spinning, yes or no

I have a IDT, but don't use it too much.  It tends to eat my tyres for breakfast smiley6.gif.  It normally goes with me on my site visits if bad weather is expected or if there are not proper roads to train on.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yip i do use mine' date=' in front of the tv, tv on mute and a good cd playing(HR's celine deon cd), still cant manage anything over an hr, just gets to boring, maybe if you could hook up with a few friends on there trainers it will help.[/quote']

I can see it now:

Friday night, couple of beers, a braai going on in the background, and a couple of guys sitting around the fire pedaling away like madmen!

LOL

mich' date=' or take the money you pay for spinning classes and invest in an IDT, greatest purchase that i have made.[/quote']

absolutely

yip i do use mine' date=' in front of the tv, tv on mute and a good cd playing(HR's celine deon cd), still cant manage anything over an hr, just gets to boring, maybe if you could hook up with a few friends on there trainers it will help.[/quote']

I can see it now:
Friday night, couple of beers, a braai going on in the background, and a couple of guys sitting around the fire pedaling away like madmen!

LOL

classicClapLOL

I can see it now:

LOL

this could actually work. i think.

I spin at least once a week, more if the weather plays up. I like to spin as if i were on the road so dont do areobic stuff like jumping up and down in the saddle like popcorn and waving my arms in the air.

As mentioned its no substitute for the road but better than not doing anything.

right so who is up for beer and idt this weekend? ha ha

got an indoor, but i get board on it very quickly, and when i get tired i don't have the motivation to carry on, (not like on the road when i have no choice but to carry on home)

cycing to work is not an option, live and work on opposite ends, and no ways i'm doing the concrete highway on my bike!!!

my company is moving to a new building (boast: the new WesBank building by Beyers Naude) and we are going to have a gym in the basement, so thats why i've decided on the spinning

And nothing gets you going like that lovely lady in the front screaming at you all the time !

You want to call me a lady??  Whatever floats your boat dude.......Wink

Spinning is NOT a substitute (Like Oom H said).  Done over and above your current cycling program it will help with leg speed and (this is my favorite pro) helps getting that lactic acid out of the legs after a hard race. 

ENJOY!!!

I spin and i know of a few hubbers that spin in the same class i spin in during the week.

I agree, you should not always do exactly as the spinning instructor says - some stuff they make you do is just childish - but the most part the spinning instructors that i have are pretty decent and they ride bike themselves so they know more or less whats right and wrong.

I spin during the week for a variety of reasons:

1:) Dont have to train at 5pm during high traffic so its safer

2:)Dont have to train in bad weather during the week

3:) With the fading light i can train 2 hours (double class) at high intensity without risking training in bad light.

For the most part i do a double class - nice workout and weight loss is phenomanal!

It is NB though to also train / race on the road / mtb on weekends - i do spinning 2-3 times a week and then crank the road / mtb out on both weekend days for 3 hours plus regardless of weather.

Will get you fit and strong for Spring

rofl, could i have sworn you just said "after a hard race"

that is not in my volcabulary (sp?)

i am unfit as unfit comes and trying to get a wee fitter!!!

racing is just not done by me at this point in stage,

main aim is to stay on the bike without falling off

right so here is my aim then (let me know what you think)

spin during the week (3x)

then hit the road on saturday and sunday or IDT in bad weather

hmm, might just be ready for the 94.7 then :)

right so who is up for beer and idt this weekend? ha ha

got an indoor' date=' but i get board on it very quickly, and when i get tired i don't have the motivation to carry on, (not like on the road when i have no choice but to carry on home)

cycing to work is not an option, live and work on opposite ends, and no ways i'm doing the concrete highway on my bike!!!

my company is moving to a new building (boast: the new WesBank building by Beyers Naude) and we are going to have a gym in the basement, so thats why i've decided on the spinning
[/quote']

Thats why you need a specific programme when using the IDT, usually high intensity training that does not give you time to get bored.

Another solution is to get a some kind of portable dvd player, hook it up close by, plug in earphones and watch your favourite programmes, stories, films, whatever while banking those km's.

Spinning during the week has improved my mountainbiking fun at the weekends ... and I've lost some kgs as a bonus (that and improved cadence has helped my ascents). Highly recommended - especially if you have a busy weekday schedule.

Another point with regard to IDT

i maintain that your discipline has to be of such a nature to ensure that u progress with fitness by being consistent when using an IDT that almost none of us will maintain consistency when using the IDT especially when using them for a pro-longed period (eg: 2 days a week every week during Winter)

I would say if u plan on using an IDT for a long period then i would say rather get a gym membership - u have greater variety and ur discipline with regard to attendance will not falter becos you will be motivated to go becos you will have interaction with ppl

getting to a spin class at a fixed time is a problem for me, so I bought my own Raleigh spinning bike for home use.    The flexible timing is good, and spinning is certainly better than doing nothing - but man, IT IS DEADLY BORING.   Even with a selection of those Chasek DVD's and an iPod, it's still deadly dull :(     But I need to do some form of exercise every day so I persevere - sadly running is no longer an option due to boggered knees :(