[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

I've had these for years (hence the replaced Velcro). A pair of these on your ankles and an additional pair on wrists, covers most eventualities. BUT here in SA, apart from in winter where leg/arm warmers assist, I find the plastic hard to take on bare skin....

I've never knowingly seen them in SA. Anyone? They must be super cheap?

post-77414-0-33150600-1505121452_thumb.jpg

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had these for years (hence the replaced Velcro). A pair of these on your ankles and an additional pair on wrists, covers most eventualities. BUT here in SA, apart from in winter where leg/arm warmers assist, I find the plastic hard to take on bare skin....

I've never knowingly seen them in SA. Anyone? They must be super cheap?

attachicon.gifreflex.jpg

Yup, you can buy them locally.  Not sure where I got mine - Sportsmans?

Can also get these "anklets" with lights in them!  Certainly not me thanks.

Now that's a good idea. Without sounding anal, is a red light more/less effective for this? the reason I ask is I have plenty of cheapie red jobs that I could use, but v few white ones.....

I had a whole bunch of old Knogs lying about and put one at the frame so they could

reflect off the ankle bands and pedal tape.

Did a test with a car driver and he said DEFINITELY easier to be seen.

I am not talking flashing here but constant.  Any color works for me.

I had a whole bunch of old Knogs lying about and put one at the frame so they could

reflect off the ankle bands and pedal tape.

Did a test with a car driver and he said DEFINITELY easier to be seen.

I am not talking flashing here but constant.  Any color works for me.

Ta muchly. I also have a Knog, just cursed with a broken strap! Anyway a cheapy will do the job.

Ta muchly. I also have a Knog, just cursed with a broken strap! Anyway a cheapy will do the job.

Knog lights are the worst. there was a hubber selling them cheap cheap and I quickly learnt why. 

Knog lights are the worst. there was a hubber selling them cheap cheap and I quickly learnt why. 

Karma didn't work for me. I bought myself and a mate one; his as a gift from me. His is going strong after 2 years. Mine died a rapid death. Come on universe....... :cursing:

This thread is just awesome !

Some flipen brilliant ideas! Sepia, really going to put the idea of a small light on the seat tube facing forward. Genius!

I was thinking the other day of mounting a front light on my unused disc caliper mounts. Kind of like the old-school fork stanchion boss mount. Maybe some reflective tape on the rim would be illuminated nicely. Hopefully not dazzling the rider?

I was thinking the other day of mounting a front light on my unused disc caliper mounts. Kind of like the old-school fork stanchion boss mount. Maybe some reflective tape on the rim would be illuminated nicely. Hopefully not dazzling the rider?

This could work.

My only problem with a low-down (to see instead of to be seen light) is that the bumps and holes in the road are not seen too easily.  It is possible to misjudge the depth in the wee hours of the night.

Just what I have experienced,.......

I have tape on my touring rims and it certainly cannot be seen from a riding position.

Edited by Sepia

This could work.

My only problem with a low-down (to see instead of to be seen light) is that the bumps and holes in the road are not seen too easily.  It is possible to misjudge the depth in the wee hours of the night.

Just what I have experienced,.......

Agreed. I should have said a second front light mounted lower down. Partially to avoid cluttering the bars, but also to look a bit different to car-drivers. I foresee some cable-tie trials are due.....

Agreed. I should have said a second front light mounted lower down. Partially to avoid cluttering the bars, but also to look a bit different to car-drivers. I foresee some cable-tie trials are due.....

Absolutely agree 100%

This is one of the important points I try and abide by.  If something is different then it will be seen and looked at.

Still darn risky out there but I try to narrow the adds somewhat.

Along my commute route there is a regular pedestrian - always has a small torch in his hand.  The natural arm movement means a nice play op light, and he is VISIBLE !

This morning I encounter another pedestrian.  Walking in the road, DARK clothes .... no lights, no reflectors .....  :eek:

I drove to work with the car yesterday. 

The light was just breaking through the dark, and I was approaching a traffic light in a 4 lane road. I was in the 3rd lane and wanted to move over to the second lane, checked my blind spot, and there was a mamil. Riding in the middle of the road, all black, no lights or bell. 

I almost threw the car over. It was very very close to me adding to the statistics. 

I feel that cyclists need to take it upon themselves to make sure they are visible at all times of the day and not only when it is dark! FOR YOUR OWN SELF PRESERVATION!

It is always the drivers fault for not seeing us but we are also in part at fault for expecting drivers to see a small and often dark moving object while trying to concentrate on all the other hazards on 4-16 wheels.

I make it a point now to ride with lights on during the day as well now, along with the usual bright clothing....I use the black and darker colours for the bike parks.

What really got my attention was when on a morning ride with the better half. She had disappeared into the shadows of a large tree at the side of the road when I looked back to see if she was ok. The sun was so bright that all I could see was the flash of her front light  :eek: . Motorists would not have seen her either (from the front or back) had she not have had anything to grab their attention!

EDIT: spelling mistooks   :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr lee