Hand issues after long MTB Rides

The ulner and median nerves in your hands are likely being compressed. The ulner nerve effects your ring finger and pinky and the median nerve effects the others. As mentioned by others - have your set-up checked as a starting point. Incorrect seat positioning, bar or shifters/brake position could all be causing you to hold on too tight. This is not normal for the distances that you are doing currently.

The symptoms that you are describing are quite common amongst extreme distance athletes- hooking of fingers etc

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming these are shimano gears?

There is your problem, I had the same problem when I went onto MTB. Nobody told me you just slip your thumb past the one shifter to get to the other one. Makes life a lot easier and your bar angle will make sense.

I had the exact same pain you had and actually have damaged ligaments in my hand for doing an 80km race like that!

Correct on the Shimano...

I will have to take a look when i get home as battling to visualise what you are referring to.

But Thank you!!

I will have to take a look when i get home as battling to visualise what you are referring to.

But Thank you!!

The lever you are using your finger to shift with can go both ways, you should be using your thumb to push it, not finger to pull it. 

This is where your pain is coming from, 100%. 

All money saved on further set ups and doctor visits can be either spent on Quebeka bikes or bootleggers vouchers :P

I use to have that ergo grips on my previous bike, also experienced numbness. went I went for a bike fit (belated) the lady turned those bike grips 3-5 mm up and never had issues again, just highlighting the importance of bike fit.

I really don't think it is shifting, unless you shifting as much as a formula 1 car in a race. I definitely suspect a bike fit is required

My girlfriend had a similar issue when she started riding. I got her a set of Ergon GS-1 grips and its made a world of difference. Just make sure they are angled correctly.

Bike setup is important, but sometimes time in the saddle helps too as others have pointed out.

My girlfriend had a similar issue when she started riding. I got her a set of Ergon GS-1 grips and its made a world of difference. Just make sure they are angled correctly.

Bike setup is important, but sometimes time in the saddle helps too as others have pointed out.

Agreed totally about time in the saddle...   but if theres an underlying issue it may just be made worse...

For me it was the same after altering my handlebar/brake lever position...

Put it back the way it was and all was good.

Easy answer for the left thumb issue, go 1x11.

Cost of upgrade will be less that the medical bills you are likely to incur for this. :clap:

As for the hand and limited functionality, google a thing called "wrist pump" 

Common in Motocross and Enduro's riders and effects the best on MTB'er without even knowing it.

But Thank you!!

I see what you mean about the shifter being able to go both ways with the thumb - but that surely would only add strain to my thumb which is already buggered from the shift to the big ring? The trigger vibe to change down with the index finger works great!

How much changing are you doing on the front? I cannot for the life of me believe that the shifting is causing you such problems with your thumb ..... Setup and stuff perhaps but not shifting the front ring, maar nou ja

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

How much changing are you doing on the front? I cannot for the life of me believe that the shifting is causing you such problems with your thumb ..... Setup and stuff perhaps but not shifting the front ring, maar nou ja

I

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the amount of shifting, but rather the angle of the shifters set up that is causing me to reach with my thumb, thus creating a situation where there this is a mechanical disadvantage for the tendons and muscles involved. Causing increased strain.

Doesn't explain the pinky tho.

And also doesn't explain the right hand being fine considering the shifters are the same angle.

Although less effort required to change at the back.

Too hopefully wrap this up, spending a week sleeping under the stars in the umfolozi should give the hand time to rcover. Theres no sense testing it now as it didnt get a chance to recover between my first ride and die burger.

I will try the shifter angle and see what happens.

Failing which - can anyone recommend a good place for a set up in CT that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Easy answer for the left thumb issue, go 1x11.

Cost of upgrade will be less that the medical bills you are likely to incur for this. :clap:

As for the hand and limited functionality, google a thing called "wrist pump" 

Common in Motocross and Enduro's riders and effects the best on MTB'er without even knowing it.

I doubt it is arm pump, arm pump is from holding on too tight and the forces on a mtb handlebars are far to little to cause that in my opinion. Also if it was arm pump he would have described the sensation of forearms feeling swollen like someone stuck a rugby ball in them and inflated it. I used to race enduro fairly seriously and you know when you have armpump, also get it when rock climbing and is usually from pulling and hanging on as opposed to pushing downwards. on an enduro/mx bike you are usually hanging on to the bars as the bike pulls away from you.

I think it is continuous downwards pressure on the wrist at the worng angle that is causing circulation issues and moving seat forward might force a more upright position shifting some of the weight from hands back to the bum.

• 2 weeks later...

So i played with the position of the shifter and that seems to have helped the thumb a bit...

But moving the saddle forward has made the problem of numbness worse.... affecting my right hand now as well!

So i played with the position of the shifter and that seems to have helped the thumb a bit...

But moving the saddle forward has made the problem of numbness worse.... affecting my right hand now as well!

Unicycle from now on?

Archived