chain slip

Bitsy

Hi guys,

I got a new hardtail with full a full XT groupset (2x11). I have done about 100km on it and the chain has started to slip when Im on the smallest rear gear. All the other gears are fine and I am able to switch between gears with no issues. Checked the rear derailer and it is in line with every selected gear and does not try switching up or down a gear by itself.

There is no wear on any of the components and Im using a dry lube.

Any ideas what the issue might be? 

I've had this before... Try tightening the b screw a bit to bring the derailleur further around the sprocket

As mentioned by others, check chain length and derailleur tension.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

I had the same issue on my road bike. It only slips / jumps on 11. I had put on a new chain. I changed the 11 sprocket, as I had a spare which sorted the problem.

So check wear as well. Maybe the chain is worn or maybe the cassette is worn. It may be a new bike, but you wouldn't be the first to buy a new bike with worn or used components installed

Had the same problem on my 2X11, replaced the smallest casette ring and the problem was solved

Same problem.. Cassette was loose, so it was moving too and fro ..

Also had a situation where freewheel was messed, so it was tilting causing cassette to tilt and chain would then slip, but only under power .

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. I played with the tension screw, but it was still slipping. eventually took it past epic cycles in centurion and one of the guys tuned the gearing for me- said the chain was probably trying to jump on the "right side" of the last cassette, hence i didnt hear the typically sound of it trying to switch gears . Its all sorted out now. 

What happened is the new cable in the shifter stretched , thereby making the der. act out the ordinary 

What happened is the new cable in the shifter stretched , thereby making the der. act out the ordinary

Sounds like this and/or incorrectly set limit screws.

This is quite common on new bikes as they are set on a workshop stand and not tested on the road/trails.

The customer is therefore the one who will pic these things up, usually on the first ride and if he/she are not familiar with these types of issues it might look worse than it actually is to them.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. I played with the tension screw, but it was still slipping. eventually took it past epic cycles in centurion and one of the guys tuned the gearing for me- said the chain was probably trying to jump on the "right side" of the last cassette, hence i didnt hear the typically sound of it trying to switch gears . Its all sorted out now. 

thank goodness you didn't cut your chain or buy a new chain or replace your 11T sprocket or replace your freewheel :whistling:

Archived