Onza tires leaking

Frank.Hutt

I've been using the Onza Ibex front and Canis rear combination (60 TPI in both black and skinwall) since 2016 on 2 bikes.  Never had any of these problems. I've found the Onza's to be tough as nails - Grip is superb and I run them at low pressure 0.8 - 1 front and 1.6 - 1.8 rear - Terrain dependent unless I know there's going to be gravel or road - then a bit higher.

As for Batseal - It's everything they say it is. Great product and well priced.

I would suggest that when fitting a new tire run it at higher pressure for the first ride.

Always remember to have sealant levels checked regularly and replaced when necessary - for me roughly every 4 months.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like the front stopped seeping and the rear is a bit less. 

I'm going to try and replace the sealant first to see if it's not maybe too thin. Maybe I didn't shake the bottle enough when I filled it. 

Just need to find some time .

• 2 months later...

I took both my Onza tyres off today as pressurenow doesn't even holds overnight . Strangely, the Svelte rear tyre which leaks less shows very little signs of sealant stuck to the inside of tyre.

The Canis front tyre on the other hand, had a decent line/cover from the sealant on the inside. (See attached)

I took about a 100ml sealant out per tyre when I took the tyres off.

Now the question, according to the www, Rush Sports are the main suppliers of Onza? I see on the www that Onza has got a 2 year manufacturers warranty on the tyres and Ithink that maybe I got tyres from a bad batch. I have send Rush Sports an email and spoken to the shop that I bought it from. Will "they" swap or give me credit for the treat used like with car tyres?c328b7af545e5e1d0e89571a7eb2b854.jpg7dc91e92d96cb136276911747d71ee47.jpg

Edited by BSG

I took both my Onza tyres off today as pressurenow doesn't even holds overnight . Strangely, the Svelte rear tyre which leaks less shows very little signs of sealant stuck to the inside of tyre.

The Canis front tyre on the other hand, had a decent line/cover from the sealant on the inside. (See attached)

I took about a 100ml sealant out per tyre when I took the tyres off.

Now the question, according to the www, Rush Sports are the main suppliers of Onza? I see on the www that Onza has got a 2 year manufacturers warranty on the tyres and Ithink that maybe I got tyres from a bad batch. I have send Rush Sports an email and spoken to the shop that I bought it from. Will "they" swap or give me credit for the treat used like with car tyres?c328b7af545e5e1d0e89571a7eb2b854.jpg7dc91e92d96cb136276911747d71ee47.jpg

If I recall correctly, Rush sports dropped O za when they started supplying Maxxis.

The current supplier is Trailtech Cycles.

If I recall correctly, Rush sports dropped O za when they started supplying Maxxis.

The current supplier is Trailtech Cycles.

I have tried to phone Trailtech as well yesterday, saw their nr as the SA supplier on the www of Onza. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate it. [emoji1305]

I have tried to phone Trailtech as well yesterday, saw their nr as the SA supplier on the www of Onza. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate it. [emoji1305]

Speak to Hamilton - sales@trailtechcycles.co.za

Phone or email. Super helpful guy.

Speak to Hamilton - sales@trailtechcycles.co.za

Phone or email. Super helpful guy.

Hi Bennie,

Are you sure its not your rim tape thats the issue? Most often tyres lose air due to rim tape issue.

We are however no longer importing the Onza tyres we are just selling off what we have left in stock so you would need take up any warranty issues with Onza directly if you want to pursue that option.

Just received this reply, so what now? [emoji2955][emoji849][emoji17][emoji44]

Hope this won't end up in a R1500 school fees thing. Then I'll just cycle on the rims. [emoji24]

Hi Craig.

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Yes one can see the sealant seeping and leaking through the sidewalls. The shop I bought it from said that I had to just keep on filling with sealant and that it will eventually seal, but now I'm really gatvol struggling. I'm even too afraid to go on long rides because now they deflate in a few hours from 2 to less than 1 bar.

Who will I need to contact now since you guys are not the agents anymore because Onza website gave me your name as agents?

Thanks for your help. 

Edited by BSG

Oh no. That is not great news at all.

That would also explain the sale on all the Onza stock... Leaves me wanting to buy some cheap Aquilas but at the risk of seeping? Google suggests it’s an Onza issue.

Bit of a gamble now.

Oh no. That is not great news at all.

That would also explain the sale on all the Onza stock... Leaves me wanting to buy some cheap Aquilas but at the risk of seeping? Google suggests it’s an Onza issue.

Bit of a gamble now.

Jip so I'm then basically screwed [emoji854]

Jip so I'm then basically screwed [emoji854]

I would finish those tyres off on Tubes.

Tubes actually work out cheaper than Sealant Long Term.

I would finish those tyres off on Tubes.

Tubes actually work out cheaper than Sealant Long Term.

The dealer said that he'll give me 50% back and then I'll basically will only need to buy 1 new OTHER BRAND tyre?

The dealer said that he'll give me 50% back and then I'll basically will only need to buy 1 new OTHER BRAND tyre?

I'd take this offer and charge the rest to school fees. Sucks being in SA where some agents don't stand behind their product (or drop products willy-nilly leaving the consumer with no recourse).

I'd take this offer and charge the rest to school fees. Sucks being in SA where some agents don't stand behind their product (or drop products willy-nilly leaving the consumer with no recourse).

Take the offer.

My experience with ONZA is they have fantastic grip and roll very well but they are very difficult to seal. Leaks through the beads and side walls are common. I've used up to 250ml to seal one tyre and then it still leaked . Also the beads length seems to be inconsistent. different tyres on the same rim fit either lose to tight or just right. So each tyre and and the amount of insulation tyre over the rim tape to build up the tyre bed height is now a custom job for each tyre. I just stopped using them and if peeps bring them to me to fit I tell them to leave it for two days to ensure that they are tight and holding air. I won't recommend the Onza tyres either. Its a shame but they're just too hit and miss and labour intensive when there is a very competitive tyre market out there

Good Show, Well Done.

Here's Some Secrets for Tubeless.

Ride a Lot, Tubeless likes to be ridden, The Tread will wear out before the Sealant Expires and the tyres begin to crack.

Start the Tubeless With a Brand New Tyre and at Least 175 mL. I Like to Use 200 mL. (2.35 tyres)

Don't Leave Tyres Flat. If you are going to Store the Bike for a While Remove the Sealant and Store it in a sealed Bottle. Wash and Store the tyres.

If you use the same tyres front and back when the back wears Rotate the front to the back and buy a new one for the front.

If you are not actively riding. At least once a week Top Up Air and Just Ride Up and Down the Road a few times.

Don't Release Air from the tyres as some of the Liquid and Gasseous components of the Sealant will come out with the air leaving the Solid Component behind making the porridge thicker. Once it Gets too thick it will dry.

If your sealant is not CO2 Compatible. Do Not use CO2 even for a short period. It will damage the Sealant.

Finally If you only ride your bike Occasionally, Say Once a Month - Use Tubes.

Ride a Lot is the Biggest Untold Secret.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Good Show, Well Done.

Here's Some Secrets for Tubeless.

Ride a Lot, Tubeless likes to be ridden, The Tread will wear out before the Sealant Expires and the tyres begin to crack.

Start the Tubeless With a Brand New Tyre and at Least 175 mL. I Like to Use 200 mL. (2.35 tyres)

Don't Leave Tyres Flat. If you are going to Store the Bike for a While Remove the Sealant and Store it in a sealed Bottle. Wash and Store the tyres.

If you use the same tyres front and back when the back wears Rotate the front to the back and buy a new one for the front.

If you are not actively riding. At least once a week Top Up Air and Just Ride Up and Down the Road a few times.

Don't Release Air from the tyres as some of the Liquid and Gasseous components of the Sealant will come out with the air leaving the Solid Component behind making the porridge thicker. Once it Gets too thick it will dry.

If your sealant is not CO2 Compatible. Do Not use CO2 even for a short period. It will damage the Sealant.

Finally If you only ride your bike Occasionally, Say Once a Month - Use Tubes.

Ride a Lot is the Biggest Untold Secret.

I've used tubeless for quite a few years already, but I've had 2 bad lucks with the last 2 sets of tyres. Currently the Onza and before that I used the Spez something, also leaked like heck from start through the sidewalls.