Self sealing road tubes

Tjokkits

I once filled my road tubes with a bit of STANS and it worked pretty good.

I am also doing it at this stage. Seems to work even when pumped to 9 bar.

I once filled my road tubes with a bit of STANS and it worked pretty good.

I had mixed success with Stans. Once during a time trial it sealed and could finish, then during a wet training ride it didn't seal at all. Still using it though.

Make my own with Tyre Juice sealant which is cheap, the sealant can fit past a non removable normal valve. It seals small punctures quite well. Big ones it makes a mess and you throw the tube away.

I use them currently, But only when I commute. For racing I won't even bother. But they work. Few times i got a peace if glass or thorn through my tyre and it seals almost immediately. 

So if you considering them for training. Then it's great

I use them currently, But only when I commute. For racing I won't even bother. But they work. Few times i got a peace if glass or thorn through my tyre and it seals almost immediately. 

So if you considering them for training. Then it's great

Why not for racing? If there is a small chance it will save a puncture, then surely it is worth it.

I tried my rollers with and without tubes with sealant. The sealant makes no difference to rolling resistance. The rollers really accentuate differences between tires and setups.

At 9 bar. i agree. You most probably won't feel any difference. But down to 7 bar. You feel the difference. And remember as well. The sealant adds weight to your wheels. So you will go slower...

also been using them for some time now, and have been puncture free.

My only gripe is that they sometimes block the valve extenders. But if you check your pressure regularly then it doesn't happen.

also been using them for some time now, and have been puncture free.

My only gripe is that they sometimes block the valve extenders. But if you check your pressure regularly then it doesn't happen.

I found on the MTB, if you take the valve cores and soak them in paraffin, you can blow out most of the sealant. Maybe it can work with valve extenders.

Archived