Hand issues after long MTB Rides

Morning all,

Got a bit of an interesting one here.

Just got my MTB, and did my first biggish ride last week (About 50km through the greenbelt and up to  blockhouse) and first noticed this issue after that, and then did Die Burger 42km yesterday which has further exacerbated the problem.

I am having issues with my left hand towards the end and after these rides... grip strength is weakened in general, and my thumb in particular seems very 'tired' - almost stiff.

The thumb I am thinking may have something to do with the position of my shifter - potentially rotated too far so that I am having to reach too far when changing to the big ring. By the end of the ride yesterday I was reaching across with my ride hand to shift up. Just not sure if this is a symptom or a cause?

The weirder one is my pinky finger - I have very limited fine motor control over it. and when relaxed it involuntarily curls inward, making my whole hand curl in, almost like it wants to naturally claw. It also just does its own thing - if i put my hands in my pocket it usually ducks out by itself, and then as i have no fine motor control i cant get it back in on its own!

Could this be due to the fact that I am new and probably gripping the hell out of my handlebars on the descent? Or is there something else im doing wrong?

I'm very conscious of gripping too tight so try not to, and give my hands as much rest as possible on flats etc.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it is the case with you but I started MTBing last year and also had problems with my wrists/hands being unconfortable after the longer rides (especially in the colder weather).  I noticed that my break levers/shifter position was wrong, forcing my wrists into a dropped position while riding.  I dropped my brake lever position so that the line between my arm,wrists and hands were straight and that solved it for me.  I do still get a form of numbness in very cold temperatures but that I think is unrelated to the position and more related to age and cold weather becomming a factor.

If you haven't been riding for all that long, you are just getting the noob symptoms of new muscles/tendons and nerves being used in different ways.

They will strengthen and get used to the new flexes and stresses. Your posture and the pressure on the shoulders etc all contribute to numb/sore hands and fingers.

Time in the saddle, working on your bike position and strengthening the important stuff and it will all fade away.

Unless you have bad bike fit and you are pinching nerves somewhere.... Then you have to go and see someone!

There could be a number of issues. First, the fact that it's a new position with new stresses; and just like any other exercise, new stresses will show previous weaknesses. You might just need to get used to it.

Setup: there could be a number of issues here, to name a few

1. Bar sweep could be wrong for the position you ride in

2. Grips could be too thin for you

3. Grips could be too hard for you

4. Brake and Gear levers could be at the wrong angle

I'd say go to your LBS (or ask an experienced rider) for a "sanity check" on your setup to make you're not way out. Stick it out for a few more rides and see if it improves, and if not then go for a "proper" setup.

What you are experiencing is not normal, and not something you must just get used to or endure and hope it will go away. It sounds like your bike set up may be off and that it puts too much weight on your hands. The bar sweep may also be wrong. Your fork may also be too hard or the rebound wrong. Your front tyre pressure too high? The pounding your hands take over hours of bumpy terrain then harms the nerves.....causing temporary numbness......and that leads to what feel.

The solutions? Good bike set up and adjustments to fork. Fork plush with right rebound for terrain. Correct positioning of shifters and brakes. Higher rider bar? Shorter stem? Bars with greater sweep? Ergo grips? Bar ends? Learn to change hand position regularly. Don't use death grip on bars.  

There could be a number of issues. First, the fact that it's a new position with new stresses; and just like any other exercise, new stresses will show previous weaknesses. You might just need to get used to it.

Setup: there could be a number of issues here, to name a few

1. Bar sweep could be wrong for the position you ride in

2. Grips could be too thin for you

3. Grips could be too hard for you

4. Brake and Gear levers could be at the wrong angle

I'd say go to your LBS (or ask an experienced rider) for a "sanity check" on your setup to make you're not way out. Stick it out for a few more rides and see if it improves, and if not then go for a "proper" setup.

Thanks... Cyclelab did the full set up on purchase, so hoping they would be right? 

Might need it checked though as the left knee is also konking out on the climbs.

I'm definitely leaning toward the shifter position at this point as my right hand is absolutely fine?

What you are experiencing is not normal, and not something you must just get used to or endure and hope it will go away. It sounds like your bike set up may be off and that it puts too much weight on your hands. The bar sweep may also be wrong. Your fork may also be too hard or the rebound wrong. Your front tyre pressure too high? The pounding your hands take over hours of bumpy terrain then harms the nerves.....causing temporary numbness......and that leads to what feel.

The solutions? Good bike set up and adjustments to fork. Fork plush with right rebound for terrain. Correct positioning of shifters and brakes. Higher rider bar? Shorter stem? Bars with greater sweep? Ergo grips? Bar ends? Learn to change hand position regularly. Don't use death grip on bars.  

Thanks DJR - definitely trying to get used to a lighter grip!

For everything you mentioned, surely it should be the same for my right hand?

That is why I am leaning towards the shifter position?

I am away this week so wont be getting on the bike which will hopefully allow some recovery, and then will change the shifter and see.

Are you using your thumbs to do all the shifting or are you using a finger???

Thumb to get into the big ring... index finger to drop down?

Thumb to get into the big ring... index finger to drop down?

I am assuming these are shimano gears?

There is your problem, I had the same problem when I went onto MTB. Nobody told me you just slip your thumb past the one shifter to get to the other one. Makes life a lot easier and your bar angle will make sense.

I had the exact same pain you had and actually have damaged ligaments in my hand for doing an 80km race like that!

Hey Rhodent,

I am also struggling with some serious pain and discomfort in my RH during rides.

Vet reckons it is: DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis - so they are sending me off to the physio and some meds.

Basically it is overuse/strain on the thumb from changing gears etc

Maybe this can help you narrow the pain/cause down to a certain muscle or group.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

Archived