Braking power: Rotor size, front vs. back

boemelaar_bob

Hi guys

So I have notices there seems to be a trend to have a smaller rotor on the back wheel than the front I.e. 160mm back; 180mm front.

This seems a bit back to front to me. Larger rotor have better heat dispersion and braking power. So why have them on the front...

Having larger rotors on the back wheel makes more sense.

I use my back brake far more frequently than the front. So my thinking is that I would better benefit from have a larger rotor on the back.

Maybe I ride differently to most?

I'd like hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite simply, the back wheel requires less force to lock, as it's "dragging" through the dirt, and your weight moves from the middle of the bike (during riding) to the front under braking. The front wheel has all the weight pushing it into the dirt, and is where the majority of the braking traction resides. 

Same concept as braking in a race car or bike - the brake bias is significantly front-biased. Same reason motorbikes generally have 2 rotors on the front vs 1 on the back, and cars have bigger front rotors and calipers. 

Hi guys

So I have notices there seems to be a trend to have a smaller rotor on the back wheel than the front I.e. 160mm back; 180mm front.

This seems a bit back to front to me. Larger rotor have better heat dispersion and breaking power. So why have them on the front...

I use my back break far more frequently than the front. So my thinking is that I would better benefit from have a larger rotor on the back.

Thanks

As Mayhem said, plus, you should be braking with your front more, as it has more stopping power.

Hi guys

This seems a bit back to front to me. Larger rotor have better heat dispersion and breaking power. So why have them on the front...

I use my back break far more frequently than the front. So my thinking is that I would better benefit from have a larger rotor on the back.

Thanks

i have 203mm front and 180mm back...

Its not really what you use the most but what stops you....front is the one

Hi guys

Thanks

I ride a 180 front and 160 rear on both my bikes. I also weigh 89kg... The type of riding I enjoy left me a little scared once or twice with a 160 on the front as it overheated and didnt bite much when needing to stop.

The 160 is generally fine but Id rather have the 180 than not need it, than need it and not have it.

Changed to a 180 and havent had an issue on any downhill section when needing to stop.

My front brake gets used more than the back, I actually dont know how much I use my back... I just ride.

As Mayhem said, plus, you should be braking with your front more, as it has more stopping power.

Depends if you're predominately using it to stop.

Back brake for attenuating speed (moderating it) through more technical / fast areas (just to keep the speed down without weighting the front too much) and front brake to stop. 

Depends if you're predominately using it to stop.

Back brake for attenuating speed (moderating it) through more technical / fast areas (just to keep the speed down without weighting the front too much) and front brake to stop. 

agree...i actually use back more for steering than braking.

i have 203mm front and 180mm back...

Its not really what you use the most but what stops you....front is the one

203??

Jussie pal, eat less, poo more  :whistling:

I weigh 61kg and I also have a 203mm front and 180mm back ......more for unduro riding 

But i could probably stop faster than my car if I try hard enough

Got guides on my patrol 180mm front and back. I weigh 105kg and haven't had an issue at all. I run sintered pads.

Sent from my Nokia 6310i

Guides are just on another level, tested a bike with them front and rear 203 and the stopping power is just mindblowing

Archived