Stolen: Niner Jet 9 2013 (Stellenbosch)

robhcapetown

Stolen: Niner Jet 9 2013
When: 31 July 2016
Where: Stellenbosch, Western Cape

Went to lunch after Burger MTB Challenge. Bike locked on Thule rack with a Chain,. When I returned, the chain had been cut and the Bike ripped off rack.

Update: Having now read some comments below...

Firstly, thanks everyone for the 'condolences.

They managed to cut through the heavy duty combination lock right next to the combination. Also, managed to pull off the arm of the Thule 2 bike rack. Also, the car guard who was 'very friendly' before the incident disappeared!

Get further details about the incident in the Stolen Bikes section

That's a bummer. It's apparent that locking your bike doesn't suffice these days?

Which Thule bike rack is it by the way? and how thick was the chain?

How did they cut the chain? Seems a cordless angle grinder is becoming the tool of choice for lock/chain removal by criminals.

And the car guards there that was such a nuisance on Friday night, obviously saw nothing? Sorry about your loss.

How did they cut the chain? Seems a cordless angle grinder is becoming the tool of choice for lock/chain removal by criminals.

The lock is usually the weakest point on the system. I've cut a cable bike lock off once by cutting the combination part off. They are weakest there. Then I got a chain with a normal lock, and then I saw how easy these locks are cut or broken with two spanners. Now I use a padlock or a circular lock.

But if they want it, they'll make a a plan.

This pisses me off so much ....often think in need to connect a 20v battery to the chain with a few aligator clips ...if Only I know that DO*S will hopefully shock his nuts of 

Good luck man!

Archived