Rodsmyboy

Howzit.

I have been looking at doing this conversion for a while now.

I have a Merida Big99 XT-M 

Is there a reputable bike shop around Cape Town who can do a decent job? 

Would I have to change my rear hub for the conversion? Running Mavic Cross Ride atm with 3 - 10

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really comment on a Cpt LBS, but, Naas@Evobikes sell most of the upgrade kits at excellent prices. It's a 30min drive from Cpt, but I've never heard anything bad from him, so it might be worth checking out.

If you are going Shimano SLX, XT, XTR or SRAM NX, you don't need to change freehub - they all run on the standard Shimano/SRAM 9/8/10 speed hub - as you are currently running.

Your new components will be at minimum:

• Rear Derailleur
  • Rear Shifter
  • Cassette
  • Chain
  • Narrow-Wide (or similar tech) chainring.

If you are looking at SRAM GX, X1, XX1... dare I say Eagle, you will need of those fancy "XD Driver" freehubs as well, which you can get for your wheelset at a price... Technically GX, etc could run a "normal" NX or SLX/XT/XTR cassette, but let's keep things simple for now.

Have you considered 1x10? Then no need to change too much of your existing setup.

Edit: meaning you can slap on a 11-42 10spd cassette a NW chainring and a new chain. I went with the Rapide kit and am very happy with it so far.

You missed out on Evo's SLX 1x11 special at under 3k a week ago... Evo & CWC have it now at 3.3k and both have fitment facilities on the premises. Have heard nothing bad about the 1x11 SLX but if your budget is bigger you can always move up to Xt. Xtr.  You will however have to still fork out for a 1x front chainring with these specials.

Howzit.

I have been looking at doing this conversion for a while now.

I have a Merida Big99 XT-M 

Is there a reputable bike shop around Cape Town who can do a decent job? 

Would I have to change my rear hub for the conversion? Running Mavic Cross Ride atm with 3 - 10

The Bike park !

Honest mechanic and will get the job done swiftly.

I dont think you'll have to change the rear hub if i stand corrected.

Have you considered 1x10? Then no need to change too much of your existing setup.

Edit: meaning you can slap on a 11-42 10spd cassette a NW chainring and a new chain. I went with the Rapide kit and am very happy with it so far.

The price difference between a pimped out 10 speed and normal 11 speed drivetrain is very small. If you "trade in" (i.e. sell on the hub) your current 10 speed components for 11 speed components the upgrade won't cost you much.

I recently upgraded to 11x XT myself. The biggest difference was not the range or the extra cog at the back, but having a fresh RD+Shifter.

I went full xt m8000 1x11 a few weeks ago, must say it's great! I would recommend it any day. Was a tad expensive though, there are plenty cheaper options.

Only drawback with 11speed is the cost of the chains, cheapest I could find is around R500 and apparently they wear faster than 10 speed chains, life of a drive train could be around R1500 just in chains.

I recently bought (have not fitted) XTs 11speed upgrade kit. I was looking to buy the SLX but after brexit it was cheaper getting the XT (with SLX cassette) and then i got the I-Spec-B shifter that goes with my brakes (Not yet available in SLX so you have to get standard mount) then what any place in SA was charging. It was roughly 2.7k for the parts and another 400 to get it in my hands.

I will have a look at that. Did you not have to change your rear derailleur? and is there a compromise on speed/granny?

I will have a look at that. Did you not have to change your rear derailleur? and is there a compromise on speed/granny?

I was able to keep using the RD.

The compromise will be on top end speed and on the granny. However, as i understand it, and knowledgeable hubbers please correct me, the loss in top end speed/climbing on a 1x10 won't me more or less than a 1x11 as this will be determined by the size of the chainring.

I was sent a similar table as attached by a fellow hubber as a means to better understand the gearing ratios between cassettes and single/triple combos.

My drivetrain was shot so i thought i would try the 1x thing. I went with a 30t chainring and the 11-42 as i'm still festively plump and can't power up the hills with a 34t like some of the ysters around here can. On the 30t you are very close to the ratio of your current granny gear and on the top end you would lose the 3 highest gears. As i mostly use my MTB for offroad riding top end is not that much of an issue for me. Are the hills a bit tougher yes very slightly, but impossible no.

Hope i got the gist of it correct. i am still learning as i go but loving every bit of it.

post-72594-0-95321500-1471861165_thumb.jpg

And what would be the best all round ratio? 

32t front and 11-42 cassette?

For WP mountains a 32 front .Gauteng a 34 works well 

Archived