[Event] The Swartberg100 Gran Fondo (Cancelled)

@BigJohnSwan

Yeah this talk of "bunch" is not doing it for me. Going into this so unfit, fat and blind, I'm just going to ride it out and take in the views.

Sounds like 'adventure mode' to me

Awesome

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like 'adventure mode' to me

Awesome

Exactly!! I don't have the legs to push it up the hills, so no need to risk the descents.

Will be my first time riding CX bike on gravel... ever, bike is in CPT so can't even take it out now to test on the gravel stuff

"tentative" seems to be my chosen strategy ;)

For Hell and Back I got my fat ass up there on 32/32 with some effort but never considered walking. Some short sections at 18% if I remember correctly. You should be fine 34/32.

Rode the pass in early January with a 42 up front and a 36 on the back (and 41-degree heat). Took an hour and a half from the Cango Caves turnoff. The last three kays are relentless, and I will probably run something lighter to manage that section after 130+km. I don't remember anything much steeper than the 12-odd percent - it is all very gradual, no kicks. The surface was all easily rideable then, I hope it hasn't deteriorated much or it might be fun on skinny tyres.

The worst section (mentally) is the well-sign-posted lookout point that looks like it must be the top, but isn't. The *** just starts there... the top is such an anticlimax.

Exactly!! I don't have the legs to push it up the hills, so no need to risk the descents.

Will be my first time riding CX bike on gravel... ever, bike is in CPT so can't even take it out now to test on the gravel stuff

"tentative" seems to be my chosen strategy ;)

heard that before... until the first bicycle come past...

Enjoy! very jealous. 

Hi All

The descent of Swartberg Pass has a few sections that are rocky and loose, this year but are still rideable on a gravel bike, it is a small percentage of the overall descent. The first two gravel sectors are incredibly smooth, have a look the footage on youtube it's at the end of the first gravel sector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSDegI8bkw  The footage is taken on board a Santa Cruz Stigmata.

It would be a mistake if you already have a gravel bike to change to a full sus simply because of 1 or 2km of bumpy descent. The time you will lose is minimal by slowing down for that section against the overall time you will lose by riding a mountain bike. This event is fantastic on a endurance road bike / Cyclocross Bike / Gravel Bike.

I will be chatting to the Prince Albert municipality to grade the pass if possible before the race.

Enjoy the training

John Swanepoel - Race Director

That gravel sector so so smooth that anyone on a MTB should actually be penalised and forced to use the single-track down the valley closer to the mountain range on the right.  :thumbup:

Going up on the 22nd some riding to be done,Seweweekspoort and Montagu Pass.

Am in 2 minds whether to use the Hard Tails or our CX Bikes.Not all that familiar with the CX bikes so will be more of a challenge.

Anyhow can't wait to have my butt kicked up Swartberg by the mountain goat calling herself my wife!!!!!!!

Rode the pass in early January with a 42 up front and a 36 on the back (and 41-degree heat). Took an hour and a half from the Cango Caves turnoff. The last three kays are relentless, and I will probably run something lighter to manage that section after 130+km. I don't remember anything much steeper than the 12-odd percent - it is all very gradual, no kicks. The surface was all easily rideable then, I hope it hasn't deteriorated much or it might be fun on skinny tyres.

The worst section (mentally) is the well-sign-posted lookout point that looks like it must be the top, but isn't. The *** just starts there... the top is such an anticlimax.

Definitely more than 12%

post-275-0-36927800-1491557902_thumb.png

Edited by Velouria

Settle this like men! Post a Strava segment ;)

There is a shorter Strava segment for the last 1.2 km. Avg gradient of 15% and shows gradients of 36+% inside the segment.  Not a true and accurate reading.  Like many other Strava gradients.

And the Synapse is a reinforced frame built to handle some tough rough stuff and with extra comfort over them gravel

Looks like a challenge on my steel roadie when its done. I can easily run 32mm on there.