Help choosing new wheels.

Alastair_S1D

When it comes to spokes, trust your wheel builder, they will know what spokes are difficult to get in stock etc. Some of these weird shaped spokes are often out of stock! 

And nipples... 

Brass is the only option! 

Why is brass the only option if I may ask?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is brass the only option if I may ask?

Brass doesn't suffer from the same kind of corrosion as the Alu ones. I was able to remove brass nipples from wheels that were terribly crusty where Alu would have just snapped. 

Even if you plan on keeping the wheels light and fast the investment in brass nipples is worth it in the long run. They make for a better, longer lasting wheel. 

Brass doesn't suffer from the same kind of corrosion as the Alu ones. I was able to remove brass nipples from wheels that were terribly crusty where Alu would have just snapped. 

Even if you plan on keeping the wheels light and fast the investment in brass nipples is worth it in the long run. They make for a better, longer lasting wheel. 

Understood. So brass nipples.

Hubs now. Anyone have any ideas on XTR m9000 hubs and XT M8000. Thru Axels.

Hope Pro 4's. Any other recommended hubs?

Rims. Obviously ZTR crests are an option. What else can I look at. I do not think I will invest in carbon rims. Just too scared I break them. And its not every day I am on the market for new wheels.

Understood. So brass nipples.

Hubs now. Anyone have any ideas on XTR m9000 hubs and XT M8000. Thru Axels.

Hope Pro 4's. Any other recommended hubs?

Rims. Obviously ZTR crests are an option. What else can I look at. I do not think I will invest in carbon rims. Just too scared I break them. And its not every day I am on the market for new wheels.

Hubs are easy to choose... works on how much you want to spend... The below are all very very very good, you literally cannot go wrong with any of these. 

In lowest to highest cost order... 

Hope

Industry 9

DT Swiss

Chris King

Well I have been looking at Hope Pro4's. DT Swiss 240S. But I dunno how easy it is to source DT Swiss in SA.

And straight pull vs. normal spokes. Cause DT has an array of hubs available for both straight pull and normal spokes.

Edited by Alastair_S1D

Well I have been looking at Hope Pro4's. DT Swiss 240S. But I dunno how easy it is to source DT Swiss in SA.

And straight pull vs. normal spokes. Cause DT has an array of hubs available for both straight pull and normal spokes.

Personally I would go with normal J Bend spokes just for availability. 

Hope is my Hub of choice.

Bearings are a normal over the counter size, very rarely need new bearings and do not break the bank. 

At your weight you are spoilt for choice. If you want off the shelf then the new American Classic wide lightening is more than enough for you for weight and durability. Shimano I would not buy their mtb wheels with cone set ups.

Or a custom build but you will take a bit longer to get to a combo decision....hubs, spokes etc, so go with the AC wheels. They are around 1600g if memory serves. And less than 10k

At your weight you are spoilt for choice. If you want off the shelf then the new American Classic wide lightening is more than enough for you for weight and durability. Shimano I would not buy their mtb wheels with cone set ups.

Or a custom build but you will take a bit longer to get to a combo decision....hubs, spokes etc, so go with the AC wheels. They are around 1600g if memory serves. And less than 10k

You see I wouldn't touch AC wheels... seen too many dented and too many poked freehub bodies! 

You see I wouldn't touch AC wheels... seen too many dented and too many poked freehub bodies!

Personally denting a rim has little to do with the wheel. And more to do with a wheel/rider mismatch both from a rider weight, tyre pressure and riding style view point.

And while I don't run AC's personally....if you do have an issue they will sort it.

Edited by BigToe

Personally denting a rim has little to do with the wheel. And more to do with a wheel/rider mismatch both from a rider weight, tyre pressure and riding style view point.

Yes and no. 

Velocity Blunt SL is a pretty light rim, never dented one. I have 3 wheelsets and my brother has 2 wheel sets with Blunt SL's and no damage... 

Dependent on availability here I would love to do an all DT build.

DT 240S hubs.

DT Aerolite straight pull spokes

and DT XE331 rim.

If availability is an issue I will talk to my shop and see what we have available at our disposal.

That would be a kickbutt wheelset I reckon coming in at under 1500g. And if I have scratch left over, make a cheap trail/training wheel.

Edited by Alastair_S1D

My biggest problem with sourcing locally is not only availability but also price. Locally Hope EVO4 is around R6500, R5800on special and you're a sleek talker. The Hope RS road hubs R7000 locally if you can even fine them. Lets not even talk about DT Swiss 240s hubs

Import:

EVO4 R4200 ALL IN depending on exchange rate and youll have it in about 5 days tops. The road hubs cost exactly the same.

DT 240s MTB hubs R6700 also all in and on your stoep in about 5 days.

If I can save R1500 on the hubs thats the cost of the wheel build and the spokes. Im all for supporting local as the pricing on certain things locally is competitive, on other things the pricing is way off, Maybe its the wholesaler making a quick buck But hey thats just my opinion

Good luck!

For my money, I'd go with Arch EX on DT 240S, J-bend because the spokes are easier to source than straight pull. I'd go with Arch because they're wider and a fair bit stronger than Crests for a minimal weight penalty.

32 spokes per wheel, 3 cross lacing - don't be tempted to save a few grams but sacrifice strength.

Spokes, as long as they're decent quality and stainless, are all pretty similar. That said, Wheelsmith DB14 and Sapim D-Lite are marginally lighter because of their thinner (1.7 and 1.6mm respectively) centre sections, compared to the standard 1.8mm.

As mentioned elsewhere - brass nipples are the only nipples unless you want a disposable wheelset. Brass nipples don't corrode onto the spokes like aluminium do, so the wheel can be trued at a later stage if necessary.

Last, but probably most important - get the wheels built by someone who knows what he's doing. Make sure the spoke tension per side is even and the wheel has been stress relieved. Don't be tempted by the guy who beats everyone else on price - a good build takes time, and if it's too cheap there are most likely corners being cut somewhere.

I seem to be able to get good pricing on the American Classic Race 29's. I really like them actually. 24mm rim width is already well wider than the 19 width I had on the FUlcrum's. Thoughts on the AC Race 29's?

Nothing wrong with the AC Race Set, especially in your weight division...

At 90kg, I hit a hole in the grass properly, on a downhill stretch of singletrack. I thought the wheel would be destroyed, since I nearly went OTB.

The rim did have a kink on either side, but it held air and is still rolling today.

So they are softer than most, but if price is right; I'd say pull the trigger on them...

Probably find that the special offer is because guys are getting on the "wider is better" bandwagon, and agents are sitting on stock.