Guide RSC or Guide Ultimate

AllAboutRides

I want to upgrade from XT M785 brakes to Guide.....

Question! What is the major difference between Guide RSC and Ultimate?

If I'm correct the Ultimate have carbon levers and calipers?

Weight of both and heavier than XT?

Advice and feedback will be highly appreciated.

Sorry if there are already a topic like this

Go for the RSC. Only difference is the lever, caliper has been updated to the same as on the Ultimate so that's the only difference. 

Weight savings - not sure. Depends on hose length. Not a helluva lot either way, they're certainly not boat anchors. Well, they are, but you know what I mean.

Go for the RSC. Only difference is the lever, caliper has been updated to the same as on the Ultimate so that's the only difference. 

Weight savings - not sure. Depends on hose length. Not a helluva lot either way, they're certainly not boat anchors. Well, they are, but you know what I mean.

Was also think to go that way.....huge diffrence from XT???

80 grams lighter with carbon levers and titanium internals; otherwise they are identical

Ultimate aint worth the additional cash.

80 grams lighter with carbon levers and titanium internals; otherwise they are identical

Ultimate aint worth the additional cash.

Which rotors are you running?

I have both,a bike with xt's and a bike with normal Sram Guide r's, the guides win the the battle by far!Easily the best brakes that ! have ever rode with! :clap:  :clap:

I have both,a bike with xt's and a bike with normal Sram Guide r's, the guides win the the battle by far!Easily the best brakes that ! have ever rode with! :clap:  :clap:

So you have the RS version? Are the guides lighter than XT overall?

So you have the RS version? Are the guides lighter than XT overall?

If weight is your main concern, also consider the SRAM Level series.

You're not going to give a single... anything about 100g or whatever when you find yourself entering a corner at twice the speed you're comfortable with.

Get brakes that feel like you hit a tree when pull them, so that you never actually hit the tree.

actually no thats BS its just a cool analogy, get brakes that are powerful enough to make you do a stoppie on tar even though you're leaning as far back as you can, and brakes that have such good modulation that you can choose how long the stoppie is going to be, every single time.

i have both the RSC and the ultimates. I don't care much for what I consider less-than-marginal weight differences: out-of-the-box massive stopping power is the same for both: fadeless performance is the same for both: crash survivability seems the same for both (useless statement tbh).

I liked the arctic grey color offering on the Ultimates more though. Looks snazzy.But they sure as hell ain't the same when it comes to price.

The ultimates shipped with the then new S4 caliper, which is supposed to offer better heat management than the caliper on the Guide RSCs, which in turn, was a rebadged Avid XO trail caliper. The S4 caliper has more room around the pads for improved airflow, and uses aluminium pistons instead of the phenolic compound used for the pistons of the Guide RSC, RS and R calipers. The S4 caliper also offers better bleeding via a relocated bleed port on the caliper.

However, as of April 2016, the S4 caliper was introduced to all models within the Guide range.

So the question is: is the exponential increase in price over the RSC model worth the carbon lever and titanium hardware?

Think Capricorn went into as much detail as humanly possible; agree with his last sentence.

Except for the cool gun metal look of the carbon, doubt anyone not knowing which is which will tell you the difference in breaking;'ultimately the point.

Think Capricorn went into as much detail as humanly possible; agree with his last sentence.

Except for the cool gun metal look of the carbon, doubt anyone not knowing which is which will tell you the difference in breaking;'ultimately the point.

;) i was reaching for stuff to justify the much higher price. But that arctic grey color on the lever body is really nice. The carbon blade is still black, and they didn't use a layup pattern that screams carbonz! on the lever. It's rather unnoticeable unless you eyeball it up close.

Archived