Help choosing new wheels.

Alastair_S1D

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know what a set of AMC hubs costs locally? I'd like to build using them but can't get a price. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my humble opinion:

Hope hubs

J-bend double butted spokes

WTB KOM, Spank, Velocity or Stans Arch rims

Brass nipples

Bulletproof, light enough, sub-R10k custom build

As mentioned elsewhere - brass nipples are the only nipples unless you want a disposable wheelset. Brass nipples don't corrode onto the spokes like aluminium do, so the wheel can be trued at a later stage if necessary.

I've honeslty never experienced this issue with alu nipples, and I've been buckling wheels for well over 3 decades. On my latest set I recall the builder using a lube on the spokes - perhaps this solves the corrosion issue?

Speak to David Marshall (member on the hub).

He gets parts at really good prices and is an excellent builder - he has built several wheel sets for me and they still roll like the day I got them.

In my humble opinion:

Hope hubs

J-bend double butted spokes

WTB KOM, Spank, Velocity or Stans Arch rims

Brass nipples

Bulletproof, light enough, sub-R10k custom build

^^^

This :thumbup:

I'm looking for a new build as well and have a spare set of Spank Spike Race's (26'r)... Loved those wheels. Now, I'm wondering if I can use the hubs in these Spanks to lace some 29'r rims... would this be an issue? Been very happy with the hubs and have all the converters. Seems pointless to sell the wheels for R2 - 3K and not even get enough cover a new set of hubs. 

I'm looking at Spank Enduro, WTB i35 / i29 or Easton Arc's (maybe Flow Mk3 if I can ever find them any where!). 

I'm looking for a new build as well and have a spare set of Spank Spike Race's (26'r)... Loved those wheels. Now, I'm wondering if I can use the hubs in these Spanks to lace some 29'r rims... would this be an issue? Been very happy with the hubs and have all the converters. Seems pointless to sell the wheels for R2 - 3K and not even get enough cover a new set of hubs. 

I'm looking at Spank Enduro, WTB i35 / i29 or Easton Arc's (maybe Flow Mk3 if I can ever find them any where!). 

No issues to lace any rim & hub combination. Just have to check the number of holes are the same.

No issues to lace any rim & hub combination. Just have to check the number of holes are the same.

I was tpretty much sure of that but then a LBS rock star started playing mind games saying that the flanges wouldn't be tall enough to create a stiff wheel and it'd wash about like a wet rag. 

#backyourself! 

I was tpretty much sure of that but then a LBS rock star started playing mind games saying that the flanges wouldn't be tall enough to create a stiff wheel and it'd wash about like a wet rag. 

#backyourself! 

LOL :lol:

Really, so for 29er wheels you have to have a hub with a larger flange to decrease spoke length? And which hubs are these I wonder...?

Yes... physics proves that a larger wheel (with same rim material, profile & width and spoke diameter) will be more flexible than a smaller wheel. But there are a number of 29" trail rims on the market. Add decent spokes and good builder. Sorted.

Heck for that money you could get AC wide lightnings and have a lightweight, decently wide wheels and a whole bunch of change.

agreed - I went this route and so far very very happy..and I weigh in at 85kg's

#backyourself! 

No.

Hi Alistair ,

I see you are in Benoni .

Not sure who you got quotes from but I would certainly trust Paul at Pro Cycles to build the wheels for you .

If you want a built set why not look at Citec wheels . Distributor is in Benoni so you can go view them . I am sure he will even let you try a set .

Don't rule out carbon rims. I'm 105kgs and riding a 1550g 25mm wide (internal) wheelset with no issues (Chinese carbon). And I ride like a bit of a tool, so I know the wheels have taken a beating.

Cwc seem to have a very good sale on Hope hubs. Might be worth picking up a set of those, if you plan on a custom build.

Hi Alistair ,

I see you are in Benoni .

Not sure who you got quotes from but I would certainly trust Paul at Pro Cycles to build the wheels for you .

If you want a built set why not look at Citec wheels . Distributor is in Benoni so you can go view them . I am sure he will even let you try a set .

Paul has always been a firm favorite of mine. Been using Procycles for years now. I just had to get multiple quotes from multiple shops for the insurance. Procycles and Infinity Multisport (I ride for them now) came out to be the cheapest.

The other thing I must ask now that I have chosen a wheel. I have been using Conti tires lately. My specific combination is a Mountain King II 2.2  Protection on the front and a Race King 2.2 protection on the back. I was thinking about swapping out my protections for RaceSport Conti's. Anyone know what the puncture resistance of the Race Sport tires are like? I moved over to protections cause I was getting tons of punctures on my old Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron EVO's.

Archived