headphones for the trainer

rudi-h

i use headphones when riding on an indoor trainer or running on a treadmill.  over the years I've gone through a number of headphones, probably spent more than R4k and still cant seem to get it right.

What i'm looking for is good sound quality, good fit (doesn't fall out when running) and high volume.

Ive lately been using the standard issue samsung headhones that i got with a previous S4 smartphone.  They're not the best but have reasonable sound quality, volume is loud enough and they don't fall out too easy.  Only problem is that the cable sheath is getting damaged from all the bending so i expect them to last only a few more months.

The previous buy that I spent good money on were JBL Reflect (wireless).  Great headphones, great sound quality, good volume, great fit... but the built in buttons (on, off and volume) often get stuck in positions so that it either doesn't go on, or it makes a very annoying beep sound by itself when it tries to set the volume above the threshold..

I would have gone for the "non-wireless" JBL models, but I've bought two pairs to date and both had meaningfully lower volume settings.  Most of the time I wear these in gym and I need it loud enough to take away the music and background noise.

Before that I had a few pairs of sennheizer headphones that ranged between good and great, but the last two "in-ear" versions were very similar to samsung etc. and not really worth the ~R800 pricetag

What do you guys use and what should I go out to buy if I want to get it right first time?

Get yourself some skullcandy headphones,nice sound,fits nicely in the ears,very durable with all the sweat ect. Cannot see the reason to spend a ridiculous amount of money on headphones,but that's just me.

Also started looking for a pair for the spinning bike, but I want a BT set of earphones.  I use my phone to see my speed and cadence on the bike, so need to get a wireless solution.  Only problem I can see is that you will sacrifice sound quality on your music when you use BT (if you have a Apple Device) due to a codec that needs to run for clarity and quality.

I did a walkaround in Menlyn the weekend and checked a few out, but could only find a BT Skullcandy set at Incredible, but not going to fork out R999 for a headphone set that I will only use for Spinning.

THere are some wicked specials on Amazon if you want to dig a bit - stuff that is normally $ 100 for approx $ 25 to $ 30 - just go dig a bit.

I use Bluetooth to avoid the cable mess - works on the bike as well.  :-) (Dont *** on me - my choice).

I am too old and senile to honestly say I can hear the difference in the codecs.

Just want the beat to get me up the tough bits. The louder the better.

THere are some wicked specials on Amazon if you want to dig a bit - stuff that is normally $ 100 for approx $ 25 to $ 30 - just go dig a bit.

I use Bluetooth to avoid the cable mess - works on the bike as well.  :-) (Dont *** on me - my choice).

I am too old and senile to honestly say I can hear the difference in the codecs.

Just want the beat to get me up the tough bits. The louder the better.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_27?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=bluetooth+in+ear+headphones+with+noise+cancelling+and+microphone&sprefix=bluetooth+in+ear+headphones%2Celectronics%2C398&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Abluetooth+in+ear+headphones+with+noise+cancelling+and+microphone

Theres can be only one... The best kept secret of earphone. Sony nw-ws413 waterproof all-in-one mp3 player. I don't know why anything else even exists. No wires, no Bluetooth connection rubbish, you don't have to carry your heavy phone with you, just rinse them afterwards to clean. And they have amazing sound.

Theres can be only one... The best kept secret of earphone. Sony nw-ws413 waterproof all-in-one mp3 player. I don't know why anything else even exists. No wires, no Bluetooth connection rubbish, you don't have to carry your heavy phone with you, just rinse them afterwards to clean. And they have amazing sound.

all my music is on either deezer or google play so I don't have any mp3's?  can these link to your phone?

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for a Bluetooth headphone that I can cycle outdoors with. I found the noise cancelling earphones, like the standard ones you get with you Samsung phone, don't work at all as you cant hear anything around you when you have them in. 

You shouldn't be cycling outdoors with headphones in my opinion...

For spinning I have been using Yurbud focus 100 Ironman edition earphones, work well, don't slip/move, have not been drowned by sweat(I have killed earphones with sweat plenty) and they won't break the bank.

I'm pretty full of sh!t when it comes to sound.

I've had sennheiser and they are among the best, but pricey. If you're willing to fork out 3k+ for headsets these guys are worth it.

But a little more budget friendly are the Razer Man o War headsets.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-manowar

I use these for everything from movies and gaming to suffering on the IDT

Don't get Razers - they are basically the gaming equivalent brand of Beats. Now if you ask: what's wrong with Beats? Nothing much, except you pay way too much for the sound and build quality.

But: earphones for the outdoors - WITH noise cancelling? I suppose this can be like the helmet thread: your safety is your choice. If you havr to cycke wiyh earphones rather get something without noise cancelling so you'll hear when a car approaches, when another cyclist wants to overtake, when you have some tech issue, etc, etc

Archived