me out completely! Interestingly though, I went much further before getting the tired feeling than I do in the pool - it must still be the mental "end of a length/lap" break I still give in to.

Will get there. For now, rest the shoulder and do some running and little riding over the weekend maybe.

I suspect I had anxiety attacks in my first two open water swims. Would get into the water, couldn't catch my breath or hold proper front crawl form. I did a few open water swims with my tri group (in a dam), and due to that my first half IM swim went really well. Came in 3 minutes under my expected time, and didn't have any shortness of breath. I think the trick was visualization, staying calm at the start (by chatting to a friend) and slowly building up to my desired pace at the start. 

I scuba dive a lot (well, used to before triathlons), dived in some really questionable and rough conditions (sea and dams), and still got hit with anxiety in those swims. I thought I wouldn't have an issue when I started with triathlon training as I have dived in really stressful conditions. I was so very wrong. 

Another trick is to also try learn to catch your breath while swimming. So maybe try that in the pool as part of your training. Do 50m super fast and then carry on swimming, but slower to catch your breath. 

Edited by EmJayZA

So Deloittes is on Sunday, therefor I need to do my 5hr ride on Saturday. I will feel a lot safer doing my long ride in the Cradle on Saturday in stead of the usual Rayton/Bronkhorstpruit route. Bronkhorstpruit Saturday traffic is way more dangerous (my opinion).

But I heard that Berg n Dal is on this Saturday? As far as I know, they will be racing through the Cradle? Do they close the roads, or can we still park and ride our own thing at the Cradle whilst the race is on?

5hrs in the cradle...that sound like ALOT of laps. Haven't rode their since 2015. 

Another trick is to also try learn to catch your breath while swimming. So maybe try that in the pool as part of your training. Do 50m super fast and then carry on swimming, but slower to catch your breath. 

Had my first proper panic attack whilst training the other day. Even though I was in the pool and could just stand up, I forced myself to get myself back together in the water. Immediately rolled over onto my back until my breathing was sorted, then kept swimming while muttering "relax <insert expletives here>" to myself (talking to yourself underwater helps with breathing out BTW :blush: ). Finished my set and went home thinking oh boy. Hopefully this session will help IF I do get an attack in the water.

Definitely have to go do some open water swims before June.

So Deloittes is on Sunday, therefor I need to do my 5hr ride on Saturday. I will feel a lot safer doing my long ride in the Cradle on Saturday in stead of the usual Rayton/Bronkhorstpruit route. Bronkhorstpruit Saturday traffic is way more dangerous (my opinion).

But I heard that Berg n Dal is on this Saturday? As far as I know, they will be racing through the Cradle? Do they close the roads, or can we still park and ride our own thing at the Cradle whilst the race is on?

5hrs in the cradle...that sound like ALOT of laps. Haven't rode their since 2015. 

As far as I know, there will be no road closures in the area. 

I did 4.5 hours this weekend. A loop from Bidon to caves and then back up to Bidon is exactly 45km. I did two loops and then a few KMs up and down the caves road. Around 1000m of ascent. 

You are welcome to follow me on Strava for access to my ride info. I will be riding on Saturday too (4 hours), and welcome to meet me and I will guide you for as long as you want to stick with me as I am most likely slower than you. My ride is also a Z2 ride, so not pushing it either. Drop me a PM if you interested. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Will be in the cradle on Saturday for a 5:30hr ride, but we ride from fourways.  

The cradle is open, there are no road closures for the Berg en Dale... the route is normally from Maropeng, into the caves road, then past the lion park and round to valverde, then down satellite hill and past something country to avianto and onwards

Tx for the feedback! I will also be parking at Bidon. Looking forward to see some of you out there - haven't rode there in 4 years so a few loops won't be that boring then  :clap:

Honk if you see a slow turtle on an Argon

Anyone doing the Grabouw Xterra this weekend?

Edit: think there will be quite an international contingent there. Saw a guy at the pool in Stellenbosch Virgin Active yesterday who was shredded like f***ing lettuce, all sponsored up and doing 40 sec 50's with both his legs tied up, and paddles the size of truck wheels.

Edited by HDW

I was entered - first try at tri - but buggered up my shoulder royally and still may not swim. My daughter had a ball at the kids event on Friday though! Hopefully it tickled her interest.

Side line...

Anybody here doing the Diamond Marathon on Saturday? Going to see my folks in KBY and looking at doing an EASY 5hr to get some hours on the legs. Should be a flat race?

Side line...

Anybody here doing the Diamond Marathon on Saturday? Going to see my folks in KBY and looking at doing an EASY 5hr to get some hours on the legs. Should be a flat race?

Good luck ????. Cutoff for the marathon is 5hrs, so you’d better aim for 4:59 ????.

Looks like it’s going to get very hot very early, so be sure to pre-hydrate & make good use of the seconding tables. (Remember to pack drinks for your trip to Kimberley).

Now that i have done the Xterra Grabouw, i want to do more triathlons/duathlons.

Where can i find a calendar for the western cape?