Cape Town Cycle Lane safety

triguycpt

With all the attempted bikejackings along the cycle lane in Cape Town, predominantly by the Woodstock area, I'm rather not willing to risk it - are cycles allowed through the harbour area?  I've heard from some that they don't allow it?  Otherwise what are the other options of cycling out of town - the highway?? 

I'll repeat this, it's in the safety thread if you search:

Unless you have a permit i.e. you work in the area or are a member of RCYC, the Port Authority should not let you onto the access road.

There's a strong possibility you could get mashed by some pretty large vehicles hurtling along that stretch of road.

The cycle path is a lot safer. More cyclists travel this way without incident than most people think.

Northbound: Using the road up to the Church Street off ramp is feasible but can be very dangerous at peak times: crossing the exit is dodgy and immediately after the traffic merging section just before the exit onto Marine Drive. Once you're on Marine Drive it's OK but look out for trucks.

Thanks.... and how about the return route?  I know of 3 attempted bikejackings along the cycle path this week alone, and an attack last week, so I'm very hesitant in using it now..

I'll repeat this, it's in the safety thread if you search:

Northbound: Using the road up to the Church Street off ramp is feasible but can be very dangerous at peak times: crossing the exit is dodgy and immediately after the traffic merging section just before the exit onto Marine Drive. Once you're on Marine Drive it's OK but look out for trucks.

I have been commuting to town from Table View  along the the cycle lane since it opened and have had one incident where unfortunately my bike was stolen.I continue to to commute and am a lot more vigilant and aware ,one is vulnerable to crime on some of the quieter sections of the cycle lane and especially from the Woodstock bridge to Town section that stretch is starting to look like a squatter camp authorities seem powerless to do anything about this ,the new fencing is broken in places,it makes one think that the guys who are supposed to be monitoring the cctv camera system are all asleep ,but my main gripe is with pedestrians  using the lanes they seem to have no clue or just don't care about staying in the left lane or right lane they insist on blocking both lanes.        

Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. It's very good that you've kept going.

And keep being aware, don't behave like a victim, those predatory bastards somehow pick up on it. Make them know that you know, it's all about how you set yourself.

A little aggression as you come over the bridge seems to keep them out of the way.

The gaps in the fencing really annoy me. All the money for the nice new anti climb fence and a week later it's ripped open and never repaired. How long ago was that?

There's been security early morning this past week. But it comes and goes.

I agree with the pedestrian thing, especially if you're unlucky enough to get to the bus stop just after it's offloaded, my bike is almost completely silent whilst pedalling, but even the loud clacking from the freehub when I coast doesn't always get heard.

I used to have a referee's whistle but lost it during an OTBI. So until I get round to buying another I'm shouting "Oy Oy".

It sometimes works...

I'm not going to stop using the cycle path.

The more who use it the better it gets.

I use the lane every once in a while when I cycle to Table View from Town to meet up with a colleague and then cycle back to Town. 

When cycling in alone it is usually still dark and my front light is 900 lumens so I'm confident I can blind my assailant if necessary. Still it is pretty dodge and a lot of aggressive riding  ( fast and confident) scares pedestrians out the way! 

When cycling there is at least two of us so we are better off! 

Safety in numbers!

Perhaps a starting point would be discuss on meeting spots and times and commute together.

With all the attempted bikejackings along the cycle lane in Cape Town, predominantly by the Woodstock area, I'm rather not willing to risk it - are cycles allowed through the harbour area?  I've heard from some that they don't allow it?  Otherwise what are the other options of cycling out of town - the highway?? 

I have been commuting to town from Table View  along the the cycle lane since it opened and have had one incident where unfortunately my bike was stolen.I continue to to commute and am a lot more vigilant and aware ,one is vulnerable to crime on some of the quieter sections of the cycle lane and especially from the Woodstock bridge to Town section that stretch is starting to look like a squatter camp authorities seem powerless to do anything about this ,the new fencing is broken in places,it makes one think that the guys who are supposed to be monitoring the cctv camera system are all asleep ,but my main gripe is with pedestrians  using the lanes they seem to have no clue or just don't care about staying in the left lane or right lane they insist on blocking both lanes.        

Safety in numbers!

Perhaps a starting point would be discuss on meeting spots and times and commute together.

we have a set ride out of town at 5:15pm from the trail lodge at the start of the cycle lane ... all are welcome to join us.

we also leave bayside every morning at 6:45am ... invite open here too.

Ref's whistle works well on the crowded section and they are friendly,joke with them about giving them a yellow card for not giving way.

Section from Lower Church to Paarden eiland dicy especially going over the bridge where the speed comes down to under 20kph and under the next N1 bridge.Confidant riding is key,make eye contact so that they know you are watching them.Also stand up to make yourself look bigger.Keep Pepperspray close at hand in case you fall you must still be able to get to it quickly.Prefer to ride without front light in that section as a flashing light gives the bad guys early warning.Also ride close to the fence in case somebody is waiting in the bushes.Metro police tel 021- 4807700

Ref's whistle works well on the crowded section and they are friendly,joke with them about giving them a yellow card for not giving way.

Section from Lower Church to Paarden eiland dicy especially going over the bridge where the speed comes down to under 20kph and under the next N1 bridge.Confidant riding is key,make eye contact so that they know you are watching them.Also stand up to make yourself look bigger.Keep Pepperspray close at hand in case you fall you must still be able to get to it quickly.Prefer to ride without front light in that section as a flashing light gives the bad guys early warning.Also ride close to the fence in case somebody is waiting in the bushes.Metro police tel 021- 4807700

in our we also group use a whistle through that section to clear a path.

I've been using the cycle lane pretty much every weekday for the last 5 years at all hours of the day and night and, touch wood, no incidents. My strategies for staying safe...

- Turn lights off when riding between town and paarden eiland. Stealth!

- Use N1 during peak traffic hrs and traffic is still slow moving

- Ride in the bus lane to avoid being trapped between the fence and the bushes when passing people. Less chance of being attacked by pedestrians and more chance of getting away

- Keep an eye out for people in the distance, so you'll have time to turn around if it doesn't feel right

- Also stand up and smash it when passing dodgy looking people, look assertive and ready for them to shoulder charge you

Archived