The time has come...

AlanD

...to get a new bike????.

Through some saving, selling goods and some strategic financial chatting to the folks, I have managed to get a budget of between 25-30k and the best part is, the wife is onboard????.

Now of course you know what is coming next, what bike? With Soooo many bikes on the market it's overwhelming so we're else to look for advise than the almighty hub.

In order to help you help me, here are some details:

Riding style:

I enjoy riding trails. Don't do any Enduro/downhill but perhaps it's something I should try out. Not an xc rider or serious endurance machine BT rather the weekend warrior.

Mostly rife Thaba trails in Gauteng with some ride at Rietvlei but want to extend this to other trails.

Body Geometry:

I am 1.74m tall and 79kgs. I think a medium bike should suffice.

Current Bike:

I ride a Merida All Mountain 26er which is awesome and the plan is to hand the bike down to the wife so she can start riding and we can do this as a family which means we can go ride other trail all together.

Potential Bike:

I am thinking thinking a 27.5 do it all trail munching machine will do nicely.

I'm think along the lines of Giant Trance or Pyga 120, maybe the Pascoe. Maybe a Trek Fuel or Remendy but that is probably out of budget ????

New,Used or Build:

If I buy new, components are stock standard and I will have no cash to upgrade but have the comfort of a warranty. If I go second hand, can potentially get a better specked bike.

Building a bike will be highly rewarding, challenging and can learn a lot but I'm afraid this will be more expensive getting something really well specked.

Right, a quite browse through the classifieds and this is what I found:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/200460-2014-giant-trance-2-mediumupgraded-parts/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/201728-pyga-pascoe-140-650b/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172542-trek-remedy-98-275-with-new-slx-groupset/

Some of the above are large bit I guess I test ride wouldn't hurt.

What else should I consider? Please help me decide what would be best as this is probably a once in a lifetime buy so.habe to ensure its right

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...to get a new bike.

Through some saving, selling goods and some strategic financial chatting to the folks, I have managed to get a budget of between 25-30k and the best part is, the wife is onboard.

Now of course you know what is coming next, what bike? With Soooo many bikes on the market it's overwhelming so we're else to look for advise than the almighty hub.

In order to help you help me, here are some details:

Riding style:

I enjoy riding trails. Don't do any Enduro/downhill but perhaps it's something I should try out. Not an xc rider or serious endurance machine BT rather the weekend warrior.

Mostly rife Thaba trails in Gauteng with some ride at Rietvlei but want to extend this to other trails.

Body Geometry:

I am 1.74m tall and 79kgs. I think a medium bike should suffice.

Current Bike:

I ride a Merida All Mountain 26er which is awesome and the plan is to hand the bike down to the wife so she can start riding and we can do this as a family which means we can go ride other trail all together.

Potential Bike:

I am thinking thinking a 27.5 do it all trail munching machine will do nicely.

I'm think along the lines of Giant Trance or Pyga 120, maybe the Pascoe. Maybe a Trek Fuel or Remendy but that is probably out of budget

New,Used or Build:

If I buy new, components are stock standard and I will have no cash to upgrade but have the comfort of a warranty. If I go second hand, can potentially get a better specked bike.

Building a bike will be highly rewarding, challenging and can learn a lot but I'm afraid this will be more expensive getting something really well specked.

Right, a quite browse through the classifieds and this is what I found:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/200460-2014-giant-trance-2-mediumupgraded-parts/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/201728-pyga-pascoe-140-650b/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/172542-trek-remedy-98-275-with-new-slx-groupset/

Some of the above are large bit I guess I test ride wouldn't hurt.

What else should I consider? Please help me decide what would be best as this is probably a once in a lifetime buy so.habe to ensure its right

That Remedy with a shorter stem & wider bar would be AWESOME! 

Agreed that you're a medium frame person, though, maaaaaaybe you could fit a large of the right dimensions. 

Worth checking out for sure. 

Jeez.... 3 nice decisions to have even before you look elsewhere. First I thought exactly what Miles thought, then I thought the PYGA, then I thought the Giant if the other 2 are a bit out of range... then I thought the PYGA... then I thought the Remedy... agghhhh! 

Actually looking at your height you're on the money for a M without a doubt. 

That Remedy with a shorter stem & wider bar would be AWESOME!

Agreed that you're a medium frame person, though, maaaaaaybe you could fit a large of the right dimensions.

Worth checking out for sure.

I do like Trek bikes but when I'm in Gauteng and this Trek is in WC, not am option. Suppose I should have checked province first????.

What's your thoughts on the Trance Myles?

Jeez.... 3 nice decisions to have even before you look elsewhere. First I thought exactly what Miles thought, then I thought the PYGA, then I thought the Giant if the other 2 are a bit out of range... then I thought the PYGA... then I thought the Remedy... agghhhh!

Actually looking at your height you're on the money for a M without a doubt.

I know right? It's crazy. I thought it would be easy but good lord, it's so hard.

What is the wife getting????????

Don't know anything about mtbikes, but enjoy the buying experience????

Edited by LOOK695

What is the wife getting????????

Don't know anything about mtbikes, but enjoy the buying experience????

The wife is gettimg my current Merida AM 26er...but what she doesn't know is that ifs my sneaky way of keeping that beauty rather than selling it...sshhhoo

I do like Trek bikes but when I'm in Gauteng and this Trek is in WC, not am option. Suppose I should have checked province first.

What's your thoughts on the Trance Myles?

Didn't notice the pike, initially.

SUPERB option. And a good price, too. Do it. Medium for youuuuu.

If it was my money I would buy the Trance and get some lekker Five Tens with the change (assuming you don't have some already)...

If it was my money I would buy the Trance and get some lekker Five Tens with the change (assuming you don't have some already)...

Nope, have some skater shoes that work well so far...maybe a rear shock upgrade :-)

If that trance was my size I would have bought it.

Textbook upgrades. Great value for money.

If the pikachu was my size I would have been wondering how I feel about that extra 10k in my pocket because...hot damn.

The remedy? Good lord now we talking bucket list bikes. Its plastic too.

But it needs a dropper. and cockpit changes so i'll have to pass.

There aren't many options in noddy land though.

Tall people have the best of problems. 

If you buy a trance you need to buy one that has a pike or fox 34, you have to replace the rear shock and you have to do a through axle conversion which might require new wheels. So just be careful. A trance with no upgrades is rubbish

Id go longer travel 29er if i were you. Something with 140mm travel in front. Its the best kind of alround bike. 27.5 is more playful but its not the best alrounder. If had alot of bikes this year. Trance, reign, remedy 9,tallboy ltc, yeti sb95c, Pyga pascoe, pyga 120, specialized stumpy, spez enduro, spec epic, etc. Best 2 allrounders was the LTC (current) and then the spez Enduro

If you buy a trance you need to buy one that has a pike or fox 34, you have to replace the rear shock and you have to do a through axle conversion which might require new wheels. So just be careful. A trance with no upgrades is rubbish

Id go longer travel 29er if i were you. Something with 140mm travel in front. Its the best kind of alround bike. 27.5 is more playful but its not the best alrounder. If had alot of bikes this year. Trance, reign, remedy 9,tallboy ltc, yeti sb95c, Pyga pascoe, pyga 120, specialized stumpy, spez enduro, spec epic, etc. Best 2 allrounders was the LTC (current) and then the spez Enduro

Trance has a pike and is well sorted.