Rodsmyboy

People are unloading their inferior 10 speed components in the classifieds like its cursed or something. You should be able to convert without spending too much.

True story.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano/SunRace 11-46T cassette (the SunRace one has better spacing between the gears) with a 34 chainring (on 27.5 wheel size) gives you the same granny as a 2x10 setup and almost the same top end :D

• 1 month later...

Shimano/SunRace 11-46T cassette (the SunRace one has better spacing between the gears) with a 34 chainring (on 27.5 wheel size) gives you the same granny as a 2x10 setup and almost the same top end :D

Not quite but close.

I was tempted to go for 2x11 for security... Road the 11-46 with a 34T OVAL today. Great combo up in JHB. The 32T was spinning out and difficult to balance at slow speed and high cadence.

11-46 with 34T is my new favorite gear setup. 

Not quite but close.

True, my initial calculations were a bit off. 11-46 with 34T has ~10% less bottom and top end than my old 2x10 setup.

I was tempted to go for 2x11 for security... Road the 11-46 with a 34T OVAL today. Great combo up in JHB. The 32T was spinning out and difficult to balance at slow speed and high cadence.

11-46 with 34T is my new favorite gear setup. 

Been riding the same setup for 2 weeks now, works great!

One more thing... Is it necessary for a chainguide on chain ring?

Nope. As long as you have a NW chainring you should not have any problems with chain dropping.

I see chainguides are making a comeback at podium level in the XCO scene, but I reckon it is more of a worse case scenario prevention (no time to deal with a dropped chain). I do wonder though: with the ridiculously long chain length required for the 10t-50t range, does chain dropping become more of an issue?

...but back to the point: you don't need a chainguide. Keep it minimalist as a 1x setup should be  :thumbup: