Hard Tail and Soft Tail?

flatwheel

Would like to hear some opinions on the need for a hardtail and a soft tail for the average MTB'r. I current have a Scott 29er soft tail and a Merida 29er hard tail but the Merida is mostly doing service in the garage as the Scott is just so much nicer to ride.

Do your guys use both you soft tails as well as your hard tails?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*full suspension. 

Soft tail is a completely different concept, with no pivot points. Like an old cannondale scalpel.

now that that's out the way, your 2 bikes are very similar in their application, so it's not surprising that the one that is more comfortable is getting more action. 

Only time IMO you should have 2 bikes of the same discipline (XC racing) is if you're ACTUALLY racing, and one of them would have the edge over the other on certain courses. 

Otherwise it's just a waste of space, and you'd be better served with a bike with a different focus like an All Mountain (Enduro) bike, Jump bike, road bike, DH bike etc. 

Or just sell both and get a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. 

I ride only a hardtail.

A the time a good deal came around on upmarket hardtail, I was honest with myself with the type of riding I do and bought it.

I still enjoy it very much and bar 1 event, never felt the need for a soft tail.

Not saying at all that a hardtail is the best option, just works for me, especially on the maintenance side.

But, will love to get my hands on a proper soft tail for some fun in the sun days.

*full suspension. 

Soft tail is a completely different concept, with no pivot points. Like an old cannondale scalpel.

now that that's out the way, your 2 bikes are very similar in their application, so it's not surprising that the one that is more comfortable is getting more action. 

Only time IMO you should have 2 bikes of the same discipline (XC racing) is if you're ACTUALLY racing, and one of them would have the edge over the other on certain courses. 

Otherwise it's just a waste of space, and you'd be better served with a bike with a different focus like an All Mountain (Enduro) bike, Jump bike, road bike, DH bike etc. 

Or just sell both and get a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. 

Now that is what I want!!  Will complement the Vertex nicely

I heard from someone that the Full suspension bikes actually "saves" your back especially if you are a bit older? Any views on this?

I heard from someone that the Full suspension bikes actually "saves" your back especially if you are a bit older? Any views on this?

Yes not just the back but the whole body and FS is better and more forgiving in technical as well.

Train on the hardtail and race on the duallie.

I find riding my duallie exclusively makes me a little lazy on the technical stuff.

I'vs specced my hardtail with cheaper/longer lasting stuff and my duallie with top end super light stuff. Get all your training in on the cheaper harsher bike then race on the lightweight killer - makes you feel super fast too :-)

Beat me to it. Was going to ask the same this morning.

I rode the Dual X this weekend and it was hell on earth for a few reasons:

• Beginner hard tail
  • Multiple punctures 
  • Stung by bee
  • Knees packed up
  • Dodgy LBS service

Back to the point... I am looking to throw away donate my bike and am looking at my options.

I have set my budget to 20k for either a hard tail or full suspension. My research has pointed me in a neutral position based on price etc etc,

From my understanding, respectable full suspension starts at around 30k. My bike has struggled over the last few weeks on long rides (30km - 60km) and I blame that to cheap components.

On Saturday I saw the guys on full suspension wizz past with a smile on their face (I long for that), but I heard hard tails are not only more bang for your buck, but you have more power and control. Interesting enough,, I was under the impression that with a hard tail, you have more power going up hill... but found myself spinning and struggling over technical climbs

TLDR: I need a bike (FS or HT) for roughly R20k and want to make sure I make the right choice.

Beat me to it. Was going to ask the same this morning.

I rode the Dual X this weekend and it was hell on earth for a few reasons:

• Beginner hard tail
  • Multiple punctures 
  • Stung by bee
  • Knees packed up
  • Dodgy LBS service

Back to the point... I am looking to throw away donate my bike and am looking at my options.

I have set my budget to 20k for either a hard tail or full suspension. My research has pointed me in a neutral position based on price etc etc,

From my understanding, respectable full suspension starts at around 30k. My bike has struggled over the last few weeks on long rides (30km - 60km) and I blame that to cheap components.

On Saturday I saw the guys on full suspension wizz past with a smile on their face (I long for that), but I heard hard tails are not only more bang for your buck, but you have more power and control. Interesting enough,, I was under the impression that with a hard tail, you have more power going up hill... but found myself spinning and struggling over technical climbs

TLDR: I need a bike (FS or HT) for roughly R20k and want to make sure I make the right choice.

For 20k you could find a decent second hand FS, but then budget another few grand to get the suspension serviced and pivots checked out before you hit the trails, and if possible even before you buy it. Worn suspension components are expensive.

Another thing to consider - the maintenance on a DS is going to cost you more than double what you'll spend on a HT, so unless you're comfortable with between R 3k and R 6k a year just on the squishy bits, stay away from the FS.

For 20k you could find a decent second hand FS, but then budget another few grand to get the suspension serviced and pivots checked out before you hit the trails, and if possible even before you buy it. Worn suspension components are expensive.

Another thing to consider - the maintenance on a DS is going to cost you more than double what you'll spend on a HT, so unless you're comfortable with between R 3k and R 6k a year just on the squishy bits, stay away from the FS.

Awesome advice, thank you

I am suspicious of second hand DS bikes, as you don't know the history, as well as the "secret" damage that has been done.

I am trying to avoid second hand MTB, but looking for a second hand road bike

So I guess HT it is, thanks

Momsen are currently running great specials on the full sus Vipa. I believe it is about R26k for the 2016 model. Solomon's or Northcliff Cycles. My friend paid R21 or 22k for a brand new 2015 model last week....there is value to be had! 

Momsen are currently running great specials on the full sus Vipa. I believe it is about R26k for the 2016 model. Solomon's or Northcliff Cycles. My friend paid R21 or 22k for a brand new 2015 model last week....there is value to be had! 

Yes, BUT then you'll be riding a VIPA. Ugh.

Archived